Joshua08

Jul 8, 2023
Hi all, I just graduated from a RG University with a low 2.1 overall in history and politics. I worked as an estate agent during the second half of my second year and the first half of my third year. Since this February, I have been working at a top 35 firm as an admin in the commercial real estate team. My role mainly involves file openings/payment transfers/conflict checks, but I have also had quite a bit of client contact, such as hand-delivering documents to the client/calling them/assisting with completion work, such as calling the other side solicitors to date documents. Recently I've been entrusted with the client reports for our team - which involves creating a monthly report of our matters and making sure that all the details are correct before sending it to the client.

I begin my PGDL (Master) at BPP on a part-time basis so that I can work full-time at the firm. I have also done loads of virtual work experience on Forage.

I have a strong interest in two firms - Addleshaw Goddard and Pinsent Masons, so i'll be applying for the 2026 TC for both.

Just a bit of background, I got pretty average GCSEs (4s-6s), and I got A*ACC in my A-levels with a B in my EPQ; however I'm worried that my low 2.1 isn't good enough. Would my experience in real estate help me stand out as an applicant?

Thanks!

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
Hi @Joshua08

I don't think a low 2:1 will hold you back, for most firms that is good enough (examples of firms that want at least a high 2:1 are Cleary and S&C). In terms of your RE experience, it will help you stand out depending on how you sell it... ig it will all come down to your interview and writing skills.

Best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.