Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker is it a fair enough reason to reschedule an AC due to it being my sister’s graduation?
Yes, any other commitment that has a fixed date you can’t move and is something you want to attend, it is ok trash for a different date. Be mindful though that the firm might not be able to offer another date though.

Reactions: futuretraineecity

aspiring_solicitor

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
Hey @Jessica Booker. I saw posts discussing the possibility of deferring a vac scheme offer and would love some advice around this.

I got an offer last year through a first year scheme for a full-time summer internship at Barclays' compliance department, commencing end of June 2022. Because of the exam schedule at my university winter and spring vac schemes also weren't an option. This means that of the firms I really like, there is only one whose vac scheme I can actually attend.

There are two more firms I was planning on applying to this year, but the dates clash with my internship. Is it worth applying and then asking for a deferral in the event of an offer, or is it best to focus on the one application and submit the rest next year?
Hi @Andri2000 I hope you are doing fine. Would it be okay if I PM you, -actually I am applying to Barclays’s discovery programme and I am not sure about how to proceed with it. Can you please help me out with that.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi! I was just wondering - at what point is it usually reasonable to ask a firm for an update on their expected response time post-AC? For context, I did mine just over two weeks ago for a spring VS. They couldn't specify when I'd hear back other than that it'd be as soon as possible, and that I was only the second person they'd interviewed thus far. I think they're interviewing as far as 3rd february, but I'm not sure if that's for the spring or summer scheme.

Is it worth asking for an update/expected response time yet? Or is it better to hang in there until next week? I'm pretty keen on this particular firm and would prioritise them if I were to receive an offer, but I don't want to prejudice my application by asking for an update.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! I was just wondering - at what point is it usually reasonable to ask a firm for an update on their expected response time post-AC? For context, I did mine just over two weeks ago for a spring VS. They couldn't specify when I'd hear back other than that it'd be as soon as possible, and that I was only the second person they'd interviewed thus far. I think they're interviewing as far as 3rd february, but I'm not sure if that's for the spring or summer scheme.

Is it worth asking for an update/expected response time yet? Or is it better to hang in there until next week? I'm pretty keen on this particular firm and would prioritise them if I were to receive an offer, but I don't want to prejudice my application by asking for an update.
Your application won't be at any risk by asking for an update (as long as you are polite). I would potentially wait until Friday or first thing Monday and just ask if they can give you any timeframes as to when you will hear back.

Reactions: M777

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

Hogan Lovells has two application windows for TC applications - one with a deadline at the end of this month and another opening this June (summer TC recruitment season). The latter is for law students only but the former is for all students. Why have they done this and does it make a difference which one a candidate applies to (assuming they are a law student and so have the option to apply to either window)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

Hogan Lovells has two application windows for TC applications - one with a deadline at the end of this month and another opening this June (summer TC recruitment season). The latter is for law students only but the former is for all students. Why have they done this and does it make a difference which one a candidate applies to (assuming they are a law student and so have the option to apply to either window)?
The latter is if you want to apply once you have summer degree results. The earlier application is if you wont need subsequent academic grades/won’t have any subsequent academic grades that year, or if you need to start a law course (eg PGDL/SQE prep) in the late summer and wouldn’t have time to do that if you applied for the summer cohort.

If you have a choice, then it doesn’t matter which one you apply to really.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
The latter is if you want to apply once you have summer degree results. The earlier application is if you wont need subsequent academic grades/won’t have any subsequent academic grades that year, or if you need to start a law course (eg PGDL/SQE prep) in the late summer and wouldn’t have time to do that if you applied for the summer cohort.

If you have a choice, then it doesn’t matter which one you apply to really.
Thank you for clarifying, @Jessica Booker. Good to hear that there is no difference because I am looking to apply in the summer.

