Toronto-based CLA Members?

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2018
Are any members of this site based in the Greater Toronto area? I'm in need of motivation to keep applying for training contracts, but am feeling a bit isolated from the whole process as I'm currently based so far away.

AzanAshai

TCLA Writer
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 1, 2018
@Salma Thanks for the tag. Sorry for the late reply, I've been slammed with final year deadlines.

@GalaPP

Hello! I am from the GTA (Oakville) originally. I am currently in my final year so I am still in the UK but I can completely relate to feeling isolated from the process (a lot of my VS/TC apps were filled out and sent off during my term breaks spent in Canada).

Below are some of the key things that I have taken advantage of to combat this and stay motivated (in and outside of the UK):

1. TCLA
TCLA does an incredible job with providing international applicants with a forum to stay connected with other aspiring solicitors, stay abreast of international/domestic commercial news, and receive invaluable insight on application processes for different firms. It allowed me to network and chat with like-minded individuals who (irrespective of where they are in the process) all shared the common struggle of securing a TC.

2. LinkedIn
I used LinkedIn to cold-message trainees at different law firms to inquire about the process and build my network, which really helped in learning more about the firms without attending open days and networking with professionals in the sector. I am sure there are individuals who have been in a similar position to you (i.e. have had to apply from abroad). You can use LinkedIn to get in contact with some of these people and pick their brains.

3. Online Law Firm Insights
I registered for a Shearman & Sterling's online vacation scheme application guide in September 2018. For one week, the firm published a series of videos, webinars, and literature on applying to the firm. It definitely made me feel a bit more 'in the loop' about the process which motivated me to make some applications. Online insights were an excellent way for me to reaffirm my reasons for applying and got me all excited about the process in general.

Although I am not in Canada currently, I can definitely relate to how you feel. I've DM'ed you my contact details in case you ever want to chat! I will also definitely look around to see who else has been in a similar position or is in the same position as you. I'll probably be back in Oakville sometime in the next few months as well so we could definitely meet up.

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hi Azan,

Thank you so much for this wonderful post and the suggestions! I agree, TCLA has been immensely helpful with feeling connected to the aspiring lawyers community. Will DM you now.

Gala

@Salma Thanks for the tag. Sorry for the late reply, I've been slammed with final year deadlines.

@GalaPP

Hello! I am from the GTA (Oakville) originally. I am currently in my final year so I am still in the UK but I can completely relate to feeling isolated from the process (a lot of my VS/TC apps were filled out and sent off during my term breaks spent in Canada).

Below are some of the key things that I have taken advantage of to combat this and stay motivated (in and outside of the UK):

1. TCLA
TCLA does an incredible job with providing international applicants with a forum to stay connected with other aspiring solicitors, stay abreast of international/domestic commercial news, and receive invaluable insight on application processes for different firms. It allowed me to network and chat with like-minded individuals who (irrespective of where they are in the process) all shared the common struggle of securing a TC.

2. LinkedIn
I used LinkedIn to cold-message trainees at different law firms to inquire about the process and build my network, which really helped in learning more about the firms without attending open days and networking with professionals in the sector. I am sure there are individuals who have been in a similar position to you (i.e. have had to apply from abroad). You can use LinkedIn to get in contact with some of these people and pick their brains.

I registered for a Shearman & Sterling's online vacation scheme application guide in September 2018. For one week, the firm published a series of videos, webinars, and literature on applying to the firm. It definitely made me feel a bit more 'in the loop' about the process which motivated me to make some applications. Online insights were an excellent way for me to reaffirm my reasons for applying and got me all excited about the process in general.

Although I am not in Canada currently, I can definitely relate to how you feel. I've DM'ed you my contact details in case you ever want to chat! I will also definitely look around to see who else has been in a similar position or is in the same position as you. I'll probably be back in Oakville sometime in the next few months as well so we could definitely meet up.

Thanks so much for this helpful info, really appreciate the

@GalaPP

1. TCLA

2. LinkedIn

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.