Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do firms ask this question?
Because they want to see that you have considered the opportunity thoroughly and understand it’s not always going to be easy/perfect/rainbows and sunshine. The role require resilience and a “Teflon” attitude where you don’t let things get to you, so working out what isn’t going to be easy or enjoyable for you is important as part of the process of working whether this is the right job for you.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Completely agree with @Jessica Booker. In my view, this question is asked generally with the intention of knowing whether you fully understand the demands of the role. For example, if you say that working in teams or on complex issues worries you, without providing any strong reasons or ways that you may adopt to deal with this as a trainee, then it may concern your interviewers about whether you're suitable for this role as this time.

Reactions: jo123 and George Maxwell

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    This is actually a great way for you to sus out whether the firm is for you. Be honest - I said I was worried I would not be commercially aware enough but my interviewer actually reassured me and gave me advice. See what you can learn - and how to prepare in advance for your TC!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I would add to all of the great advice above that knowing where you may struggle is the first step to knowing what you need to work on. Following up your answer of what you think you will find difficult is very important to show how you plan to overcome the difficulty!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.