What do you wear to work everyday?

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hey everyone! Forgive me if this is a silly question. I (Male) was just wondering what do one wear to work everyday as a trainee, for both WFH and physical office working (would there be a difference in dress style)?

Also, how many suits should I buy in preparation for life as a trainee and does the suit have to be black in colour?

I'm also tagging for reach and for advice on this matter :)

Thanks all!

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! Forgive me if this is a silly question. I (Male) was just wondering what do one wear to work everyday as a trainee, for both WFH and physical office working (would there be a difference in dress style)?

Also, how many suits should I buy in preparation for life as a trainee and does the suit have to be black in colour?

I'm also tagging for reach and for advice on this matter :)

Thanks all!

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden

This will be very firm dependent - some will be much more formal than others. I would try to connect with trainees/recent NQs and see what advice they can give you about dress code policies/expectations as what will be acceptable at one firm might be very different at the next.

Suits don't have to be black - in fact, some of the firms who are more snobby about these things would say black shouldn't be worn, but that shades of grey/blue are most appropriate.

I am sure the male community might be better placed to advise on the practicalities - although this thread might be a useful starting point too: Dress to impress: men's clothing for vacation schemes and law firm events | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

Reactions: Jaysen

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Just to jump on this, as Jessica said it really depends on your firm. I prepared a few smart outfits ready for my TC and now that I am here I am often the most formally dressed! Unless we are in court or meeting with clients, even the partners tend to wear hoodies etc. It is very much about what you are comfortable with if not client facing. Personally I prefer to be smarter as it helps me be in the right frame of mind when working from home.
    I would get in touch with the current trainees to get input on the dress code

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.