Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, does anybody have any advice on approaching the following application question? - "If you could have dinner with 2 people from any point in history, who would you choose and why? Please convince us to why they would be the best choices." I feel like this is such a left-field question and I haven't come across anything like this before!
Pick a couple of people who really suit your interests or curiosity, or who aligns with your own values.

Try to not pick obvious names whether they be very prominent “celebrities” or people who are very closely linked to law - you are not going to stand out from the crowd if you say Baroness Hale or Barack Obama.

Try to find something a little more unique you can do the “convince us” part of this question.

I would also try to make clear how you are defining why they would be the best dinner guests. Different people will have different views on what makes a good dinner guest, and so by making this clear you are likely to be more persuasive.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how to answer Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? What structure should I follow?
Focus on what you hope to gain from the placement in terms of experience, skills or knowledge, and try to make this more tailored to the firm you are applying to.

For instance is there a particular practice area you are keen to experience? Or are you hoping to gain more insight into types of work? Maybe you are hoping to refine your drafting skills in a corporate environment rather than academic.

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
Pick a couple of people who really suit your interests or curiosity, or who aligns with your own values.

Try to not pick obvious names whether they be very prominent “celebrities” or people who are very closely linked to law - you are not going to stand out from the crowd if you say Baroness Hale or Barack Obama.

Try to find something a little more unique you can do the “convince us” part of this question.

I would also try to make clear how you are defining why they would be the best dinner guests. Different people will have different views on what makes a good dinner guest, and so by making this clear you are likely to be more persuasive.
Thank you so much Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.