Applying for a vacation scheme or training contract

emilyding

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hello,

I am an international student who recently completed my LPC in July. Currently, I'm in the process of applying for a graduate visa, and I expect to receive the results next month.

I have a question regarding whether it's advisable for me to apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract. The typical TC start date is two years away in 2026, which coincides with the end of my graduate visa.

From my research, it appears that vacation schemes in any case are really for people who are still doing their legal studies; they are not usually aimed at people who have already passed the LPC.

I have limited legal work experience and haven't participated in any vacation schemes previously. I am considering applying to Slaughter and May; however, I can only choose between a vacation scheme or a direct TC application due to the rolling basis.

Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action in my situation?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I am an international student who recently completed my LPC in July. Currently, I'm in the process of applying for a graduate visa, and I expect to receive the results next month.

I have a question regarding whether it's advisable for me to apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract. The typical TC start date is two years away in 2026, which coincides with the end of my graduate visa.

From my research, it appears that vacation schemes in any case are really for people who are still doing their legal studies; they are not usually aimed at people who have already passed the LPC.

I have limited legal work experience and haven't participated in any vacation schemes previously. I am considering applying to Slaughter and May; however, I can only choose between a vacation scheme or a direct TC application due to the rolling basis.

Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action in my situation?

Thank you.
You can do vacation schemes as someone who has done the LPC. If you have little/no legal work experience, my general advice is to go for the vacation schemes to build up that experience.

emilyding

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2023
You can do vacation schemes as someone who has done the LPC. If you have little/no legal work experience, my general advice is to go for the vacation schemes to build up that experience.
Thank you Jessica! I think I will go to the vacation schemes. Also, may I ask is there a bigger chance that the firm will offer the TC for those who have done VS at their firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica! I think I will go to the vacation schemes. Also, may I ask is there a bigger chance that the firm will offer the TC for those who have done VS at their firm?
It isn’t as binary as you having a better chance or not, but vacation schemes really give you a lot more time to show your abilities and motivations than a short interview/assessment centre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.