Applying for Vacation Schemes After Graduation

Unknown Stranger

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 14, 2021
Hi, I am an international student and I completed my master's degree in the UK last summer (I am still in the UK holding a Graduate Visa and doing SQE). My questions are basically threefold:

Firstly, do most law firms allow people who have already graduated to apply for vacation schemes? I believe it should be the case, but I was a bit confused by the term "graduates" in the eligibility requirements on the websites. Does it mean "graduate students" or "those who already left the uni for good"?

Secondly, do law firms generally prefer offering current students VS places? Will graduates be at a bit of a disadvantage?

Thirdly, if I were to succeed in the VS and be offered a training contract, will law firms usually sponsor a visa for me to remain in the UK until the TC commences? Will international students holding a Graduate Visa be at a bit of a disadvantage in the eyes of the firms?

I hope the questions make sense. Thanks a lot!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) graduates will mean anyone who has completed their undergraduate degree, whether that be those who have gone onto postgraduate level education or into the world of work.

2) no

3) no - they haven’t got the ability to sponsor you until the training contract starts. But international students won’t be at a disadvantage as such, as long as the firm can sponsor a skilled person’s visa.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.