TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

isTeapp

Star Member
Feb 21, 2024
Hi guys, is it worth applying for a direct TC despite having no vac scheme experience/legal experience and being a 2nd year law student? Not sure if I would be wasting my time doing so if I can't even get onto a vac scheme :D

Maybe it would be better to wait until winter vac schemes open. Not sure...
I honestly think it’s worth applying. I know plenty of people who got TC’s in their second year without doing any vacation schemes. The aim is to demonstrate your transferable skills.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Hi guys, is it worth applying for a direct TC despite having no vac scheme experience/legal experience and being a 2nd year law student? Not sure if I would be wasting my time doing so if I can't even get onto a vac scheme :D

Maybe it would be better to wait until winter vac schemes open. Not sure...
I would echo what @isTeapp said but I’d advise checking the requirements for each firm carefully before spending a long time on an application.
For example, some firms say things like ‘we welcome direct applications from those with prior legal experience’ or ‘those who cannot complete a VS due to work or childcare commitments’ and things. Others advertise a direct TC route but basically don’t recruit though it (TCLA has a useful list for this). On the flip side, some firms (US with smaller London offices mainly) don’t even run a VS so the direct TC application in the summer is the route in. All things you can find out before dedicating too much time to it!

Also, summer direct TC windows and the winter VS window are typically regarded as separate application ‘years,’ so I wouldn’t regard that as a deterrent. You can apply for direct TCs without compromising your chances for winter VS I’m sure (in fact it might be good practice).

Last edited:

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    My Application Summary Credits: @Legalstalker
    FYI: a mixture of summer vacation schemes + a few direct TCs.
    • Total applications this cycle ~ 20
    • Rejections post app: ~ 9
    • Rejections post 1st or 2nd stage: ~ 7
    • Awaiting to hear from: ~ 2 (BCLP TC & Hogan Lovells TC)
    • SJT/VI’s still to do: 0
    • AC's this cycle: 2
    • VS offers: Gowling & Fieldfisher
    • Latest rejection: Mishcon De Reya
    • Hardest rejection: Trowers & Hamlins - really liked the firm and grad rec, was gutted when I was rejected.
    • Easiest rejection: Bird & Bird 🤣
    • Ghosted me: N/A
    • Best Grad Recruitment: Gowling, Trowers & Hamlins and Fieldfisher. Shoutout to Mishcon’s grad rec for giving me extra time with my VI.
    • Tedious Application Process: Bird & Bird
    • Converted my 1st AC 🥹(had completed all of my apps for the cycle at this point)
    • Converted my 2nd AC too 🥹 (had completed all of my apps for the cycle at this point)
    • No 3rd AC….yet!
    • Also secured spots at around 16 firm events online and in person, attended around 10, withdrew from 5 (could not be bothered any more) and was placed on the reserves list for 1.

nliro85

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2024
    It is very firm specific unfortunately. I heard that some firms send emails whilst others call. I think it really depends but I did hear that the feedbacks are not as exhaustive.
    Thank you and they said they will provide written feedback so I don't know what to expect. As I know some on the forum have had written feedback post AC and have found them generic so I am hoping it is not generic so that I know where I can improve.

Reactions: axelbeugre

nliro85

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2024
    I haven't heard of this before but I would say that this might not be too bad;
    - you have the feedback to hand to refer back to instead of being reliant on scribbling things down during the call
    - you can (hopefully) get a pretty clear idea of what they are looking for in the AC/how it is scored. This is likely to be similar for many firms so you should be able to see where you can improve in the future.

I think if the written feedback raises any questions, they might be willing to clarify in a follow-up email as well if you felt comfortable asking. At least you're hopefully getting some useful written points even if not a full feedback call (which isn't always even that helpful depending on the firm).
    This is reassuring to hear and yes get your point about it there for future AC's prep. Yes, agree I can raise any queries in emails if I want clarification on an aspect.

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
    Hey all, new to this, but absolutely stressing out after an AC question I had today.

I was asked if I could invite someone famous to a dinner party, who would I choose to invite. I panicked as had no clue, so said Jurgen Klopp (the Liverpool manager). I backed it up by wanting to know how he's inspired huge comebacks/motivates players from setbacks/resilience and would want to know how he came to a difficult decision to walk away from something he loves. I tried to link this to a law firm and said you'd face setbacks as a trainee and hard choices.

The interviewer didn't really react much but worried it's an immature/unsophisticated answer. Feel I've blown it from what is effectively an arbitrary question.

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
    Personally I think it's a great answer and I know they get fed up with the Mandela, Obama, Lord Denning answers. Didn't someone successfully get a TC giving Taylor Swift or taking about the Barbie Movie?
    Thanks :) I really didn't want to go with a cliche answer like the ones you mentioned but still feel mine seems like an answer a 12-year-old would give 🤣 Ah well, it's done now, so can't overthink it!

holz567

Star Member
    Feb 18, 2024
    Hey all, new to this, but absolutely stressing out after an AC question I had today.

I was asked if I could invite someone famous to a dinner party, who would I choose to invite. I panicked as had no clue, so said Jurgen Klopp (the Liverpool manager). I backed it up by wanting to know how he's inspired huge comebacks/motivates players from setbacks/resilience and would want to know how he came to a difficult decision to walk away from something he loves. I tried to link this to a law firm and said you'd face setbacks as a trainee and hard choices.

The interviewer didn't really react much but worried it's an immature/unsophisticated answer. Feel I've blown it from what is effectively an arbitrary question.
    Football isn't my thing so can't advise there but honestly agree that it sounds like a good answer!

You've backed it up and linked it to attributes a firm would look for and like @3000to1shoteverytime said, it's way better than the cliche answers firms will usually hear!

BBsharkk

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 13, 2022
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker a couple of us on the forum did an AC with W&C last week and they said they would be in touch by the end of last week or early this week and so far only one person has heard back with an offer and no one else has heard either with an offer or rejection. Is this a bad sign that their response is now out of their quoted period? Some insight on this would be appreciated.
    I did my AC 5 weeks ago and they have ghosted me since, I would say it's good that at least they tell you when they are going to respond. 😂 But yeah, my understanding is that if the firm takes a long time to get back to you it's likely that you're a "borderline" candidate and they are making tough decisions.

Percypig12

Valued Member
    Oct 19, 2021

I don't think so. There was an article in the FT recently about general leadership lessons that can be learned from Klopp and it sounds like you gave a well-reasoned answer :)

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Freshfields VS offer!!!!! I’m still in denial, I need to look at the email about 15 times a day to make sure it’s not a prank.

I have a question: Has anyone heard of a case with Freshfields or even another firm providing or paying for accommodation? I live in London currently but in student accommodation and I will not have accommodation over the course of the programme.

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Personally I think it's a great answer and I know they get fed up with the Mandela, Obama, Lord Denning answers. Didn't someone successfully get a TC giving Taylor Swift or taking about the Barbie Movie?
    I talked elaborately about TS’s IP fights in my Freshfields interview so 😭

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    What are some ways to make an employee leave? And deal with an employee who is doing harmful stuff to the company?

I can think of going over their contract and see if they can be fired and giving them garden leave. But I think there could be more ways/steps that I could take.
    Would appreciate help or input :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I wouldn’t worry about this. It’s not who you pick it, it’s how you describe them as being interesting people to talk with and you have done this.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.