TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Could anyone who has done an in-person VS please shed light on what the days entail? I've done a virtual scheme, which was largely practice area talks, talks on diversity/tech/legal research etc. Is this likely to still be the case in person, or would we be more involved with work?
I think it really differs by firm - on one of the virtual vac schemes I did there were almost no talks and most of my day was spent at home completing work on behalf of an associate! I have hear that some firms like to keep their in-person vac schemes based more on assessments and talks, and less on real work although on the whole I do think that it is more likely you will be doing real work on an in-person VS!

• ℹ️
Reactions: LEL

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Tbf Jaysen’s email nearly had me teary-eyed.

But the question I need an answer to is:
which one of these two worlds do wine mums fall into????
Well for San valentine I'm planning a lovely Italian Aperitivo (I'am Italian) and I just received a premium Prosecco.

I do not drink much, I prefer to enjoy good food and alcohol. So, if you want a good and expensive red wine I shall suggest Bolgheri 2020.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I think the point is that there are a lot of people who don't neatly fit either category, that differentials of advantage straddle an infinite gradient. I myself have been blessed with certain aubstantial privileges but also confronted with a number of unusual hardships. It's bizarre having a foot in both worlds but somehow in neither, and that experience is rarely, if ever, spoken to. Ultimately most people probably sit somewhere between the extremes of privation and privilege.

That said I quite liked Jaysen's commentary and yours, and it's not really feasible to address every possible circumstance and it's tidy when making a point to gesture towards broad categories. I'd certainly agree that making the point that all disadvantage should be accounted for is as good an argument as any that *any* disadvantage should be accounted for with a view to leveling the playing field.
This is a very eloquent way of putting it! Although I grew up in a very low income household, and left home very young due to family instability I also grew up in a home discussing current affairs and politics, not over the dinner table because we didn't have space for one and we very rarely ate a meal together as a family, but none the less we discussed the general state of the world. Perhaps not the implications of the stock market etc but certainly what was going on politically and the implications of that. Now entering a professional world was never a given, even going to university was unusual as studying certainly wasn't a priority growing up - I didn't even successfully complete A levels at 16-18. The lack of safety net fear is one I really resonate with and I'm sure many others on this forum do too! I saw the point of the email as a way to recognise that peoples journeys are different, and that people have different struggles and that that needs to be recognised rather than splitting people into two neat categories.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Well for San valentine I'm planning a lovely Italian Aperitivo (I'am Italian) and I just received a premium Prosecco.

I do not drink much, I prefer to enjoy good food and alcohol. So, if you want a good and expensive red wine I shall suggest Bolgheri 2020.
You're either gonna love the answer or you're gonna hate it

ME, inhabiting both worlds:

4C47B528-FF63-4193-B7D6-C6CF8F8EB06D.jpeg

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi @James Carrabino Thank you so much for your response, I truly appreciate it. I took the evening off yesterday just to give some time to myself to self-reflect and relax. Definitely feeling a lot more positive today and will try to focus on the remaining cycle, and start thinking about direct TCs.

Yes, being a final year international student worries me for visa purposes, since I have limited options to stay in the country and continue to apply but I have bookmarked some of @AvniD's posts on the topic and also refer to the International Students guide that has been put together by TCLA.
I am really glad to be able to help @lawful_neutral216! Do continue to reach out with any queries, concerns or apprehensions about the process that you may have - I can tell that you have the drive and determination to get there :) I am confident that we will all be hearing about your good news soon and know that we are with you every step of the way!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Do firms typically offer TCs after spring scheme or do they wait until the summer scheme is also over and then do a holistic assessment of candidates in both schemes to decide who gets TCs?
Could be either option really.

Different firms have different approaches. It is something to ask the firm while you are there.

Reactions: thelovelygiraffe

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi all, I am a law grad / current paralegal and I am trying to get together a list of firms that look at candidates with paralegal experience/past careers favourably, and really value this experience. I know a lot of firm's tend to make it out they all feel this way, however I know this is simply not the same across all firms. If you have paralegal experience, are there any firms where you have got to interview/ AC stage, and felt that they valued this experience?
Hi @syw, I do not have any particular knowledge about this issue and I would love for anyone who knows more than me to jump in and correct me! My (perhaps naive) assumption, however, would be that paralegal experience cannot be a negative, can it?

Perhaps the bigger question is which firms are more amenable to recruiting graduates who have been out of university for some time? In my anecdotal experience, UK firms with large trainee cohorts tend to prioritise the standard intake groups (i.e. 2nd-year law/final year non-law) whereas US firms and firms with special areas of expertise often take candidates who have some other experience. At BPP on the PGDL course, I am in a class with students who are almost all going to US firms and at 24 years old I think I am under the average age in the class. My friends in a class with future trainees of London's 'City Consortium' firms say that almost everyone is 21!

So judging on this alone, I would say that the major UK firms may prefer 2nd-year law or final-year non-law students but as far as post-uni experience goes, I can't see why being a paralegal could possibly be a bad thing. Firms often espouse their desire for candidates to have legal work experience so I think that your experience should put you in good stead for most of the firms you are applying to :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: syw and Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.