TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Any guidance on what to make of the Bakers SJT feedback report? What would be considered a good outcome?
Seen a bit of a discussion about SJTs and the reports today and having done Baker’s yesterday and plenty of others this cycle, I’ve learned not to read into them too much as we’ve no idea how they’re really assessed.

I’m sure you have to hit a certain benchmark, but some firms will view them holistically alongside your application, others may want one of the pillars to be particularly strong and overlook others; we just don’t know. In any event, I never really pay too much attention to the reports as they always seem to contradict each other, despite being based on the same qualities. Reed Smith thought my grit was a 7/9 and Baker’s thought it was a 3/9.

I think none of us really know how they’re assessed, so I just answer honestly and try not to overthink it. If they don’t like you off that, then oh well.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Thank you everyone for your advice - it is really appreciated! Wishing you all the best luck :)
Thought I would chip in as honestly the months post-graduation where I couldn’t get a legal position when all my friends were getting them was really challenging. The hardest part is most places seemed to be completely unresponsive, which sucks when you put a good amount of effort into a CV/cover letter.

I’ll caveat all this by saying I don’t think having a non-legal position after graduation is an issue. Firms know how difficult it is to secure legal work experience given how saturated the current market is and emphasise the skills you can pick up in other fields. So, even if you end up in hospitality, consultancy, recruitment, banking, whatever it may be, you’ll still develop valuable skills that will boost your applications!

However, if you are looking for legal jobs specifically, the only advice I can really give you is not be particularly fussy and apply for everything you see that you feel you’d be qualified for. Whether that’s a paralegal, legal admin, legal secretary, anything is a good starting place and feel it’s all about getting your foot in the door. LinkedIn/Indeed are always a smart bet on where to begin your search; I know a few others on here have recommended FlexLegal and that another route!

I wouldn’t be too fussed about the area of law either - I’m currently in insurance law, which certainly isn’t my main field of interest, but it’s still been useful experience that I’ve learned much from and can speak about on applications.

All in all, I’d just say stay persistent and grab any opportunities you can. Best of luck! :)

Last edited:

lawtrainee

Esteemed Member
Oct 22, 2023
Thought I would chip in as honestly the months post-graduation where I couldn’t get a legal position when all my friends were getting them was really challenging. The hardest part is most seemed to be completely unresponsive, which sucks when you put a good amount of effort into a CV/cover letter.

I’ll caveat all this by saying I don’t think having a non-legal position after graduation is an issue. Firms know how difficult it is to secure legal work experience given how saturated the current market is and emphasis the skills you can pick up in other fields. So, even if you end up in hospitality, consultancy, recruitment, banking, whatever it may be, you’ll still develop valuable skills that will boost your applications!

However, if you are looking for legal jobs specifically, the only advice I can really give you is not be particularly fussy and apply for everything you see that you feel you’d be qualified for. Whether that’s a paralegal, legal admin, legal secretary, anything is a good starting place and feel it’s all about getting your foot in the door. LinkedIn/Indeed are always a smart bet on where to begin your search; I know a few others on here have recommended FlexLegal and that another route!

I wouldn’t be too fussed about the area of law either - I’m currently in insurance law, which certainly isn’t my main field of interest, but it’s still been useful experience that I’ve learned much from and can speak about on applications.

All in all, I’d just say stay persistent and grab any opportunities you can. Best of luck! :)
This is really helpful - thank you so much :)

MrHubertLouis

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 5, 2021
Seen a bit of a discussion about SJTs and the reports today and having done Baker’s yesterday and plenty of others this cycle, I’ve learned not to read into them too much as we’ve no idea how they’re really assessed.

I’m sure you have to hit a certain benchmark, but some firms will view them holistically alongside your application, others may want one of the pillars to be particularly strong and overlook others; we just don’t know. In any event, I never really pay too much attention to the reports as they always seem to contradict each other, despite being based on the same qualities. Reed Smith thought my grit was a 7/9 and Baker’s thought it was a 3/9.

I think none of us really know how they’re assessed, so I just answer honestly and try not to overthink it. If they don’t like you off that, then oh well.
Same here, I did two SJTs with the same pillars and my results were completely opposite.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Thanks for the replies! As a non-law student, I am struggling to apply to paralegal jobs given I have limited experience in commercial law. It is hard as law firms want legal experience, but to get this experience I need to already have had previous legal work. Apologies if this doesn't make sense and all advice welcomed!
In my experience to get a foot in the door is email your CV and create a short but sweet ‘cover letter’ style email about why you like the firm and why you think you’d be a fit. Best to target smaller firms. If one of them likes you, chances are they might have something for you. Only takes one :) and if it’s a small firm can build from there. Ik it sounds annoying when everyone on here are applying to VSs and TCs at huge firms, but this has been a successful method for literally all my friends who I did the law conversion with and can then move to a bigger firm w paralegal experience or can use it as legal experience for TCs. Hope that’s useful :)

Reactions: Sharon Wu

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
i did the bakers vi... the more i think.. the more im like uh oh. i think i tried to make the questions a little too much into the questions i wANTEd them to be. but ahhhh its a learning experience. fingers crossed i guess!

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Anyone passed a VI and floundered their words in one of the questions? Think I got detailed points in all mine but I kept stuttering 😭
Yes I completely stuttered my way through a VI question, it was ironically about my strengths where I was saying strong communication skills… but I acknowledged it by saying it was a little ironic and laughed, and just carried on. I still got through to the next stage, because it’s about your holistic approach to all the questions and I like to think you can show your resilience if you don’t let yourself get caught off by it. Maybe they also appreciated I could laugh about it though 😂

• Love
Reactions: newtothis

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
I am a bit confused with Orrick's application questions. They are asking for a cover letter but also why commercial solicitor and why Orrick questions, how am I supposed to differentiate my responses for this?
Did anyone work out when Orrick's vacation scheme runs? It doesn't seem to be on their website - it only says 'in the summer.' I realise the chances of securing it are small, but it would be good to know when we mentally need to block off...

Reactions: lawbear123

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thanks so much for the reply! Would recommend connecting with trainees as opposed to associates? @axelbeugre
That is what I did personally so I probably would recommend that but associates are fine too but they are very busy most of the time so they might not even respond to you, but if there is someone you are interested in talking I would suggest to message them and see.

Reactions: MayaM0921

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.