Which firms recruit predominantly from VS and which ones from TC?

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
According to chambers they have 50 vac scheme places and around 85 training contracts. Using a rough measure that means 40-50% of spaces are for TC applicants (if this information is correct of course!).
Ah, sorry, I stand corrected on that point!

CC no longer have a vac scheme though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You should probably make a note that Clifford Chance no longer have a vac scheme.

Fairly sure A&O is another one that predominantly recruits from VS, a bit like Links & other MC firms

I think this is the issue with saying “predominately” - I would expect most firms to offer over 50% of their TCs to people who did schemes. The reality is most MC firms will have more direct TC spots available than other firms have in total for vac scheme converters and for direct TCs.

It’s why I recommend the rough calculation as you have to take into account the number of places available both for TCs but also schemes.

1 in 4 out of 100 places is a very different figure to 1 in 4 out of 4 places.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly, Zoo and Adam Gilchrist

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I think this is the issue with saying “predominately” - I would expect most firms to offer over 50% of their TCs to people who did schemes. The reality is most MC firms will have more direct TC spots available than other firms have in total for vac scheme converters and for direct TCs.

It’s why I recommend the rough calculation as you have to take into account the number of places available both for TCs but also schemes.

1 in 4 out of 100 places is a very different figure to 1 in 4 out of 4 places.
    I understand that there is a bit of an issue with this, as it is quite a grey area, but what I meant by predominantly was a significant percentage of their TC spots

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    From the above link for those who can’t see it because of the paywall.

These are from 2013-15 but worth a read anyway. The figures for each column are percentage of trainees who did vac schemes with the firms in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Final column is an average across those years.

The thing I think why this is useful is it explains which percentage of their trainees did vac schemes with the firms. At least it is factual, even if it is a bit out of date.

Attachments

• 9732C7B1-BCA1-4BB5-A127-9AC6595007AB.jpeg
      9732C7B1-BCA1-4BB5-A127-9AC6595007AB.jpeg
      674.2 KB · Views: 180
    • 54B1C2F7-7F63-4777-9216-6BAF34908A84.jpeg
      54B1C2F7-7F63-4777-9216-6BAF34908A84.jpeg
      686.4 KB · Views: 151
    • D09B17BA-33AB-48F9-B767-ED753E661AA4.jpeg
      D09B17BA-33AB-48F9-B767-ED753E661AA4.jpeg
      645.1 KB · Views: 147

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
    Hi guys,

Such a helpful thread.

Just thought I’d add DWF and Irwin Mitchell who both filled exclusively from the vac scheme this year (so glad I made those applications lol).

Also I recently spoke to Eversheds recruitment who said they only recruited one trainee through direct tc route this year. This was for Birmingham but presumably the mentality goes across the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This year could be an anomaly so I would always advise speaking to firms about this during the next cycle.

Things are super weird this year thanks to a combination of COVID, recession and the SQE coming in. We are unlikely to see that combination ever again.

Flk10

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2020
    Hi guys,

Such a helpful thread.

Just thought I’d add DWF and Irwin Mitchell who both filled exclusively from the vac scheme this year (so glad I made those applications lol).

Also I recently spoke to Eversheds recruitment who said they only recruited one trainee through direct tc route this year. This was for Birmingham but presumably the mentality goes across the firm.
    I strongly suspect DWF have reduced their trainee intake as they seem to be in a bit of turmoil at the moment, so I wouldn’t necessarily assume that this year is representative.

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
    Regarding firms that don't have a vac scheme and recruit solely from TC's (like Howard Kennedy): do firms do this bc they want graduates instead of students? I feel like recruitment expect you to have done more (re work experience, extra curricular, etc.) when applying for TC's over vac schemes, and as a third year student wanting to apply to Howard Kennedy I don't know if my efforts will bear any fruit. Sorry for not being directly related to the original post!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Regarding firms that don't have a vac scheme and recruit solely from TC's (like Howard Kennedy): do firms do this bc they want graduates instead of students? I feel like recruitment expect you to have done more (re work experience, extra curricular, etc.) when applying for TC's over vac schemes, and as a third year student wanting to apply to Howard Kennedy I don't know if my efforts will bear any fruit. Sorry for not being directly related to the original post!!

Some of the firms not at the top of the rankings struggle with vacation schemes. They will get people on them easily but then converting those people on to training contracts can be difficult - sometimes candidates are just using firms to build their CVs rather than truly having a long term ambition to work for the firm. For those firms, they can often choose not to run vacation schemes as they are costly and time consuming. Other firms just don't have the resource to run vacation schemes effectively even if they are getting the right candidates in. Considering they are only taking 8 trainees a year, it could easily be the case their Grad Rec/Grad Development team is very small (possibly not even the equivalent of 1 full-time person) and therefore running a vacation scheme is something that no one has time for.

Either of these reasons could easily be the case for a firm like Howard Kennedy rather than them feeling like you need more experience. If they wanted to limit applications to a certain group, they would recruit later (e.g. recruit now for 2021 intakes) or say you can only apply as a finalist/graduate. Having had a look at their website, that might be the case though - seems their deadline for 2022 intakes is May 2021, so only finalists, graduates or those on the GDL could apply.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
    Some of the firms not at the top of the rankings struggle with vacation schemes. They will get people on them easily but then converting those people on to training contracts can be difficult - sometimes candidates are just using firms to build their CVs rather than truly having a long term ambition to work for the firm. For those firms, they can often choose not to run vacation schemes as they are costly and time consuming. Other firms just don't have the resource to run vacation schemes effectively even if they are getting the right candidates in. Considering they are only taking 8 trainees a year, it could easily be the case their Grad Rec/Grad Development team is very small (possibly not even the equivalent of 1 full-time person) and therefore running a vacation scheme is something that no one has time for.

Either of these reasons could easily be the case for a firm like Howard Kennedy rather than them feeling like you need more experience. If they wanted to limit applications to a certain group, they would recruit later (e.g. recruit now for 2021 intakes) or say you can only apply as a finalist/graduate. Having had a look at their website, that might be the case though - seems their deadline for 2022 intakes is May 2021, so only finalists, graduates or those on the GDL could apply.

Thank you for this insight Jess! Sometimes I forget that vacation schemes are something that could actually be a financial strain on firms. I think with that in mind, I'll try my best to not be discouraged and apply regardless :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this insight Jess! Sometimes I forget that vacation schemes are something that could actually be a financial strain on firms. I think with that in mind, I'll try my best to not be discouraged and apply regardless :D

It's often the time investment that is the real decider rather than money. I really wouldn't worry about this - the fact they sponsor the LPC says they are open to finalists like you applying. If they really wanted people with more experience, I suspect they could easily just pick out those who had completed the LPC.

Reactions: lbb

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.