Third time lucky

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Third Post

So I am updating this thread a little early but I got the Jones Day Spring scheme! This will be my first commercial law vacation scheme so I'm excited to apply what I've learnt in practice on the vac scheme. This has given me such a boost of confidence and I can not thank TCLA enough for everything they've done for me. They reviewed my application and I also had a mock interview with Jaysen which was so helpful in talking through questions that I was unsure about. I am really grateful for all the help and support I've received from everyone in the forums too. I am now going to be focusing on applications for Summer schemes so that I can keep myself disciplined and focused.

I left my previous job but was offered a position where I will have more responsibility and develop my skills further. As for other applications, I was rejected by Linklaters but wasn't too shocked. I have applied to Shearman's and Reed Smith's but annoyingly spotted minor errors in my work experience sections after reviewing them. Moving forward, I am going to review every detail of my applications so that they are error-free. Still, I am feeling more motivated and happier than I have done at any other point in these last three years.

I hope this gives some people hope in the application process, if I could offer any advice, I would say be true to yourself and don't be afraid to talk about the deeper issues in your application or at interview. I think they appreciate the fact that you don't shy away from topics of a sensitive nature. As well, just keep going because it shows that determination does pay off as long as you remember from your mistakes and continually seek to improve :)

Sharaf

This is so great!! Congrats Sharaf!

• 🤝
Reactions: wwood and Shaz

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Third Post

So I am updating this thread a little early but I got the Jones Day Spring scheme! This will be my first commercial law vacation scheme so I'm excited to apply what I've learnt in practice on the vac scheme. This has given me such a boost of confidence and I can not thank TCLA enough for everything they've done for me. They reviewed my application and I also had a mock interview with Jaysen which was so helpful in talking through questions that I was unsure about. I am really grateful for all the help and support I've received from everyone in the forums too. I am now going to be focusing on applications for Summer schemes so that I can keep myself disciplined and focused.

I left my previous job but was offered a position where I will have more responsibility and develop my skills further. As for other applications, I was rejected by Linklaters but wasn't too shocked. I have applied to Shearman's and Reed Smith's but annoyingly spotted minor errors in my work experience sections after reviewing them. Moving forward, I am going to review every detail of my applications so that they are error-free. Still, I am feeling more motivated and happier than I have done at any other point in these last three years.

I hope this gives some people hope in the application process, if I could offer any advice, I would say be true to yourself and don't be afraid to talk about the deeper issues in your application or at interview. I think they appreciate the fact that you don't shy away from topics of a sensitive nature. As well, just keep going because it shows that determination does pay off as long as you remember from your mistakes and continually seek to improve :)

Sharaf
So so well deserved and I’m absolutely chuffed for you. You’re such a great candidate and I really hope you get that TC call soon! Let me know if I can offer any vac advice from my previous experiences! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Shaz

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019
Fourth Post
I realise it's been some time since I last updated this thread. So far, I have made a number of applications with rejections coming from the Magic Circle group so far like Linklaters, Clifford Chance and Allen & Overy. On the other hand, I am still waiting to hear back from a handful of firms and have had VI invites at both Mishcon and WFW which has been a great confidence booster :) A learning curve and something I have surprisingly stuck to is discipline over motivation. This is something Jaysen has said in the TCLA Crash Course event and I think it really helps with churning out consistent applications! I think this is also helpful for those who are feeling low this application cycle because if you can get into the routine of creating good applications, you will eventually find the firm for you.

I am looking forward to post-January where I can focus on making TC applications and can prepare for my VS in the Spring. I think also investing in things like The Economist/FT subscription, application reviews, legal career events and books can significantly increase your chances as I've only now just learnt that meeting firms face-to-face is something recruiters like the look of.

This has been a bit of a rambling post but I thought I would share it nevertheless. To end, I will say that there is an element of luck in making vacation schemes so it is just a matter of persevering and increasing your odds of being successful :)

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019
Fifth Post

So I’ve recently had a few PMs regarding the Cooley AC so congratulations for those who made it through! I thought I’d make a post so that all the information is in one place.
  1. Firstly, you arrive in the Cooley office where you should show yourself to be personable and interact with the other candidates. They are watching you! Smile and seem enthusiastic as I was praised for this in my feedback.
  2. You are led into a room where the outline of the day is presented to you. Maintain your enthusiasm/attention throughout is my only advice.
  3. GROUP EXERCISE – Last year in the group exercise (6-8 people), the main task is advising the board of directors whether they should take-over a smaller tech company (be mindful of Cooley's expertise in tech). You are provided with reading material and will discuss this in your group. Make sure your voice is heard and you feed in ideas that add value. Having a basic understanding of M&A/Private equity and SWOT analysis is key here. Allow others to speak but also don't let others undermine you. Taking the role as time-keeper is actually quite good in this instance.
  4. Throughout discussions, news articles/reports are provided to the team. You essentially have to conduct due diligence on these reports you receive. Be critical of the reports that you receive. E.g. when were they published/by whom etc.
  5. Prior to presenting, you will get a short break with your team.
  6. You will have to present to the board whether the company should buy-out the smaller tech company. Make sure you are confident and remain engaged throughout, even when your team is speaking.
  7. You will then have networking lunch with trainees/partners. Remain engaged but I found this to be the most relaxing part of the day.
I did not make it through the group exercise so I can’t tell you what they will question you on in interviews. But I recall that there were 4(?) separate interviews.

Good luck all and hope this helps?

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

Arash20.

Standard Member
Jan 15, 2020
Thanks so much for this. Could I ask if you are told on the day if you have been successful and whether the subsequent stages are on the day.

Fifth Post

So I’ve recently had a few PMs regarding the Cooley AC so congratulations for those who made it through! I thought I’d make a post so that all the information is in one place.
  1. Firstly, you arrive in the Cooley office where you should show yourself to be personable and interact with the other candidates. They are watching you! Smile and seem enthusiastic as I was praised for this in my feedback.
  2. You are led into a room where the outline of the day is presented to you. Maintain your enthusiasm/attention throughout is my only advice.
  3. GROUP EXERCISE – Last year in the group exercise (6-8 people), the main task is advising the board of directors whether they should take-over a smaller tech company (be mindful of Cooley's expertise in tech). You are provided with reading material and will discuss this in your group. Make sure your voice is heard and you feed in ideas that add value. Having a basic understanding of M&A/Private equity and SWOT analysis is key here. Allow others to speak but also don't let others undermine you. Taking the role as time-keeper is actually quite good in this instance.
  4. Throughout discussions, news articles/reports are provided to the team. You essentially have to conduct due diligence on these reports you receive. Be critical of the reports that you receive. E.g. when were they published/by whom etc.
  5. Prior to presenting, you will get a short break with your team.
  6. You will have to present to the board whether the company should buy-out the smaller tech company. Make sure you are confident and remain engaged throughout, even when your team is speaking.
  7. You will then have networking lunch with trainees/partners. Remain engaged but I found this to be the most relaxing part of the day.
I did not make it through the group exercise so I can’t tell you what they will question you on in interviews. But I recall that there were 4(?) separate interviews.

Good luck all and hope this helps?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.