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi Jessica, in the job requirements it says 'strong command of English and (Second language)". How proficient would you say that this means? Would this be fluent in reading/writing/speaking, or as long as you can communicate and understand most ideas it's alright?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, in the job requirements it says 'strong command of English and (Second language)". How proficient would you say that this means? Would this be fluent in reading/writing/speaking, or as long as you can communicate and understand most ideas it's alright?
I’d say near fluency is needed in two languages - both written and verbal communication. I would consider whether you could read documents or follow what was said in meetings in both languages with ease as a good benchmark as to what they are looking for.

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
I've seen a lot on what questions to ask partners after an interview, but what would some good questions be for initial interviews with Recruitment Managers? Also would finding out the pay range/pay type (eg. is it hourly, is there overtime) be bad to ask in the first stage interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've seen a lot on what questions to ask partners after an interview, but what would some good questions be for initial interviews with Recruitment Managers? Also would finding out the pay range/pay type (eg. is it hourly, is there overtime) be bad to ask in the first stage interview?
If for a trainee role, salaries are set and are pretty public, so no need to bring this up.

If this is for paralegal roles or something similar, wait to have these conversations when you are given the offer.

If you are keen to find out what the salary is, then ask this before you apply (and don’t give your name when you do).

Reactions: lawnoob

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

I completed my written exercise and video interview for the Dechert Spring Scheme back in the first week of January, and I haven't heard anything from them since.

Do you think I should email them for a follow up, given that its been a month now? The next stage is the the AC so I'm not sure if I should be emailing the GR team 🙁

I'd really appreciate your thoughts! 🙏

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I completed my written exercise and video interview for the Dechert Spring Scheme back in the first week of January, and I haven't heard anything from them since.

Do you think I should email them for a follow up, given that its been a month now? The next stage is the the AC so I'm not sure if I should be emailing the GR team 🙁

I'd really appreciate your thoughts! 🙏
Yes, given it is 4-5 weeks it’s appropriate to follow up. I would call them rather than email.

Reactions: djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Yes, given it is 4-5 weeks it’s appropriate to follow up. I would call them rather than email.
Thanks Jessica

Just to clarify both the written exercise & video interview were done via automated virtual platforms - so I haven't really had any face-to-face or over-the-phone interactions with the GR team.

Would it still be suitable to call them (vs emailing) in this case?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica

Just to clarify both the written exercise & video interview were done via automated virtual platforms - so I haven't really had any face-to-face or over-the-phone interactions with the GR team.

Would it still be suitable to call them (vs emailing) in this case?
Yes, it’s still appropriate to call rather than email given how long it’s been. A call is quicker/more efficient for everyone too

Reactions: djqb

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, I did a final round Spring VS interview with a firm 3 weeks ago today. They did not give an indication as to the turnaround time when I did the interview. They emailed me last week asking whether I've progressed/received any VS offers from the other firms I'm interviewing at (having asked me this a few times throughout the process), and that they're still interviewing candidates so I'd receive an outcome in the coming weeks.

The dates for the VS are looming (starts late march) and I'd need plenty of notice to book time off work and sort cheap accommodation. Given the length of time that has passed since the interview, would it be reasonable for me to call/email in 1-2 weeks if I don't hear anything? Or would I be better off waiting until much later in February?

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Hey @Jessica Booker

Just out of interest, how are AC scored? I’ve been told that they shouldn’t be viewed as competitive as assessors are just looking to see if you meet a benchmark… or is it in fact that it is a competitive activity and you are judged against other people?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I did a final round Spring VS interview with a firm 3 weeks ago today. They did not give an indication as to the turnaround time when I did the interview. They emailed me last week asking whether I've progressed/received any VS offers from the other firms I'm interviewing at (having asked me this a few times throughout the process), and that they're still interviewing candidates so I'd receive an outcome in the coming weeks.

The dates for the VS are looming (starts late march) and I'd need plenty of notice to book time off work and sort cheap accommodation. Given the length of time that has passed since the interview, would it be reasonable for me to call/email in 1-2 weeks if I don't hear anything? Or would I be better off waiting until much later in February?
    Yes, I’d explain your circumstances about work and needing to arrange accommodation and ask them whether a decision could be made this week, and if not when you would expect to hear back at the very latest

Reactions: M777

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.