TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
CLIFFORD CHANCE 2024 TC OFFER!!!!!!!!
There have been a flurry of TC offers from CC to TCLA members of late, that I may have missed this one.

It is such great news for everyone, but in case I did miss this, just a quick post to say congratulations and here is the obligatory GIF I send for TC offers 🤣

Congratulations Congrats GIF by Goldfish

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
unrelated question, are background checks required for these vac schemes? Just completed mine for an FS job and my god they take a lot of time and effort. Seemingly had to reference everyone I'd ever done any work for!
Can often be needed for vacation schemes too unfortunately!

Reactions: Rob93

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Anyone else get this from DLA PFO - 'We therefore encourage you to submit an application for our 2023 Summer Internship Programme, but to do so much earlier than on this occasion'.
No, all I had was "We are very grateful that you took the time to apply to our programme and appreciate that applying for roles and programmes can be very time consuming. The way in which we are working and studying continues to be challenging and with this in mind, we will be running additional events throughout 2022 and encourage you to attend. Further information regarding the events will be available on our website (https://www.dlapipergraduates.com) in the coming weeks and months."

i haven't heard anything but my friend was offered a summer vac scheme for the london office. however i saw some linklaters ambassadors saying that they were still reviewing applications ! also, considering they take 50 trainees and quite a lot of them come from vac schemes, they probably are organizing more
Was your friend a participant on Pathfinder? I’ve seen quite a few people gain places on the summer VS from previous schemes offered by Linklaters. Perhaps I’m just coping with being ghosted haha

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Just wanted to share for all my long-suffering grads and soon-to-be grads out there that I've just bagged my first private practice paralegal gig at the premier department of an American firm, following a lengthy stint of hard graft in-house. I'm over the moon.

Separately, for grad opps, has been my best cycle to date - on hold after one VI and still hopeful on two apps - and the future looks ever brighter, even if this cycle is a wash.

I'll be 29 this year and still cracking on, because I realised while working other jobs in my early-mid 20s this is what I want to do.

It's an absolute slog at times, and I don't want to diminish that. But the practice of law is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay true to yourself and know what you want and why you want it, and you'll get there.

Wagmi.
I love seeing posts like this - especially as a fellow grad also about to turn a number also in the late twenties! I went to uni a little later as 18-22 year old me had no idea what they wanted to do with their life beyond make rent and survive.

Nemo11

Dec 15, 2021
Hi!

Good question. I think it depends on the firm’s overall business strategy. Some firms prefer to adopt a “best friends network” whereby they will liaise with local lawyers within the US to serve a client’s needs. One argument for doing this is that they are essentially teaming up with the best law firm within that jurisdiction and therefore it is likely the client will get the best advice possible. Opening up another office in a particular state could be good if there’s a strong case for serving a client need. But there’s also the notion of the existing competition between the other local firms. A firm’s overseas office may not necessarily be the best firm in that state to advise a client. These are just my insights on this so don’t take it as gospel.. I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for taking the to respond and sharing some incredible insights, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Nicole15
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.