TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi, I had a question about how much is too much to include in an application form. I am writing an application form and the work experience section has pretty much unlimited entries. I currently have 12 entries (I have grouped together voluntary roles and open days/workshops). Is this too much?

Would it also be wrong to include extracurriculars under the work experience section given there isn't a question asking to include those?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

LawAspirer

Standard Member
Feb 19, 2024
Anyone that heard from Goodwin? I applied in December for the vacation scheme and I've seen some people on here get their rejection or interviews on 24th of January. Is this usual or am I just worrying for no reason and I should just keep waiting ?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience, maybe from speaking with grad rec or through their own applications, that gives them some reassurance that grad rec do actually consider mitigating circumstances *in a meaningful way*?

I spend so much time and emotional energy rehashing my mitigating circumstances in each app and sometimes I feel firms couldn’t care less or worse, they think I am making excuses. I get a lot of rejections post-app and I just feel slightly frustrated at times because I have worked really hard to get where I am, and I feel a bit demoralised if everything I worked for is undone because of unavoidable things outside my control.

So would just be good to hear from others that have had their uni grades affected by mitigating circumstances - and specifically, if anyone knows how exactly law firms consider them? And if there are firms people would recommend I apply to that are a bit better in dealing with mitigating circumstances? Perhaps any that are a bit more holistic in their approach. Or conversely, any firms they’d recommend I’d stay away from in the future?
Please feel free to PM me and I can help with how you are detailing your mitigating circumstances. I wouldn't expect the need to rehash these from application to application, and I can help so the wording does not come across as making excuses.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.