Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your interview at Weil Gotshal & Manges?

February 2017

What for?

Summer Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Weil Gotshal & Manges.

Weil actually interviewed me at my university which was slightly surreal but made me feel more relaxed than going into London- I believe they do this at a few universities. The assessment consisted of a written exercise followed by an interview with two partners (the training partners). The written exercise was a little tight for time and involved the drafting of an email and I think some legal analysis also.

The interview was challenging and unlike most other interviews I have had because of its focus on legal issues. The majority of the interview was based on a discussion of Private Equity, what it is, how it works, and what lawyers do throughout the process. I enjoyed this as it was more like critical thinking and didn't feel superficial like 'competency' interviews can. Other than that they asked me about my experiences on other vac schemes and why I wanted to work for Weil. The interview concluded with me asking them some questions and them asking what I like to do in my free time.

What advice would you give to future applicants about the Weil Gotshal & Manges interview?

For an interview at Weil I would strongly advise getting clued up about Private Equity- it is the firm's big focus and my having some knowledge of it was absolutely key to my success in the interview. Otherwise I would advise not getting too stressed if they ask you something you don't know the answer to- they asked me questions about areas of Private Equity I couldn't be expected to know, and I think they were just testing how I reacted. Also beyond that, be clear about how the London office fits into the firm globally and how their focuses are different and why you want to work for Weil over any other firm- particularly if it isnt for their private equity department.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zoo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.