TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SamiyaJ

Standard Member
Apr 16, 2024
I did my NRF arctic shores assessment on Sunday, deadline was on Monday. Has anyone heard back for a TI? It's my first application so I've no idea how long to wait and couldn't compare the timeline to other threads on here.

ja_mibe

Standard Member
Mar 7, 2024
As someone who has never done an AC before, what should I expect? I know there is going to be an interview, a written exercise based on a hypothetical legal scenario, and a group exercise (a presentation, I think).

For the written exercise, what sort of prep should I be doing? Outside of sharpening my commercial awareness, would it require some technical knowledge of a particular practice area and do I therefore need to understand how multiple different practice areas work going into the AC?? Also, does 'hypothetical legal scenario' more likely mean a case study or could it also be a letter-writing or proof-reading exercise?

And for the group exercise, how do they actually assess you? As in, while your group is putting the presentation together, is there someone sitting in a corner observing you all and taking notes? I am coming into this with very minimal experience and have only done two video interviews and attended one (non-assessed) open day, so if anyone could share their past experience that would be massively helpful. Thank you!

wawawa

Mar 1, 2024
hi everyone! does anyone have any advice as to what to say to grad rec if you want to turn down a vac scheme that you previously accepted? i've been offered one that clashes which i want to prioritise but not sure what to say to the other GR and want to put it right

• 🏆
Reactions: Sharon Wu

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
As someone who has never done an AC before, what should I expect? I know there is going to be an interview, a written exercise based on a hypothetical legal scenario, and a group exercise (a presentation, I think).

For the written exercise, what sort of prep should I be doing? Outside of sharpening my commercial awareness, would it require some technical knowledge of a particular practice area and do I therefore need to understand how multiple different practice areas work going into the AC?? Also, does 'hypothetical legal scenario' more likely mean a case study or could it also be a letter-writing or proof-reading exercise?

And for the group exercise, how do they actually assess you? As in, while your group is putting the presentation together, is there someone sitting in a corner observing you all and taking notes? I am coming into this with very minimal experience and have only done two video interviews and attended one (non-assessed) open day, so if anyone could share their past experience that would be massively helpful. Thank you!
What they normally do is give you a group task which you will then present to the assessors at the end together and maybe ask questions on. Can only speak from experience on group exercises, each firm might have different criteria but most of the time they are looking to see how you work in a team. Can you bring new perspectives and listen to other people, can you interact well with people and positively add to their ideas? Can you adapt your ideas when they are questioned and handle constructive criticism in a good way? Really it's just about being friendly. You don't have to lead anything if you don't want to, being a good listener who can offer insightful feedback will also be appreciated. I'm sure you will smash it.

• 🤝
Reactions: ja_mibe

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Would anyone be keen to share their successful (made it to AC) application to Orrick? The firm is not included in the database so I would really appreciate some insights. Happy to share my own apps to Slaughter, Cleary, White&Case, and Bristows in exchange x

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Would anyone be keen to share their successful (made it to AC) application to Orrick? The firm is not included in the database so I would really appreciate some insights. Happy to share my own apps to Slaughter, Cleary, White&Case, and Bristows in exchange x
    Would also love this. Can swap for applications that were successful for a variety of firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi everyone! does anyone have any advice as to what to say to grad rec if you want to turn down a vac scheme that you previously accepted? i've been offered one that clashes which i want to prioritise but not sure what to say to the other GR and want to put it right
    I wouldn’t overthink it - you just need to state you are withdrawing your acceptance. If you want to explain that is to attend another scheme, you can - the firm is likely to ask anyway.

It really depends if you want to/hope to go forward for a direct TC process with the firm instead. If that is the case, it is best to call the HR team rather than rely on email and discuss what the options are.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.