Vacation Scheme Prep

nmurphy44

Standard Member
Jan 26, 2023
I have a VS coming up and was wondering what to expect in terms of the work?

I was also wondering are vac scheme students expected to bring their own laptops to work on or is work typically carried out on computers at the office? Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to bring aside from notebooks/stationery? I understand I may need to ask the firm this specific question but am just looking for a general answer.

Thank you so much :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a VS coming up and was wondering what to expect in terms of the work? I'm guessing typical trainee tasks so drafting and researching, but does anyone have any examples of specific documents they had to draft/topics they researched or presented on, and any tips on how to complete the work well?

I was also wondering are vac scheme students expected to bring their own laptops to work on or is work typically carried out on computers at the office? Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to bring aside from notebooks/stationery? I understand I may need to ask the firm this specific question but am just looking for a general answer.

Your firm will have their own templates to utilise - once you are in the firm you will be able to access guidance from your supervisors and buddies about how best to tackle any work you have been given.

You are likely to be given a laptop given the confidentiality issues and so you don’t hold data/sensitive documents on a device the firm has little to no control over (also important from a cyber security perspective).

laurabeaumont

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I have a VS coming up and was wondering what to expect in terms of the work? I'm guessing typical trainee tasks so drafting and researching, but does anyone have any examples of specific documents they had to draft/topics they researched or presented on, and any tips on how to complete the work well?

It all depends on what the lawyers in the practice area you have been placed in are doing now. You have hit the nail on the head that it is typically drafting and research - perhaps on a recent case that is of interest to the department which you may have to present to the rest of the team or an issue they need to circumvent so you may be dissecting a specific statute. It's hard to provide exact examples as the work could be anything your supervisor decides.

My advice to prepare for the unexpected nature of work would be to polish up your research skills on Westlaw and LexisNexis if you can (if you are at university they should be available via library services) - which you may already be up to speed with if you are a law student!

Alternatively, if you have a browse read of some cases on https://www.bailii.org/form/search_cases.html (free) or statutes on https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/statutes/ (free) e.g. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, that should help alleviate some anxieties in relation to work!

In terms of stationary, just a paper and pencil/pan - keeping a note of each step of your process in relation to completing the work will really help even if you end up with an incorrect answer at the end of the task. You may have 90% of the steps correct and they can help guide you in the right direction!

Hope that helps!

Laura :)

Reactions: Erin and Jaysen

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021

Just to tack on to the great advice that @laurabeaumont provided, the sort of work you will be doing also depends on how busy your department is and what sort of work your supervisor is willing to let you do. But just to give you an example of the sort of work you might be doing (pulling from my own VS experience), you could be:
    • Proofreading documents (incl. a contract);
    • Preparing/delivering a presentation to your supervisor(s) (who will probably also invite others to come along);
    • Drafting up emails for someone else (I did this once);
    • Writing a research brief on something legal (eg, upcoming legislation) or commercial (eg, on green hydrogen); or
    • Helping draft one of the firm's new articles (eg, this, though fear not, you probably will just be drafting a specific portion, not the whole thing)
    Definitely knowing how to use Westlaw and LexisNexis is useful, but you should also know how to research stuff and find credible sources outside of those portals (eg, Google) – this is particularly relevant if you're doing non-legal tasks (like draft a research brief on how solar panels work).

Aside from keeping good notes of your process, which Laura suggested, also keep track of the work you've been assigned. In particular, you'd want to know right off the bat when you get a piece of work: what is the work; who assigned it; who its for; the context of the work (this is key for understanding the relevance of what you're doing – IMO, it also makes the work more interesting); how frequently you need to keep your assigner updated on your progress; when its due; what format and where you need to submit it in. I made a handy Excel spreadsheet for this. Keeping track of your process and the work you've done will most likely be handy for your final interview if you have one (eg, you might be asked how you deal with boring tasks). You might also be given access to the firm's intranet – if so, have a poke around if you've got spare time (and there's no work they can give you) and see more up close what the firm's all about.

At the end of the day, it's important to be proactive (ask for work if you have capacity) and be approachable (ask to meet people, and prepare some questions to ask but let the conversation flow naturally). As an example, during my VS, I asked a lawyer who previously worked in the firm's China office about his work there (contrasting to London) and we ended up talking in full Chinese about our favourite dishes and reminiscing about life in China. Not saying necessarily that every conversation you have must come to this point (most of my conversations didn't get to this point), but just don't overthink it and treat whomever you're speaking to as just another human being you're trying to learn more about – in any case, they're most likely very happy that you've expressed an interest in their work. Also try and figure stuff out on your own before turning for help, be the best version of yourself, and genuinely try and have fun while you're there.

Final tip: Message people who did the VS at the firm last cycle on LinkedIn and ask them what sort of work they did, and if they got a TC from it, ask them what tips they've got.

Best of luck on your VS!

laurabeaumont

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Just to tack on to the great advice that @laurabeaumont provided, the sort of work you will be doing also depends on how busy your department is and what sort of work your supervisor is willing to let you do. But just to give you an example of the sort of work you might be doing (pulling from my own VS experience), you could be:
    • Proofreading documents (incl. a contract);
    • Preparing/delivering a presentation to your supervisor(s) (who will probably also invite others to come along);
    • Drafting up emails for someone else (I did this once);
    • Writing a research brief on something legal (eg, upcoming legislation) or commercial (eg, on green hydrogen); or
    • Helping draft one of the firm's new articles (eg, this, though fear not, you probably will just be drafting a specific portion, not the whole thing)
    Definitely knowing how to use Westlaw and LexisNexis is useful, but you should also know how to research stuff and find credible sources outside of those portals (eg, Google) – this is particularly relevant if you're doing non-legal tasks (like draft a research brief on how solar panels work).

Aside from keeping good notes of your process, which Laura suggested, also keep track of the work you've been assigned. In particular, you'd want to know right off the bat when you get a piece of work: what is the work; who assigned it; who its for; the context of the work (this is key for understanding the relevance of what you're doing – IMO, it also makes the work more interesting); how frequently you need to keep your assigner updated on your progress; when its due; what format and where you need to submit it in. I made a handy Excel spreadsheet for this. Keeping track of your process and the work you've done will most likely be handy for your final interview if you have one (eg, you might be asked how you deal with boring tasks). You might also be given access to the firm's intranet – if so, have a poke around if you've got spare time (and there's no work they can give you) and see more up close what the firm's all about.

At the end of the day, it's important to be proactive (ask for work if you have capacity) and be approachable (ask to meet people, and prepare some questions to ask but let the conversation flow naturally). As an example, during my VS, I asked a lawyer who previously worked in the firm's China office about his work there (contrasting to London) and we ended up talking in full Chinese about our favourite dishes and reminiscing about life in China. Not saying necessarily that every conversation you have must come to this point (most of my conversations didn't get to this point), but just don't overthink it and treat whomever you're speaking to as just another human being you're trying to learn more about – in any case, they're most likely very happy that you've expressed an interest in their work. Also try and figure stuff out on your own before turning for help, be the best version of yourself, and genuinely try and have fun while you're there.

Final tip: Message people who did the VS at the firm last cycle on LinkedIn and ask them what sort of work they did, and if they got a TC from it, ask them what tips they've got.

Best of luck on your VS!
    This is truly excellent advice - thank you for this contribution @RANDOTRON !

Reactions: RANDOTRON

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.