TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Just wanted to share that on my third cycle, fourth assessment centre, and however many applications, I have finally secured a VS.

I wouldn’t have been able to do it without this community and how supportive everyone is of each other. Know this is only 50% of the battle (and will still have to get clearance from my employer first 😬) but I’m overjoyed I’m in this position.

If you ever feel like giving up, take it from me: you only need one yes.
omg so so happy for you!! well done and celebrate this win!

Reactions: laby201

tealzeal

Star Member
Nov 22, 2021
In Withers' realm, I wait in vain,
Silence reigns, my hopes detain.
Test completed, no word returned,
In limbo, where dreams adjourned.

Withers' silence, a deafening cry,
Echoes of uncertainty amplify.
Yet still, I hope, for a response to be,
In the legal labyrinth, a chance for me.

Withers get back 2 me pls XOXO
honestly🤣 like should i just take it as a pfo at this point?? aside from one person i haven't heard of anyone who applied for the summer vs getting an interview! someone also said that grad rec said they're taking a longer time than usual to reply to candidates though, so idk

n1245678

Apr 14, 2024
Hello everyone!

I'm currently completing a spring vac scheme, which involves completing two assessed taks. I've just finished my first week of the scheme, and, unfortunately, the pressure of time constraints and having to adjust to a new corporate environment really got to me, so I wasn't able to complete the first assessed task to the best of my abilities. Of the three parts to the task, I think I've managed to do the first two went alright, but I really ran out of time on the third section and didn't do a good job at all.

Do you think there's a chance I could make up for it during the second week of the scheme/final interview and still secure a training contract?

Thank you!

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm currently completing a spring vac scheme, which involves completing two assessed taks. I've just finished my first week of the scheme, and, unfortunately, the pressure of time constraints and having to adjust to a new corporate environment really got to me, so I wasn't able to complete the first assessed task to the best of my abilities. Of the three parts to the task, I think I've managed to do the first two went alright, but I really ran out of time on the third section and didn't do a good job at all.

Do you think there's a chance I could make up for it during the second week of the scheme/final interview and still secure a training contract?

Thank you!
No one is gonna be able to give a definitive answer without knowing the firm's assessment processes.

What I will say is:
(1) You've probably done better than you think (they're not expecting perfection); and
(2) Just keep trying your best. There's nothing to be gained from worrying about something that is now in the past.

Good luck with the second week!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it unwise to repeat reasons/examples in a video interview that were used in the initial application?
It’s not a problem to repeat your motivations - firms won’t expect these to change. But answers should be delivered differently - how you write something is not how you would say something in person, and your answers are likely going to need more depth when speaking too.

The occasional competency example is fine to repeat but try to bring as much variety to your candidacy as possible by using a broad range of examples where you can.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone!

Thank you!
Perfection isn’t possible at any time, but particularly on first attempts and when learning.

You may not even need to “make this up”, but continue to strive to do your best in tasks next week to ensure you are in the strongest position. Also try and learn from any experience this time around and make changes to your approach so you can ensure you feel you are able to perform better next time.

Reactions: n1245678

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Perfection isn’t possible at any time, but particularly on first attempts and when learning.

You may not even need to “make this up”, but continue to strive to do your best in tasks next week to ensure you are in the strongest position. Also try and learn from any experience this time around and make changes to your approach so you can ensure you feel you are able to perform better next time.
Hi Jessica,

In such a situation, do you think it's worth bringing up where you struggled with the assessed task in the final TC interview? The idea would be to show learning and self-reflection by discussing how you would approach the task next time

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
@Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica,

If I've been offered a VS, do you have any examples of an email I could draft to my employer (I currently paralegal) in order to ask for time off? I have no intention of leaving anytime soon and want to express that. Would you recommend speaking to them in person beforehand to be upfront/respectful?

Also, when it comes to conflict checks, is that your responsibility to sort or the firm that offered me the VS? If it is mine, what steps ought to be taken?

Thank you!

Reactions: midnightsky990422

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In such a situation, do you think it's worth bringing up where you struggled with the assessed task in the final TC interview? The idea would be to show learning and self-reflection by discussing how you would approach the task next time
I wouldn’t refer to it as “struggling” but you can put a more positive reflection on what you feel you could have improved on if asked in the interview.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.