TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
When asked to speak about a commercial story that interests you, is it a mistake to talk about a generic/widely covered story?

For instance, if I planned to talk about the EU AI Act that is set to come into force and how that’ll impact firms/their clients, would that be fine as long as my answer is well structured and informative, or would you suggest going for something a bit more unique?

Any thoughts, @Jessica Booker?

hehostressed

Jan 2, 2021
Can I ask advice re including someone you know at the firm bit of the application? My mentor recommended me using their name but I’m definitely not even remotely near the requirements of the firm (and they know that). I just wondered if there’s actually any benefits to it/do they even look at it?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When asked to speak about a commercial story that interests you, is it a mistake to talk about a generic/widely covered story?

For instance, if I planned to talk about the EU AI Act that is set to come into force and how that’ll impact firms/their clients, would that be fine as long as my answer is well structured and informative, or would you suggest going for something a bit more unique?

Any thoughts, @Jessica Booker?
I wouldn’t say that this is a generic story - generic would be if you talked about AI generally rather than this specific act. Because you are focusing on a specific act, it will be more focused. If you felt it still needed more focus, you could always explain how it will particularly impact one particular industry/sector so it is even more specific (but I don’t think this is necessary).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey all, I have my very first AC coming up and not sure what to expect in terms of how the day is organized, since it's only 2 assessments but the AC is over 5 hours long. Are there other stuff you do during an AC? Pls excuse my very elementary question lol, would love any insight on the structure of the day in general!
Also the AC I'm doing is virtual b/c I'm based outside the UK, if that changes things.

@axelbeugre would love to hear your thoughts!
It really depends on the firm. I personally only did 1 hour assessment centres so I do not know what you might be expected to do.

What I would suggest is reaching out to people who are future trainees or trainees at the firm who have recently gone through the process and will be able to tell you precisely what the process entails.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Can I ask advice re including someone you know at the firm bit of the application? My mentor recommended me using their name but I’m definitely not even remotely near the requirements of the firm (and they know that). I just wondered if there’s actually any benefits to it/do they even look at it?
It will certainly not hinder your chances but it is not in any way the only thing that will get you in in my opinion.

So my advice is, since the person confirmed that you can put down their names, I would do just that, but I would not rely on this and have confidence in your application and what you bring to the role as that will certainly increase your chances of being offered an interview!

Reactions: hehostressed

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
Where did you hear that? I know the forum isn't the be all/end all but it seems a lot of us applied there and I haven't seen anybody talk about hearing back post-test yet.
I remember seeing on the website that they would be holding interviews throughout February and March and obvs it’s towards the end of Feb now so I wouldn’t be surprised? But weird no one here has heard either way. I wonder if yoh applied nearer the deadline they would likely get back to you later as I remember reading that they would start to review applications a month before the deadline? Fingers crossed for all of us tho

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
I remember seeing on the website that they would be holding interviews throughout February and March and obvs it’s towards the end of Feb now so I wouldn’t be surprised? But weird no one here has heard either way. I wonder if yoh applied nearer the deadline they would likely get back to you later as I remember reading that they would start to review applications a month before the deadline? Fingers crossed for all of us tho
I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if there have been interviews based on the info on the website - it used to say that they review and schedule as applications come in but I'm unsure if they've changed it. I only asked because every "have u heard from withers" post here always has a bunch of dislike/disagree reactions (aside from being Very Concerned my application slipped into their junk folder, of course!).

Reactions: Fd321

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.