TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SS21

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
This isn't anything new though and they would have been aware from the terms of their offer. And many do allow resits as long as you have passed by the time the TC date starts. With Law Society Finals and LPC you would get results after the TC started and some people would be there one day and gone the next according to my parents.
Sure - but the SQE is a completely new exam as opposed to the LPC which had a bank of past papers.
Firms were also encouraged by the SRA to show leniency so CC’s decision is very telling. Linklaters, for example, allows resits (as far as I know)

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
I had an interview today and the final question was "do you have anything more you'd like us to consider."

I replied no and had the chance to move onto my own questions. Was this is a mistake? I don't feel I had anything more to add and had covered everything in my interview but am now worried it shows disinterest or a lack of quick thinking.

Is it fine to answer that @Jessica Booker or would it count against me?

D

Deleted member 32324

I had an interview today and the final question was "do you have anything more you'd like us to consider."

I replied no and had the chance to move onto my own questions. Was this is a mistake? I don't feel I had anything more to add and had covered everything in my interview but am now worried it shows disinterest or a lack of quick thinking.

I got asked this for White and Case and got a PFO for their winter scheme :( my feedback literally said I didn't take advantage of showing all my skills and really exposing my personality and that I lacked confidence. I don't think this is a PFO but it would depend on the firm you got the AC for and how they value your input

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

no - this is not necessarily an issue - it is just an opportunity to provide information you feel you haven’t had the opportunity to highlight. But plenty of candidates may not have anything else they want to highlight, and so they wouldn’t need to use this opportunity.

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Genuinely heart goes out to those who will get their TC offered taken away due to failing an exam that is already an absolute mess, pursuing a career in law is mentally draining, practicing a career in law is mentally draining, and for a firm to just completely disregard future trainees over failing an exam that is well known to be extremely tuff is disgusting.

I wonder if any support is given to these student, I can’t imagine what they’ll be going through, and it doesn’t do anything to help the stigma around this career.

Shame on Clifford chance, and shame on those who follow suit.
Quite. You'd also think considering recent events law firms would be more cautious when it came to endangering individuals' mental health but evidently not. Not a good look and honestly not even a good call because they could be missing out on exceptional candidates because they ticked A instead of B a couple of times on a multiple choice test.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
In response to Clifford Chance’s recent decision to withdraw training contract offers from students who failed the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) on their first attempt, I propose creating a publicly accessible list of SQE resit policies by different firms. This information is crucial for aspiring solicitors when choosing where to apply strategically!

Please see this thread if you have any information: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/sqe-resit-policies-by-firm.8655/
After much thought, I don't want to encourage anyone to breach their terms of their offer by sharing information which may or may not be confidential provisions regarding the SQE. So I will delete the thread. However, I believe we should all definitely take these SQE resit policies into consideration when applying to firms, as they could adversely affect our futures. Best of luck!!

Reactions: yueyueer and O

Lola333

Star Member
Aug 27, 2023
I think that it should be no more than 1,5/2 pages and based on the information you are giving. It is important to focus on the relevant facts of the matter, without losing yourself in the irrelevant details.

Make sure your grammar and structure are impeccable as those are things that the assessors will look into. There is a a LinkedIn post that explains how to write on which I will leave here which is really good: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-write-briefing-note-govconnex/
Thank you so much!

Reactions: axelbeugre

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
This isn't anything new though and they would have been aware from the terms of their offer. And many do allow resits as long as you have passed by the time the TC date starts. With Law Society Finals and LPC you would get results after the TC started and some people would be there one day and gone the next according to my parents.
SQE is a brand new exam which has been subject to a lot of chaos and which is universally acknowledged to be much harder than the LPC. The pass rate is much lower so far and those who have failed include people with excellent academic records who have put huge amounts of work in and failed by only a couple of marks in some cases, which is undoubtedly an unfair reflection of their legal/academic abilities.

What I think is quite damaging at the moment is people, largely from past generations, trying to compare this situation to the LPC. This was an exam which was conventionally assessed, had been around for a very long time, and which 90+ % of TC holders did pass (and indeed did better than pass, usually without issue). None of these things apply to the SQE1 cohort which have just received their results. Until the ins and outs of the SQE have really embedded themselves, I think this is a really harsh move by CC, particularly for people who might have held a TC with them since first year and are now left with nothing both employment-wise and financially. The fact that other MC and even US firms are being more lenient with resits as they acknowledge the challenges of the new exam will go to show this in the long run imo.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I did post AC and interview they all replied back.

When I followed up with one partner they were happy to speak to me and answered further questions I had about their experience and the firm culture. I was able to find out info that wasn’t even published and how the firm goes above and beyond for those who work there regardless of seniority.

I thought it was great to connect as I now have good information for a TC interview with the firm….all being well. 😬😅
Amazing <222 will do! Also, thank you so so much for replying to my PM last night, honestly reading it was so so reassuring. I went in without any expectations and kept in mind to just be social and normal (not easy in these situations lmao) and yeah, wanted to say you are so sincere and real and helpful and just a queen <3 thank you so much. I was overthinking it so much because I did not feel ready at all but I kept in mind what you said about just enjoying it and learning from it and it eased a lot of my anxiety.

