Vacation Schemes

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hello!! I'm law student from India. How to get vacation schemes?
    Hi there! Are you studying law in India or in the United Kingdom? I'm not super sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for how you can make your application stand out or are you asking the technical process to getting a vacation scheme? I assume the latter for now, but happy to discuss the former as well.

How each firm selects its candidates (i.e., selection process) will differ from the next, but generally there's 4 stages to getting a vacation scheme.

First stage is you'll have to complete and submit an application for a place on a firm's vacation scheme (if they offer it) in the law firm's application portal by the stated deadline. You can typically find the portal by visiting the law firm's website, and then navigating to graduate careers. Alternatively, you can see the dates for all the firms with a direct link to apply here: https://www.legalcheek.com/key-deadlines-calendar/. Applications tend to require you to write a cover letter explaining why you chose a career in law, why you chose to apply to that particular firm and why the firm should chose you over other candidates. A number of firms review applications on a rolling basis, meaning that they review applications as they come, so they may have filled up candidates for the next stage even before the deadline. As a rule of thumb, I recommend applying early if you can so you don't miss out. If you do not write a good application, you do not progress to the next stage.

Second stage is the psychometric and/or situational judgement testing phase. You may be given the test automatically once you've submitted your application because the firm will review your application alongside your score, or you will be invited to take the test after your application has been reviewed. If the firm uses the second format (i.e., you may be given the test after your application has been reviewed), then it means you wrote a good application. Psychometric tests– with Watson Glaser being most commonly used– test your reasoning while situational judgement tests test how you would behave in a particular environment to see your suitability to the firm. You can find practice tests online and try them out for yourself.

Third stage is to be invited to have an interview with a partner and/or graduate recruitment. Some firms have more than one interview. Some firms do in-person interview (i.e., in their office or virtual). Some firms do phone call interview. Some firms do video interview (i.e., you are given the question and you must record yourself doing it). TCLA premium has some great resources to help you practice.

Fourth stage is the assessment centre which is a day where you typically visit the firm and do certain tasks that they set out for you. This is to evaluate your performance, team-working abilities, etc. Not all assessment centres are the same. Some firms may simply email you an individual task and ask you to prepare a research brief or presentation on it, which you'll deliver to a partner virtually. Generally, you'll be notified on whether you've been successful in securing a place on the firm's vacation scheme after the assessment centre.

Hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.