TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

km_bntn

Oct 31, 2023
Hey, I’m due to have an AC at NRF tomorrow, but I’m concerned as I’ve had no correspondence from them. I’ve emailed them but also know that the are supposed to send something today.

Was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat?

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
DM me if you're also doing the Macfarlanes Spring Scheme!!!!!

Hungry Food GIF by Jack in the Box

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone been encouraged to apply for a direct tc after being rejected for the vacation scheme?
I’ve encouraged plenty of people to reapply - if they have done this, take it as a good sign and consider doing so at the appropriate point. They won’t have said this to everyone.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I’ve encouraged plenty of people to reapply - if they have done this, take it as a good sign and consider doing so at the appropriate point. They won’t have said this to everyone.
Thank you @Jessica Booker.

Can I ask for a follow up question to you @Jessica Booker? I understand that many firms have small gr teams and that often they have to wait for other people to hand over this feedback. However, it had been extremely difficult to deal with ambiguous responses or lack of feedback after an ac. Is it worthy to write that I wanted to be treated with a bit of respect? Sorry, I wish I could go into more details but I can’t and only hope for brighter times. I am skiing you because you are on the other side and I respect you and your opinions.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you @Jessica Booker.

Can I ask for a follow up question to you @Jessica Booker? I understand that many firms have small gr teams and that often they have to wait for other people to hand over this feedback. However, it had been extremely difficult to deal with ambiguous responses or lack of feedback after an ac. Is it worthy to write that I wanted to be treated with a bit of respect? Sorry, I wish I could go into more details but I can’t and only hope for brighter times. I am skiing you because you are on the other side and I respect you and your opinions.
I wouldn’t suggest you are being treated disrespectfully if you do contact them.

Feedback is often vague unfortunately, not just because of the GR team but because of the feedback given to them. It is difficult for them to give you precise feedback when they weren’t in the assessments and haven’t got much details beyond some scores/scoring criteria.

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I wouldn’t suggest you are being treated disrespectfully if you do contact them.

Feedback is often vague unfortunately, not just because of the GR team but because of the feedback given to them. It is difficult for them to give you precise feedback when they weren’t in the assessments and haven’t got much details beyond some scores/scoring criteria.
Thank you @Jessica Booker and apologies for the grammar mistakes in my message but my brain is not working properly.

lookingforaTC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
I am in the same position of final year and possibly no TC. For me, because firms will be mostly recruiting for 2027 start next cycle, I do not see the benefit of self-funding the SQE. If I got a TC next cycle I would still be waiting two years to start it - and in that time I'd do the SQE and get it funded + grant.
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Would you say this is correct? Is there any benefit of self-funding SQE exams (just the exams - not the prep course)?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Would you say this is correct? Is there any benefit of self-funding SQE exams (just the exams - not the prep course)?
Self funding has been something many people have done for many decades and even pre SQE. At the same time many do choose to sit it out and wait for sponsorship - I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here as success (and failure) can be seen in both routes.

It is very much an individual decision on whether to invest in self funding or sitting it out and waiting for sponsorship. I think you have to look at your profile, the firms you are aiming for, if doing the course/assessments is going to add to your profile (for instance they may if you have weaker academics compared to someone who has stellar academics).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.