TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi - I got rejected post VI for W&C Summer Vacation Scheme, 2024, Can I apply for the Direct Training Contract for White and Case. Please let me know?
You can but it is very difficult to be successful in the same year if nothing in your experience will significantly change, for instance you have some vacation schemes on your CV or significant work experience. I personally would wait for the next application cycle, especially if it is a firm you are keen to apply to.

Additionally, you could email them and ask them if you can reapply and how will you be assesses if nothing in your application changes, but I am pretty sure they will say the same things. Last year I got rejected from them after the video interview stage too and I did ask this question and they encouraged me to apply next year and that I probably would have not been successful at the direct training contract stage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How easy is it to train at solid silver circle firms such as Travers and Macfarlanes/NRF and move ‘up’ to either Magic Circle or US firms?

And what is the hiring process for moving laterally once qualified. Is it the same style process i.e., motivational, competencies etc?

Any thoughts? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
Qualified interviews tend to be a lot more skills and knowledge based and going into some of the details of the matters you have worked on, how you have worked with clients etc.

Your ability to move is going to depend on a variety of factors, so is near impossible to determine at this stage. It will depend on where you qualify into, your experience as a trainee, and how in demand those lawyers are at the time

I would do a search on LinkedIn, searching one of the firms you have listed and some MC firms names and then filter by people. You can set the filters so you search by the firm they are at now, so by selecting the MC firms you’ll get a sense of how many people have moved between on firm to a small range of others.

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    How easy is it to train at solid silver circle firms such as Travers and Macfarlanes/NRF and move ‘up’ to either Magic Circle or US firms?

And what is the hiring process for moving laterally once qualified. Is it the same style process i.e., motivational, competencies etc?

Any thoughts? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
    It's entirely possible, I know people who have done it, although as a partner so it was more of a they come to you scenario. As said above, its impossible to tell you how/when it will happen. The advice I was given for this situation is get the TC wherever and then work hard, the number one reason which will affect whether these firms want you or not is whether you are good at your job or not. Are you technically competent, would you work well in the team, are you good at BD and other soft skills, could they see you as a partner? For the moment, focus on doing the best you can on your TC, it doesn't matter if you want to move to those firms, you need to be good enough first and have the evidence to show that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.