TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
Hi guys! For those who applied for Lewis Silkin’s training contract this year, have you heard anything on whether you passed to the next stage after the application form? I still have not heard anything yet and I applied on the 1st of February. Thank you!
Hi guys! Still got nothing so far. Has anyone got a status outcome update from Lewis Silkin now? Thank you!

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Pinsent (6 hour AC in person) prepped for a good 3 weeks and I was on holiday, I took my iPad and read Ziplaw everday. On my 7 hour flight back to the UK I purchased WiFi and worked solely on AC prep, my interview and case study were my top strengths in my AC, I got a PFO as I didn’t complete the in tray 😭 felt like a slap in the face.

Simmons (5 hour AC) I did prep the day of the AC as I was burnt out and thought I had secured Pinsent TC the day before 🤣🤣

Goodwin (45 min interview) I had prepped for 2 weeks or so but I also attended a mentoring class on a Saturday at 5am (time zone difference) to get a better insight to the firm. I think if I didn’t go to that I wouldn’t have got an offer.

Farrer (2 hour AC) I did no prep as there was no interview just written exercise and group assessment, having done these things in the other AC’s I felt like I didn’t need to prep.

I think it is dependant on how the firms AC is laid out, I found every single one different but the more I did them the better I got? I work full time and I sacrificed a decent amount of sleep for a few weeks to prep.

Hope this helps :)
Wait, what's an in tray? Also are these ACs for VSs or TCs? The Pinsent story brought me to tears :'( also what's the mentoring class?

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Does anyone know what grade law firms expect in the PGDL? I recently did my mock assessments and scored between a 55 and 58 in all the four modules. I have to admit that I didn't focus enough, as I really struggled balancing the mock assessments with attending workshops and preparing for ACs. Moreover, the formula to get a distinction is badly explained by the lecturers. Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve a 60+ in problem question exams? Or any tips in general for the PGDL?
    If you’re with ULaw, DM as I’m happy to help (currently doing PGDL there on track for a distinction)

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 2, 2021
    Rather than law firms, what would people say are the main issues clients are facing now?

I would say the uncertainty of the economy, but I feel that's quite a generic answer. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Depends on the client. The clients of an Employment law practice are going to have different issues than Aviation clients or Emerging Market clients... hone it down to practice area clients or sector and then go from there!

Reactions: axelbeugre

estimur

Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    It's usually around 25%-33% of candidates at an AC will get an offer. Will obviously vary and can't comment on Mishcon, but those are generally your odds.
    For the spring scheme they had given about a 33% figure (15-ish out of 45 candidates)

However, they also said there isn’t necessarily a fixed number. So if instead of the intended 15 they thought 18 were great they’d offer Vac Schemes to all 18.

tomtrainee02

Mar 20, 2024
    Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm extremely stressed about a VS interview answer I gave today.

The interview was with W&C and at the end, I was asked if there was anything I wanted to add. I didn't want to say no, so I said that I'd had an assessment centre with the firm last year and the feedback I was given on the call, and what I'd taken onboard to improve on that since last time.

Now I'm worried that was a stupid answer to give because it makes it appear as if I'm almost asking for their sympathy (i.e. you rejected me at this stage once, please don't reject me again!).

Am I overthinking things and that was actually an okay answer to give? Any thoughts, @Jessica Booker as I can't get it out of my head...

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm extremely stressed about a VS interview answer I gave today.

The interview was with W&C and at the end, I was asked if there was anything I wanted to add. I didn't want to say no, so I said that I'd had an assessment centre with the firm last year and the feedback I was given on the call, and what I'd taken onboard to improve on that since last time.

Now I'm worried that was a stupid answer to give because it makes it appear as if I'm almost asking for their sympathy (i.e. you rejected me at this stage once, please don't reject me again!).

Am I overthinking things and that was actually an okay answer to give? Any thoughts, @Jessica Booker as I can't get it out of my head...
    I think this is a pretty good answer tbh... It reflects positively on your character that you've taken steps to improve.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.