Vac Scheme or TC

Gray

Nov 18, 2020
Hi there,

I am a graduate who has worked in a professional industry for a couple of years. I have completed the GDL, and have recently submitted vac scheme applications for the firms I'm interested in that recruit either exclusively or predominantly from their vac scheme candidates. I have completed several vacation schemes both before employment and as recent as winter last year.

May I ask for some advice on whether I should be applying to direct TC applications now provided the relevant application windows are open? Is it often the case with direct TC applications that the early bird catches the worm, or should I await the outcome of the vac schemes I have applied to before pursuing direct TC applications?

I've been a spectator on these forums for a while and I genuinely appreciate the advice people have here. Thank you.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Gray,

Personally, I would apply for direct TCs anyway, even while you're still waiting. You have more than enough work experience (i.e. your previous vac schemes) that shows your commitment to the career and that's not even including the wealth of relevant experience your current role has provided you with.

I think most firms tend to only start looking at direct TC applications once they have recruited for the vacation schemes and there are quite a few firms (US firms in particular) that tend to only look at direct TC apps if they have been turned down by a vacation scheme student but again I don't think this should stop you from applying now if you'd like to.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Gray

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.