TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Just got a post AC rejection… I feel sooo gutted and I love the firm :( I found the interview extremely hard as it was strengths based and very ridged. I have another AC next week and feel like this has really knocked my confidence
Hi @manchester12,

I am going to write a post along the lines of what I wrote to @lawful_neutral216 yesterday not out of laziness but because my heart goes out to anyone suffering from a post-AC or VS rejection and I spent a long time drafting this with the same exact scenario in mind from my own experiences. To make a long story short, you should not let your confidence get knocked at all - post-AC rejections from a dream firm are a rite of passage en route to almost every candidate's Training Contract offer. I know that in your AC next week you will be an absolutely exceptional candidate! My earlier post was as follows (and I sincerely intend it to relate here as well):

I want to start by saying how sorry I am to hear that you have found yourself in this position. Rejection is incredibly painful, especially in the later stages of a firm's application process.

I was rejected from three vacation schemes in the space of three months and every single one was brutal. Spending an entire application cycle building up to those schemes, with confidence that I would be able to convert at least one of them, meant that I just felt completely hopeless when I realised that I had failed to do so. The latter two post-vac scheme rejections came on the same day no less!! I moped around for about 24 hours before I sat down and started looking at upcoming direct TC deadlines.

The day after I received both of those two rejections, I sent off an app that ended up in a TC offer less than a month later. The day after that I sent off another app that ended up in another TC offer! This was all in July right at the end of my first cycle. The learning process of getting ACs and vac schemes and subsequently being rejected from them was invaluable in ultimately getting me to a firm that I love. I also got a genuinely interesting and varied perspective of the kind of work that City lawyers do, so I have no regrets about any of these experiences.

Take time to reflect and then realise that you have a huge amount of time remaining this cycle. I submitted a lot of direct Training Contract applications and that is how I received the offer for the firm I am going to. Of course it would be great to have a VS or TC offer at this stage, but I sincerely think that the more work one puts into researching and applying to firms now pays dividends in the long run. You do not necessarily want to default into the first firm that offered you an AC - it is great to have the opportunity to learn from that experience what areas of law you are interested in and which firms you should be looking at going forward.

It is an incredible feat that you got to two ACs in the first place, so congratulations!!! Do not worry about whether or not you prepared enough - I am sure you did everything you intended to with the right approach and intentions, but no-one is fully prepared for a law firm AC until they have done several previously. The real preparation required to ultimately obtain a Training Contract involves the lessons you learn from your unsuccessful ACs and how you take that insight into your future ACs. You will continue to develop confidence in your interview ability and you will find yourself in a pretty good position if you draw upon your resilience and keep moving forward :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Your new profile picture....

orson welles applause GIF

• Love
Reactions: GXA123 and Adrian_S

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi James, your answer is actually spot on with somebody else I was speaking with about this. Thanks so much for clarifying! This will definitely help me make a more targeted approach to specific firm's going forward. It's interesting because I understand the whole 'moulding' concept, i.e if you recruit those younger, you can train them up in a specific way, however in some ways, surely this goes against the whole ethos of having diversity of approach/opinion/working styles within firms. Just a thought of mine, but eh we move!
Hi @syw I am really glad that my post resonates with you :) Truthfully, I had a very similar experience in my own application process! Now in some ways I was also perhaps a strange candidate, although I would certainly not claim to be any more 'unique' than any other candidate on here! I applied to law firms whilst pursuing a master's degree in piano performance and having pursued my undergraduate degree in liberal arts in the United States. I had next to no work experience under my belt, let alone legal work experience and I did not fit into the familiar 2nd-year law/final year non-law categories.

I got to the final interview stage at six different firms and only one of those was a UK firm - that was the only one where I was unsuccessful. Now it could certainly be the case that US firms valued my US education, but I also got a sense that they liked the fact I had explored other things. I think that UK firms do an excellent job of hiring diverse candidates (in many ways more than US firms), but I would say that this diversity manifests itself slightly differently.

Each firm has their own approach and you start to realise that as you traverse the process :)

Reactions: Hele25, S87 and syw

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    In the two case study presentations I’ve done the assessor has always commented on the fact that mine was shorter than they generally expected. It always puts me off when they say this but it’s always followed up by “no it’s fine, it’s how you answer the questions that matters” and “you covered enough ground anyway”. But it always makes me think, why tell me then?!

Reactions: ellwilsen

YMontgomeryWilliams

Premium Member
  • Aug 25, 2021
    Hi team,

I've got an assessment centre coming up for Mills & Reeve, and I wondered if anyone has advice? They have recently redesigned it to include a 'hackathon' using design thinking, a group presentation, and a written exercise.

I would appreciate any help.

This is my first assessment centre, and Mills & Reeve is my number one firm pick.

Thank you!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I want to thank everyone on the forum for the support they have provided over this cycle, especially @James Carrabino and @AvniD for the AC tips they gave me last week. Also, to the many people who have replied my DMs and quoted my posts with the most encouraging words, I really appreciate it. I heard back from Weil today and was offered a VS. I also heard back from Baker McKenzie last week with a Spring VS offer. This time last week, I was crying because I had been rejected from a final round interview (non-VS related) so things can always turnaround. That's the end of the application cycle for me! I applied to 6 firms, received 4 rejections and 2 ACs.

I'd appreciate if anyone can link me to any forums related to converting a VS to a TC. If anyone has an upcoming AC with Bakers for Summer VS or an AC with Weil, feel free to message me and I will do my best to help!
    Congratulations @summer207; what a wonderful achievement!!!

You seem like such a sincere and genuine person and it is so sweet of you to thank us when of course it was all down to you :)

I would like to thank all the members of the community for the support everyone is giving each other!! Also (shhh don't tell @Jaysen) @AvniD @George Maxwell and I take inspiration from all of your posts in the ones we write ourselves - we cannot claim that it is all original material!

The wonderful thing about TCLA is that candidates help one another get through an absolutely brutal process. It is what got me hooked on this forum over a year ago and what has inspired me to stay involved ever since :)

@summer207 you should be exceptionally proud of what you have achieved and I do hope that you stay on here in advance of your two vac schemes! I know that the community will continue to provide support and we already have some great resources on how to prepare for the schemes.

For now, though, take the time to celebrate!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.