Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The ex-CEO of autonomy was just charged with fraud in the US: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46397367. Interestingly, Mike Lynch is a longstanding client of Slaughter and May.

I talked about this HP-Autonomy story in some of our M&A classes. HP bought Autonomy in 2011 for $11.7bn. A year later, HP had to write down $8.84bn, claiming it was due to "accounting improprieties and disclosure failures" by Autonomy. Autonomy said HP had just undertaken poor due diligence.

Goes to show an example of the risks involved in tech M&A and the importance of due diligence in an M&A deal.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    The ex-CEO of autonomy was just charged with fraud in the US: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46397367. Interestingly, Mike Lynch is a longstanding client of Slaughter and May.

I talked about this HP-Autonomy story in some of our M&A classes. HP bought Autonomy in 2011 for $11.7bn. A year later, HP had to write down $8.84bn, claiming it was due to "accounting improprieties and disclosure failures" by Autonomy. Autonomy said HP had just undertaken poor due diligence.

Goes to show an example of the risks involved in tech M&A and the importance of due diligence in an M&A deal.

Just to follow up on the Lynch story - https://www.law.com/legal-week/2018...rutiny-after-autonomy-founders-fraud-charges/

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ah I couldn't figure out how to add a photo into the text box directly! I've just shared the direct URL instead, haha

Great article!! This was exactly what I was thinking when I mentioned Slaughters.

I get the feeling Slaughter's senior partner is quite close to Mike Lynch:

upload_2018-12-3_16-9-49.png

Reactions: Abstruser

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: Helena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.