Updating a submitted application to show incoming vacation schemes

D

Deleted member 11573

Hello,

This is my first time applying for vacation schemes and training contracts, so I do not have any vacation scheme experience. I recently heard back from a top 20 firm that I have gained a vacation scheme place with them this summer. I have been putting this as an incoming vacation scheme on my new applications. Should I also update my submitted applications to other firms? For context, I am at the assessment centre stage with a few more firms.

I would really appreciate any guidance on this! I'm not sure if it shows I am a competitive candidate or just makes me look silly.

Many thanks!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    It's down to you - personally, things are so competitive this year with VS/TC applications that I think you should take whatever gives you a competitive edge and milk it!!!! It doesn't make you look silly at all; in most cases, it will show you're a good enough candidate to secure a VS with such a great firm, and in your first cycle as well without experience. I would absolutely put it down if I was in your situation but it's a personal choice and clearly it's not disadvantaged you, considering you're at the AC stage with more firms now!

From my personal experiences - I actually had a VS offer last year, which was cancelled so I had no experience, but that certainly didn't stop me from mentioning it in all my applications and interviews. Certain firms will respond differently to this for sure, but in my case (especially with the larger ones) I've found that it can make them see me as a more competitive candidate and therefore perhaps more desirable for some reason. Anyway, once you're past the application stage, the firm is looking for other things than what you've got on your CV, which you're clearly excelling at! No worries about looking silly. In my first cycle I absolutely felt silly sometimes looking back on what I wrote - since writing an application is essentially boasting about yourself as much as you can - but I assure you GR absolutely doesn't see it that way and neither will anyone else working at the firm.

Best of luck with your VS, and with all your upcoming ACs!!!

D

Deleted member 11573

It's down to you - personally, things are so competitive this year with VS/TC applications that I think you should take whatever gives you a competitive edge and milk it!!!! It doesn't make you look silly at all; in most cases, it will show you're a good enough candidate to secure a VS with such a great firm, and in your first cycle as well without experience. I would absolutely put it down if I was in your situation but it's a personal choice and clearly it's not disadvantaged you, considering you're at the AC stage with more firms now!

From my personal experiences - I actually had a VS offer last year, which was cancelled so I had no experience, but that certainly didn't stop me from mentioning it in all my applications and interviews. Certain firms will respond differently to this for sure, but in my case (especially with the larger ones) I've found that it can make them see me as a more competitive candidate and therefore perhaps more desirable for some reason. Anyway, once you're past the application stage, the firm is looking for other things than what you've got on your CV, which you're clearly excelling at! No worries about looking silly. In my first cycle I absolutely felt silly sometimes looking back on what I wrote - since writing an application is essentially boasting about yourself as much as you can - but I assure you GR absolutely doesn't see it that way and neither will anyone else working at the firm.

Best of luck with your VS, and with all your upcoming ACs!!!
    Thank you very much for your reply. I was also thinking it might show I am a competitive candidate. Thank you for the positivity as well I feel quite uplifted!

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.