International Students right to work during the Winter/Spring vacation scheme

sarahhhh

Standard Member
Jan 24, 2024
Hi guys, I am an international students who hold a tier-4 visa: winter/spring scheme usually overlap with my university term dates: and my tier-4 visa only allows me to work 20 hours maximum a week. I would like to ask how did past people try to resolve this problem and legally work on a winter/spring vacation scheme? Or International students can only do summer vacation scheme. Please help me out with this, thank you for your time to read this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have only heard it happening a few times by either:

1) the students gets a letter of exemption from the university - however most universities seem to avoid this now for fear of being audited on this and risking losing their international sponsorship visa licence (this happened to London Met some time ago now

2) the scheme is shortened to 2.5 days a week to make sure it is under then 20 hour mark. But many firms won’t do this as the scheme is tough to run on such a short timescale.

3) the candidate is moved to a summer scheme or direct TC recruitment process instead.

Most instances I have heard about, unfortunately the candidate has not been able to proceed with their offer where they haven’t got the right to work during the scheme.

sarahhhh

Standard Member
Jan 24, 2024
I have only heard it happening a few times by either:

1) the students gets a letter of exemption from the university - however most universities seem to avoid this now for fear of being audited on this and risking losing their international sponsorship visa licence (this happened to London Met some time ago now

2) the scheme is shortened to 2.5 days a week to make sure it is under then 20 hour mark. But many firms won’t do this as the scheme is tough to run on such a short timescale.

3) the candidate is moved to a summer scheme or direct TC recruitment process instead.

Most instances I have heard about, unfortunately the candidate has not been able to proceed with their offer where they haven’t got the right to work during the scheme.
Thank you! Your reply is so insightful, I do heard about past students argued with uni with the option (1), I will try to ask more solutions with people in year2&3, and make sure the right scheme I can apply in the upcoming application circle.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.