TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
On the CMS website it says that the insight scheme may fast-track you to an AC for a training contract. I’ve been offered a place on the IS but am nervous that it’ll lead to no TC offer 😩 does anyone have any advice?
Oof don't deep it when it ain't happened yet! Don't get too much dip on your chip.

You've done so well to get here. So I wouldn't stress about that when you aren't close to knowing what you'll even wear on the first day.

Reactions: tcla888 and cgv3005

DieHard

Star Member
Feb 14, 2024
Some advice needed here as really stressing out.

I have an AC on Wednesday and today I was supposed to have an onboarding call with grad recruitment as preparation. However, I work full-time and as I booked it a month ago (and forgot to write it down), I ended up missing it.

I received an email later in the afternoon asking if I still planned on coming to the assessment centre and if I would like to reschedule the call. I was very apologetic and explained it had slipped my mind and rescheduled for Monday.

I now worried that I’ve made a bad impression from the off by looking unprepared, unorganised and disinterested, which really isn’t the case, I’ve just been very busy and it was a 15 minute call I booked over a month ago.

I feel it’s not even worth turning up now as they’ll have a negative opinion of me already and it’s an easy reason to reject. Any thoughts or advice @Jessica Booker?
Missing the phone call isn't going to act in your favour, but neither is choosing to just give up. Might as well ride it out as far as you can, you never know if GR have seen this happen a million times already and are used to it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are deferring vacation schemes a thing? Anyone have any experience with this? I suppose it’s always worth asking, but I presume it’ll be a flat out no! The firm I’m asking to defer me only runs VS’ over summer, so it would be to do it in summer 2025 instead
It’s not impossible - I have seen it happen but it is quite rare and some firms will just tell you to reapply, but there is no harm in asking.

Reactions: s9111

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Some advice needed here as really stressing out.

I have an AC on Wednesday and today I was supposed to have an onboarding call with grad recruitment as preparation. However, I work full-time and as I booked it a month ago (and forgot to write it down), I ended up missing it.

I received an email later in the afternoon asking if I still planned on coming to the assessment centre and if I would like to reschedule the call. I was very apologetic and explained it had slipped my mind and rescheduled for Monday.

I now worried that I’ve made a bad impression from the off by looking unprepared, unorganised and disinterested, which really isn’t the case, I’ve just been very busy and it was a 15 minute call I booked over a month ago.

I feel it’s not even worth turning up now as they’ll have a negative opinion of me already and it’s an easy reason to reject. Any thoughts or advice @Jessica Booker?
I wouldn’t make any of these negative assumptions - the firm probably hasn’t even blinked at it being missed.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.