Tier 2 Work Visa Sponsorships - Which firms? Insight from international students?

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi! I'm currently studying in Scotland on a Tier 4 student visa and I'm looking into applying for training contracts in Scotland (and maybe England). Are there any firms you are aware of that sponsor Tier 2 visas and some that for sure do not (e.g. Shoosmiths).

I have received conflicting information regarding this and wanted to know which firms to contact for those firms that do not explicitly state on their website.

If you are an international student who has secured a training contract with a firm that sponsors, I would love to hear your experience!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Tier 2 visas no longer exist in the UK.

We now have a skilled persons visa that has replaced it (as of January 2021).

You can find a list of organisations who have got the ability to apply for a visa here:

The firm would also have to pay a minimum salary of £34,300 to be able to get a visa for you.

However, this does not guarantee that firms will be willing to apply for a visa on behalf of their trainees. Costs to apply for a visa are roughly £4-7k, and so many firms are unwilling to pay the additional costs for a trainee role.

Last edited:

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Tier 2 visas no longer exist in the UK.

We now have a skilled persons visa that has replaced it (as of January 2021).

You can find a list of organisations who have got the ability to apply for a visa here:

The firm would also have to pay a minimum salary of £34,300 to be able to get a visa for you.

However, this does not guarantee that firms will be willing to apply for a visa on behalf of their trainees. Costs to apply for a visa are roughly £4-7k, and so many firms are unwilling to pay the additional costs for a trainee role.
    Thank you so much for the information! May I fall under these exceptions (https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/when-you-can-be-paid-less) ? I hope it is still feasibly possible for international students to train in the UK.

Edit: I have a international friend that is starting work at PwC training to be an auditor but is paid below the required threshold for auditors so I thought there might be exceptions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much for the information! May I fall under these exceptions (https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/when-you-can-be-paid-less) ? I hope it is still feasibly possible for international students to train in the UK.

Edit: I have a international friend that is starting work at PwC training to be an auditor but is paid below the required threshold for auditors so I thought there might be exceptions?
    Although you might be eligible by age, firms tend to apply these consistently and ultimately will want to be able to apply for a visa for someone over 26 as much as someone 26 or under.

As I understand it, PwC will be different as you are completing a professional qualification while training (usually the ACA). This won’t apply for training contracts as typically your qualifications are done before you join. However, you may be eligible if you are transferring from a student visa. Obviously that is down to very individual circumstances though, so hard to say you would definitely meet the lower salary exemption or not.

Plenty of international students train at UK firms. If anything the visa process has got easier too.

• 🤝
    Reactions: C0o127 and xtinew

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have a follow-up question with regards to Skilled Worker visa sponsorship. I am an international student as well studying on a Tier 4 visa and will be applying for TCs in the coming cycle. With the introduction of the 2 year Graduate visa route, what should international non-EU students answer in the application form when the firms ask "Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?". Would firms need to sponsor us for a Skilled Worker visa permit or would the Training contract fall under working with a Graduate visa. Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have a follow-up question with regards to Skilled Worker visa sponsorship. I am an international student as well studying on a Tier 4 visa and will be applying for TCs in the coming cycle. With the introduction of the 2 year Graduate visa route, what should international non-EU students answer in the application form when the firms ask "Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?". Would firms need to sponsor us for a Skilled Worker visa permit or would the Training contract fall under working with a Graduate visa. Thank you in advance!
    A graduate visa may not cover the entire period of a training contract, especially if you are doing a LPC course/SQE course that is not eligible for the graduate visa. Even if it is, if there is anytime between your course ending and your TC starting, it means it is likely that a graduate visa will not cover the entirety of a training contract, where the visa is only two years but so is the training contract.

If it is a free text box answer to the question explain you will have the right to work until 2 years after you graduate. You obviously don’t actually have that right now, as you have to complete and pass the course to obtain it.

If it isn’t a free text box (just a yes or no answer), I would say no. It will be obvious from your application you could be entitled to the graduate visa if you are at a UK university and studying a relevant course.

Reactions: lawful_neutral216

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    A graduate visa may not cover the entire period of a training contract, especially if you are doing a LPC course/SQE course that is not eligible for the graduate visa. Even if it is, if there is anytime between your course ending and your TC starting, it means it is likely that a graduate visa will not cover the entirety of a training contract, where the visa is only two years but so is the training contract.

If it is a free text box answer to the question explain you will have the right to work until 2 years after you graduate. You obviously don’t actually have that right now, as you have to complete and pass the course to obtain it.

If it isn’t a free text box (just a yes or no answer), I would say no. It will be obvious from your application you could be entitled to the graduate visa if you are at a UK university and studying a relevant course.
    Thank you so much!

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I'm currently studying in Scotland on a Tier 4 student visa and I'm looking into applying for training contracts in Scotland (and maybe England). Are there any firms you are aware of that sponsor Tier 2 visas and some that for sure do not (e.g. Shoosmiths).

I have received conflicting information regarding this and wanted to know which firms to contact for those firms that do not explicitly state on their website.

If you are an international student who has secured a training contract with a firm that sponsors, I would love to hear your experience!
    Hello! I have just secured a Training Contract at a SC firm- I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.

• Love
    Reactions: xtinew

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019

Hi! I was on a Tier 4 Student Visa and just secured the Skilled Worker visa in England with Eversheds. In my experience, almost all firms who have international offices sponsor visas. The only firms I have come across which sometimes don't are national firms. However, I suggest emailing graduate recruitment and asking them before you start an application if the information is unclear on the website. Also my salary as a first year trainee is under £34,300 and I had no issues securing the visa!

Phillyma

Dec 4, 2021
    Hi! I was on a Tier 4 Student Visa and just secured the Skilled Worker visa in England with Eversheds. In my experience, almost all firms who have international offices sponsor visas. The only firms I have come across which sometimes don't are national firms. However, I suggest emailing graduate recruitment and asking them before you start an application if the information is unclear on the website. Also my salary as a first year trainee is under £34,300 and I had no issues securing the visa!
    Hi Asmee, I’m in a similar situation. Was there any issues doing your sqe studies on a skilled worker visa?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.