• 🏆
Reactions: axelbeugre and Legalstalker

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
SQE is a brand new exam which has been subject to a lot of chaos and which is universally acknowledged to be much harder than the LPC. The pass rate is much lower so far and those who have failed include people with excellent academic records who have put huge amounts of work in and failed by only a couple of marks in some cases, which is undoubtedly an unfair reflection of their legal/academic abilities.

What I think is quite damaging at the moment is people, largely from past generations, trying to compare this situation to the LPC. This was an exam which was conventionally assessed, had been around for a very long time, and which 90+ % of TC holders did pass (and indeed did better than pass, usually without issue). None of these things apply to the SQE1 cohort which have just received their results. Until the ins and outs of the SQE have really embedded themselves, I think this is a really harsh move by CC, particularly for people who might have held a TC with them since first year and are now left with nothing both employment-wise and financially. The fact that other MC and even US firms are being more lenient with resits as they acknowledge the challenges of the new exam will go to show this in the long run imo.

Whilst some of what you say is true you are actually not correct about the pass rates for LPC. It averaged at around 57-58% so whilst higher than SQE1 not significantly so.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
After much thought, I don't want to encourage anyone to breach their terms of their offer by sharing information which may or may not be confidential provisions regarding the SQE. So I will delete the thread. However, I believe we should all definitely take these SQE resit policies into consideration when applying to firms, as they could adversely affect our futures. Best of luck!!
Maybe a more general thread on firms that allow resits, don’t allow, assessed on a case by case basis, etc… rather than exact wording?

Reactions: tcla888

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
Hi all,

I’ve followed this thread for a while but have made a profile today as I have a situation I am really struggling with, and I don’t know what to do.

I graduated from university in 2022 and this is my third cycle of applications. In my first cycle, I sent off about 15 applications and ended up getting 1 AC, which I was unsuccessful at. Second cycle, I sent off about 8 applications and got 4 assessments centres, which I was, again, unsuccessful with. This year, I sent off 12 applications and reached 7 assessment centres. I heard back on Friday that I’d been rejected from my final one. This cycle has now completed.

So to summarise, I’ve had 12 AC rejections in 3 years.

Today, I just broke down about it and couldn’t stop crying. I always prepare really well for my ACs but no matter what I do, I get rejected. I ask for feedback but each firm’s feedback seems to contradict another, so it’s really unhelpful.

I just don’t know what to do now. This has been my dream for a long time, but I can’t go through this again and have more rejections because it’s become so detrimental to my mental health.

I currently paralegal at a high street firm and am considering just trying to stay there now and qualify that way if I train. It’s not what I wanted, but I feel maybe I’m just not cut out for City law. I look good on paper and can write well, but no matter how hard I’ve worked, firms just don’t take to me.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
@Pheebs22 I was rejected after 9 ACs before I got my first VS. The truth is, I didn't perform well enough each of those times (despite thinking I did great everytime). There are two conclusions to draw from your situation. a) You have been unlucky: there may be some truth to this, but it is not the reason why you do not have a VS/AC (especially when you have attended 12 ACs). b) You are a poor AC performer: This is the hard truth, and I apologise if that is hurtful to posit. I know you say that you do everything to prepare well, but clearly, you need to change your approach. This is purely a matter about applying yourself (the fact that you have attended so many ACs demonstrates that you have the potential to get a TC).

As many have said before, please do not give up. I am rooting for you!

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Whilst some of what you say is true you are actually not correct about the pass rates for LPC. It averaged at around 57-58% so whilst higher than SQE1 not significantly so.

Although the overall LPC/SQE1 pass rate is potentially comparable, SQE1 has thrown up unprecedented numbers of failures amongst;
a. candidates from traditional course providers (BPP, Ulaw etc.). Proper engagement with the LPC through one of these ‘trusted’ providers was usually enough to ensure a pass, especially amongst extremely able TC holders. In the article you mention, the pass rate from some providers was 100%. The SQE1 averages are vastly lower than that wherever you look.
b. ‘sponsored’ candidates. Even those who hold TCs and are aware of the SQE1 workload are still failing the exam. That is what I think has been shocking and is materialising in far greater numbers than ever did for the LPC.
As I said before I think that with this in mind it’s very harsh that CC (and others?) are taking such a draconian approach.

dw11cfc

• Dec 30, 2023
    Hi, just posting again about a mock AC in London a few of us have organised together.

Jaysen and the TCLA team have kindly offered to host us in their offices, provide resources and give feedback.

If anyone else is interested please PM me or reply to the thread, it would be great to get as many of us as we can.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Does anyone know what grade law firms expect in the PGDL? I recently did my mock assessments and scored between a 55 and 58 in all the four modules. I have to admit that I didn't focus enough, as I really struggled balancing the mock assessments with attending workshops and preparing for ACs. Moreover, the formula to get a distinction is badly explained by the lecturers. Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve a 60+ in problem question exams? Or any tips in general for the PGDL?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.