Why not Investment Banker or a Business Consultant?

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
This is how I also thought why being a lawyer differs from everything - Because we are using the law - black letter law - interpreting it in different manners to ensure businesses meet their objectives

Good to see that I was on the same lines.

But this sounds too easy.

Sofia

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I have been doing some reading and I think I'm starting to understand both roles in an M&A deal:
  • Bankers handle the financial modelling/number crunching side of things and the valuation. They also advise on strategic opportunities for their client (along with consultants)
  • Lawyers can also advise on strategic aspects of the deal but this is through the lens of providing legal advice e.g. how can they structure a deal in the best way for their client. In this way, lawyers can add a lot of value to their clients
  • Trainee solicitors are usually involved in legal due diligence e..g evaluating the legal risks of a deal whereas bankers might be involved in financial due diligence - although that's usually where accountants/consultants do.
  • Lawyers draft the documents for the acquisition to make sure it is legal - this is crucial for the execution of the deal
I think lawyers are often seen as being secondary to a deal, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Lawyers can use the law to give clients a competitive advantage and are crucial to executing a deal/minimising the risks. I think that's the kind of thing we can talk about what we're interested in.

I posted this before, not sure if it helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.