TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
hey! did you apply for their vac scheme? i applied at the start of the month but have not received anything since
I applied 21 Feb and received the test an hour ago - maybe check your spam?
Same as this commentator - I only received the test recently. If you guys have any tips we could have a chat? I dunno what to expect. I've done SJTs for Pinsent, Mills and Reeve, Womble Bond, Linklaters and Irwin Mitchell so far with varying results.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Lol don't sweat it. We only got an update today, like an hour or so ago. I'm sure summin will come soon :) I understand its a nervy time but just trust they'll get back to you. I mean the deadline is tomorrow (1st of March)
hmm i applied on 4feb and assumed they would just check all applications after the deadline as that's what they stated in their confirmation email, not sure if i should contact them or wait a few days more

• 🤝
Reactions: legallybrunette8

SR99

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Same as this commentator - I only received the test recently. If you guys have any tips we could have a chat? I dunno what to expect. I've done SJTs for Pinsent, Mills and Reeve, Womble Bond, Linklaters and Irwin Mitchell so far with varying results.
    I don’t know too much either, but from the email it sounds like it’s a situational judgment test with some math elements.

I assume this test is automatic right?

DieHard

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.
    I can assure you, people are not getting VS's easily. Behind every 2 VS offers are an inbox full of PFOs from other firms. It's partly a numbers game at the end of the day. However, it is also about putting in the work. You need to be using career advisors to review your cover letters and putting in the time and effort to research each firm for their unique selling points - at a bare minimum.

You also need to ask yourself if you have enough experience to draw on to be competitive. Law attracts ambitious people, and said people are more likely to have taken the initiative to bolster their CVs with good grades, a good university, leadership positions on relevant commercial-focused societies and involvement in other extra-curriculars (Ie. sport). If you haven't taken the initiative to do this, you have put yourself at a disadvantage, but there are many ways to fix this, for example, paralegalling (sic) for a year

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023

I get your point! But I didn’t get my VS scheme easily.
    I’ve had multiple rejections this cycle 47 to be exact. I gave up in December after a PFO post TI From Fieldfisher as I fumbled it soo hard. I stopped applying and didn’t come on the forum for weeks as it knocked me down a few pegs. I saw loads of people getting VI’s and AC’s I thought I rather be happy for others than feel sad over this rejection. I try to like everyone’s post that succeeds in their application as it’s such an achievement to get a test invite or a VI. I then got several AC invites at the end of Jan for applications I made prior to my TI rejection in December. I also used my failed interview as an advantage to succeed in my other interview.

I really do believe in uplifting and helping others! Those on the forum who have messaged to see how my applications are over the past few months are the ones who have recently just got AC’s and VS. Their positive energy is the reason they got their offers and that’s what the firms saw too. They didn’t get it handed to them. (I know you didn’t mean your comment it in a malicious way)

Also Ive seen ppl only apply to MC and US firms…. you need to have variety you can always move laterally. Aim high but be realistic, all my top firms I wanted in the beginning paid under £100k funnily enough.

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    I can assure you, people are not getting VS's easily. Behind every 2 VS offers are an inbox full of PFOs from other firms. It's partly a numbers game at the end of the day. However, it is also about putting in the work. You need to be using career advisors to review your cover letters and putting in the time and effort to research each firm for their unique selling points - at a bare minimum.

You also need to ask yourself if you have enough experience to draw on to be competitive. Law attracts ambitious people, and said people are more likely to have taken the initiative to bolster their CVs with good grades, a good university, leadership positions on relevant commercial-focused societies and involvement in other extra-curriculars (Ie. sport). If you haven't taken the initiative to do this, you have put yourself at a disadvantage, but there are many ways to fix this, for example, paralegalling (sic) for a year
    I was so tempted for a second to write a full essay about why the careers advisor bit of this is nonsense but I foresee it devolving into W&C 2.0 drama.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    I don’t know too much either, but from the email it sounds like it’s a situational judgment test with some math elements.

I assume this test is automatic right?
    ITS AMBERJACK. FFS. Tbf i've not had a terrible outing with AJ, but I can't tell if I have been good with them or not. The results alone don't tell you if you're successful or not. I am still waiting for 2 responses from firms I took the Amberjack for, to hear if I'm successful or not

• Sad
    Reactions: legallybrunette8

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    ITS AMBERJACK. FFS. Tbf i've not had a terrible outing with AJ, but I can't tell if I have been good with them or not. The results alone don't tell you if you're successful or not. I am still waiting for 2 responses from firms I took the Amberjack for, to hear if I'm successful or not
    Amberjack is shit.

DieHard

Star Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    I was so tempted for a second to write a full essay about why the careers advisor bit of this is nonsense but I foresee it devolving into W&C 2.0 drama.
    You don't need to write an essay to state a point. Perhaps you've had a bad experience with using them, but on the whole having someone review your cover letter, particularly an advisor who is likely read 100s/1000s of cover letters, is a net positive. If you have a connection in the legal field willing to review your cover letter, fine, but most people don't have that option, and even if you do, how many cover letters do you expect them to read?

• 🤝
    Reactions: neonorange

lawtab

Star Member
    Jul 19, 2023

I feel you. Last night I was doom scrolling on LinkedIn and saw someone post they got 5 VS offers (2 MC and 3 US) and a TC offer… like MAJOR respect for them but damn leave some opportunities for the rest of us😭😭

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    I get your point! But I didn’t get my VS scheme easily.
    I’ve had multiple rejections this cycle 47 to be exact. I gave up in December after a PFO post TI From Fieldfisher as I fumbled it soo hard. I stopped applying and didn’t come on the forum for weeks as it knocked me down a few pegs. I saw loads of people getting VI’s and AC’s I thought I rather be happy for others than feel sad over this rejection. I try to like everyone’s post that succeeds in their application as it’s such an achievement to get a test invite or a VI. I then got several AC invites at the end of Jan for applications I made prior to my TI rejection in December. I also used my failed interview as an advantage to succeed in my other interview.

I really do believe in uplifting and helping others! Those on the forum who have messaged to see how my applications are over the past few months are the ones who have recently just got AC’s and VS. Their positive energy is the reason they got their offers and that’s what the firms saw too. They didn’t get it handed to them. (I know you didn’t mean your comment it in a malicious way)

Also Ive seen ppl only apply to MC and US firms…. you need to have variety you can always move laterally. Aim high but be realistic, all my top firms I wanted in the beginning paid under £100k funnily enough.
    shhhhhh let them apply for the MCs and Big Law only! leave the rest for us:cool: i'm all for the advice but dang, if people wanna aim for a moon landing I ain't stopping them!

I agree tho, I realised that If you want to go into Law it's not about forcing yourself into a space where the competition is indescribable. That's a tip a partner from Fieldfisher gave me at the end of the interview. We studied at the same degree at the same uni as well which made it even more funny. He said he realised early on that he was wasting time on these big firms (MC) because spotting him was gonna be like finding a needle in a haystack. It's not impossible, but to only focus on these top firms is bamboozling. Also so many people don't even last after qualifying loool. Honestly, the hunt for MC/US big law is reminding me of the pursuit for Oxbridge at A levels. It makes so much sense as to why people want it but there are so many different opportunities/routes to "success" outside of the "best".

I really like this article from the BBC which I think is great metaphor for why people do this - I just realised there's also a TV show

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.