TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

babylawyer1942

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 30, 2023
    Sidenote, I was getting rejections all cycle and now in the last 2 weeks, I've reached the final stage for 3 three firms and the next stage for 2. Just hang in there everybody, your time is coming. Also, be prepared for this to happen because I'm struggling to keep up with all this AC prep lol. Goodluck!

princess sparkle

Standard Member
    Jan 13, 2024
    I just got this email and I am not sure if this is a rejection or like a disclaimer? I just submitted my application yesterday at 11:45 PM and got this email at 1:30 AM.

"Title: Application Received
    Thank you for applying for a position on our Summer Vacation Scheme. The closing deadline for this vacancy is 29 February 2024.

Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are only able to respond to those who have been successful in gaining an interview. If you have not heard from us then unfortunately your application was unsuccessful on this occasion."

Could anyone help me out with this?

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    If I get a TC and the firm has a specific provider, can I ask to switch? Hearing all the horror stories about BPP is making me consider whether it might even be worth self-funding to avoid it lol.
    I wouldn't 😭. I self-funded my LPC at BPP, completing it in June 2023, and overall, it was a positive experience - the teaching was amazing.

There was just an instance when they neglected to inform us that a professor was absent, and we ended up on campus waiting for the lecture, only to receive a last-minute email explaining that the tutor was ill and wouldn't be attending. Additionally, there were a couple of re-scheduling issues with some classes. But beyond those incidents, I truly had a wonderful time there. I'm not sure if things are different this year, but from my perspective, it wasn't too bad at all.

nliro85

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2024
    That is exactly the mindset you should have and congratulations for obtaining Travers interview!

I am sure you will be successful with Travers!
    Thank you and just did the interview.

For anyone who has a Travers interview in the future or coming up you do not know what to expect so even if you prep don't be surprised if the interviewer asks you questions you were not expecting.

kmo20

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    If I get a TC and the firm has a specific provider, can I ask to switch? Hearing all the horror stories about BPP is making me consider whether it might even be worth self-funding to avoid it lol.
    Personally, I haven’t had that bad of an experience with BPP. I will say they they are unorganised and the admin is not great, but I do think the teaching makes up for it.

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.
    I’ve had about 5 days notice for mine (and it was my first ever AC). It didn’t include a 1-1 interview so I would do something different if yours does.

I did about an hour to 90 minutes a day. Focusing on my approach to the different tasks, and I use the Financial Times to pick an article, summarise it, then expand on key points and link to a commercial issue and how it could link to a law firm and a certain practice area.

I found that helped with group exercise tasks where you have to digest a lot of information quickly for discussion, as well as for written exercises. Also it develops your skills for something like proofreading or a commercial interview because you’re paying attention the details.

I think a little bit often is a good rule of thumb especially with balancing other commitments!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    I wouldn't 😭. I self-funded my LPC at BPP, completing it in June 2023, and overall, it was a positive experience - the teaching was amazing.

There was just an instance when they neglected to inform us that a professor was absent, and we ended up on campus waiting for the lecture, only to receive a last-minute email explaining that the tutor was ill and wouldn't be attending. Additionally, there were a couple of re-scheduling issues with some classes. But beyond those incidents, I truly had a wonderful time there. I'm not sure if things are different this year, but from my perspective, it wasn't too bad at all.
    Amazing, thank you so much!! I can't afford to self-fund right now, so I feel more relieved now lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Unlikely as the firm will have a preferential rate with the supplier and may have a more bespoke course too.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Is it common practice to email grad rec after an interview to say thank you for the interview opportunity.
    I always did it so I personally think it does not hurt to do it!

You will come off as a nice person regardless. I do not think that this will make or break your chances of getting the offer, but it is always nice to appreciate people's time and effort in my opinion.

elektrajenkov

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2023
    On the topic of AC prep, how do you stay (or act) confident for ACs? I get nervous just thinking about it
    I try to think about how the day is about them getting to know you and nobody is a better expert in you, than you! This maybe can't apply to a commercial specific tasks as much, but for everything else, they are trying to get to know you - your soft skills, experience, interests, etc. Trust that you know yourself and remember if you're at an AC, they already like what they've seen so far and it's a chance to show them even more! Also, if you have the opportunity, talk about the things you've done that you loved - that will naturally bring out confidence because of the enthusiasm!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.