The Rise of "Red Circle" Chinese Law Firms

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
I picked up on this rather interesting article in the latest edition of the Economist (link below) about the operations of Chinese law firms, specifically "Red Circle" firms, and how they may threaten the UK and US law firm global status quo.

Whilst being an intriguing topic in its own right, I think it is also an area which is particularly relevant to interviews (especially the popular "what are the challenges law firms will face in the future" question).

We have already seen a semi-exodus of UK & US firms from China, such as Vinson & Elkins, Stephenson Harwood, and BCLP, in conjunction with a series of lateral hires from US to Chinese firms – signalling the growing dominance of "Red Circle" firms. Moreover, with China commanding a greater influence in areas such as project finance with the Belt and Road initiative, it may be the case that we start to see Chinese firms offering TC's in London and competing with top firms in the City.

Perhaps some of these notions are a bit far-fetched – but I think it is definitely a story to keep an eye on!

Link: https://www.economist.com/business/2021/03/03/can-chinese-law-firms-take-over-the-world

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: OB, Kubed, Dheepa and 5 others

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.