TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
@Jessica Booker Do firms typically offer TCs after spring scheme or do they wait until the summer scheme is also over and then do a holistic assessment of candidates in both schemes to decide who gets TCs?
Following what @Jessica Booker said, it could be either (and I did vac schemes at firms which both did it the opposite way)! My sense, however, is that the former approach is more common - hope that helps :)

Reactions: thelovelygiraffe

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Think I just messed up an interview, I was asked what I’m interested in that’s not academic/law related … and I said skin care. 😐 *I did say I like reading the scientific elements of everything and how it all works together but oh my goodness could I have picked a more vapid answer fmllll
This is a cool answer! Hey we all have different interests and you can justify anything very well if it genuinely excites you :) In my opinion, this is far preferable to a standard boring answer like 'reading the news' or something!

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi @syw, I do not have any particular knowledge about this issue and I would love for anyone who knows more than me to jump in and correct me! My (perhaps naive) assumption, however, would be that paralegal experience cannot be a negative, can it?

Perhaps the bigger question is which firms are more amenable to recruiting graduates who have been out of university for some time? In my anecdotal experience, UK firms with large trainee cohorts tend to prioritise the standard intake groups (i.e. 2nd-year law/final year non-law) whereas US firms and firms with special areas of expertise often take candidates who have some other experience. At BPP on the PGDL course, I am in a class with students who are almost all going to US firms and at 24 years old I think I am under the average age in the class. My friends in a class with future trainees of London's 'City Consortium' firms say that almost everyone is 21!

So judging on this alone, I would say that the major UK firms may prefer 2nd-year law or final-year non-law students but as far as post-uni experience goes, I can't see why being a paralegal could possibly be a bad thing. Firms often espouse their desire for candidates to have legal work experience so I think that your experience should put you in good stead for most of the firms you are applying to :)
    Hi James, your answer is actually spot on with somebody else I was speaking with about this. Thanks so much for clarifying! This will definitely help me make a more targeted approach to specific firm's going forward. It's interesting because I understand the whole 'moulding' concept, i.e if you recruit those younger, you can train them up in a specific way, however in some ways, surely this goes against the whole ethos of having diversity of approach/opinion/working styles within firms. Just a thought of mine, but eh we move!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Mayer Brown PFO....

I don't think I saw anyone who submitted near deadline got to the next stage with MB and DLA. So how early should we apply when the firm is rolling?
    It varies a lot - if you're like 2 weeks before deadline you're ahead of a majority of candidates. A rule of thumb I've seen is to try to apply within the first 2/3 of the application window.

In a perfect world I would submit every application 6 weeks in advance of close, but that's essentially arbitrary and often not practicable if you are in work or study.

Different firms also approach rolling with different degrees of austerity - Slaughters will genuinely fill out its offers before the deadline, while others will only start progressing candidates a few weeks before close and will continue for several weeks after. Unfortunately there isn't a consolidated bit of guidance on this point and I think it would be very hard to make one, but it can probably be sussed out by trawling through old posts or asking about past experiences.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    It varies a lot - if you're like 2 weeks before deadline you're ahead of a majority of candidates. A rule of thumb I've seen is to try to apply within the first 2/3 of the application window.

In a perfect world I would submit every application 6 weeks in advance of close, but that's essentially arbitrary and often not practicable if you are in work or study.

Different firms also approach rolling with different degrees of austerity - Slaughters will genuinely fill out its offers before the deadline, while others will only start progressing candidates a few weeks before close and will continue for several weeks after. Unfortunately there isn't a consolidated bit of guidance on this point and I think it would be very hard to make one, but it can probably be sussed out by trawling through old posts or asking about past experiences.
    Fwiw I applied to MB in early December because their app was low-stakes and all it meant was that I got my PFO very quickly. Have seen people who applied much later get progressed.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    I want to thank everyone on the forum for the support they have provided over this cycle, especially @James Carrabino and @AvniD for the AC tips they gave me last week. Also, to the many people who have replied my DMs and quoted my posts with the most encouraging words, I really appreciate it. I heard back from Weil today and was offered a VS. I also heard back from Baker McKenzie last week with a Spring VS offer. This time last week, I was crying because I had been rejected from a final round interview (non-VS related) so things can always turnaround. That's the end of the application cycle for me! I applied to 6 firms, received 4 rejections and 2 ACs.

I'd appreciate if anyone can link me to any forums related to converting a VS to a TC. If anyone has an upcoming AC with Bakers for Summer VS or an AC with Weil, feel free to message me and I will do my best to help!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I want to thank everyone on the forum for the support they have provided over this cycle, especially @James Carrabino and @AvniD for the AC tips they gave me last week. Also, to the many people who have replied my DMs and quoted my posts with the most encouraging words, I really appreciate it. I heard back from Weil today and was offered a VS. I also heard back from Baker McKenzie last week with a Spring VS offer. This time last week, I was crying because I had been rejected from a final round interview (non-VS related) so things can always turnaround. That's the end of the application cycle for me! I applied to 6 firms, received 4 rejections and 2 ACs.

I'd appreciate if anyone can link me to any forums related to converting a VS to a TC. If anyone has an upcoming AC with Bakers for Summer VS or an AC with Weil, feel free to message me and I will do my best to help!
    Extraordinarily well done, congrats!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Congrats! Did your email give you a deadline to submit as mine didnt?
    This is what I was sent by DACB:

Please be assured that the video interview deadline is Friday 11th March for all video submissions.

Please do feel free to click on the link in the original email, as it won’t automatically take you to record but will allow you to view each question. The interview has four questions with a timed answer, you will have three attempts to complete and re-record any answers if needs be.

Reactions: LegalAmin

A.Diane01

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    OMG Addleshaw VS!

GIF by Digg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.