TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Yusuf391

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2023
Done NRF VI not long ago. Quite the nightmare that they bundle "why law - why commercial law - why NRF" all into the same question. You have to apportion your time in this question and it might feel you are taking too long to answer it, but DO NOT stop because of time just keep banging the answer out. They do not ask follow up questions.

That's so weird. Isn't 'why law' and 'why commercial law' pretty much the same Q.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
OMG really annoying that a law firm will only offer feedback post AC by written form and not a call. Do a few firms do this or is it only the firm I had an interview with. I thought they do a feedback call post AC rejections.
I haven't heard of this before but I would say that this might not be too bad;
- you have the feedback to hand to refer back to instead of being reliant on scribbling things down during the call
- you can (hopefully) get a pretty clear idea of what they are looking for in the AC/how it is scored. This is likely to be similar for many firms so you should be able to see where you can improve in the future.

I think if the written feedback raises any questions, they might be willing to clarify in a follow-up email as well if you felt comfortable asking. At least you're hopefully getting some useful written points even if not a full feedback call (which isn't always even that helpful depending on the firm).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
OMG really annoying that a law firm will only offer feedback post AC by written form and not a call. Do a few firms do this or is it only the firm I had an interview with. I thought they do a feedback call post AC rejections.
It is very firm specific unfortunately. I heard that some firms send emails whilst others call. I think it really depends but I did hear that the feedbacks are not as exhaustive.

• Love
Reactions: nliro85

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I haven't heard of this before but I would say that this might not be too bad;
- you have the feedback to hand to refer back to instead of being reliant on scribbling things down during the call
- you can (hopefully) get a pretty clear idea of what they are looking for in the AC/how it is scored. This is likely to be similar for many firms so you should be able to see where you can improve in the future.

I think if the written feedback raises any questions, they might be willing to clarify in a follow-up email as well if you felt comfortable asking. At least you're hopefully getting some useful written points even if not a full feedback call (which isn't always even that helpful depending on the firm).
I totally agree with this, thank you @trainee2025 for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: trainee2025

Amehta1

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 4, 2023
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker a couple of us on the forum did an AC with W&C last week and they said they would be in touch by the end of last week or early this week and so far only one person has heard back with an offer and no one else has heard either with an offer or rejection. Is this a bad sign that their response is now out of their quoted period? Some insight on this would be appreciated.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker a couple of us on the forum did an AC with W&C last week and they said they would be in touch by the end of last week or early this week and so far only one person has heard back with an offer and no one else has heard either with an offer or rejection. Is this a bad sign that their response is now out of their quoted period? Some insight on this would be appreciated.
    No it is not a bad sign - it is still "early this week". If you haven't heard anything by late Friday or early Monday, then maybe check in with them.

Reactions: kmo20 and Amehta1

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.