TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
does anyone know how long it usually takes Slaughter and May's GR team to reply to emails - I emailed asking a quite an important Q about my offer on Thursday but was wondering how long is normal to wait for a response?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
people like Paul, you are more than enough Jess you are doing a great job
Well with a compliment like that, that's made my Valentines day (beats the card my Mum sent me anyway)....

🤣

I know we are considering getting more firms involved with TCLA. I think it is just a tricky thing for law firm's GR teams to commit to. It's not necessarily just down to time, sometimes it can be a bit of a nightmare to get approval to do things like this. I know, as I was the first firm to sign up to TSR back in the day and post in there. Lots of people in PR didn't particularly like the idea of us doing it, as it was really putting the firm out there and open to criticism.

I'll have a think about how we could get more firm's/recruiters involved though and know we will tackle the subject in one of our future team meetings.

I'd be interested if anyone would be cautious of more recruiters using the forums?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you,

I can tell you that in the last four years, I have attended so many virtual events and I have seen only one brown woman! I can list all the law firms and it was just shocking to me. Maybe they work in the office but I have not seen them on the panels interacting with students or aspiring solicitors. Maybe you could advise them to be more present as representation matters!
    I was actually surprised by the diversity of NRF's GR team because I have felt the same when attending events and the like!

Reactions: George Maxwell

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Well with a compliment like that, that's made my Valentines day (beats the card my Mum sent me anyway)....

🤣

I know we are considering getting more firms involved with TCLA. I think it is just a tricky thing for law firm's GR teams to commit to. It's not necessarily just down to time, sometimes it can be a bit of a nightmare to get approval to do things like this. I know, as I was the first firm to sign up to TSR back in the day and post in there. Lots of people in PR didn't particularly like the idea of us doing it, as it was really putting the firm out there and open to criticism.

I'll have a think about how we could get more firm's/recruiters involved though and know we will tackle the subject in one of our future team meetings.

I'd be interested if anyone would be cautious of more recruiters using the forums?
    @Jessica Booker you are our Valentine!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you,

I can tell you that in the last four years, I have attended so many virtual events and I have seen only one brown woman! I can list all the law firms and it was just shocking to me. Maybe they work in the office but I have not seen them on the panels interacting with students or aspiring solicitors. Maybe you could advise them to be more present as representation matters!
    A lot of people from minorities don't want to be wheeled out more to be honest. They tend to get proportionately overused in the first place, not just by Grad Rec but by the firm more generally. That doesn't just apply to Grad Rec, but trainees/associates/partners too - I have lost count of how many times I have had someone effectively say to me "are you asking me to do this because I am (delete one or more of the following) black/state school educated/non-binary/neuro-diverse/old" etc,

It is a really tricky balance to strike, especially with increasing amounts of marketing/events activity, and with more activity specifically for minority groups.

Slightly controversial view, but HR isn't exactly a prestigious career to aim for either, meaning for a lot of cultures there are going to be far fewer people wanting to get into it. Grad Rec is also a very "UK" centred industry. There are some other geographical hot spots, but apart from South Africa, they tend to be predominately white countries.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    any thoughts on how best to start a video interview, and the types of points worth making. Is it best to focus on why the work at the firm is appealing or go into things like pro bono ect

Hi @gilo,

If I am understanding your question correctly, are you asking for general advice for VIs? This sort of question is difficult to answer in the abstract. If you had a few ideas of questions you were unsure about how to answer, I would be more than happy to help :).

In the meantime, here is a post containing some generic feedback about VIs.

For what it's worth, I always tended to keep discussions regarding pro bono limited in my applications/interviews. The firms that you are applying make their money from their commercial work and the vast majority of your involvement with the firm would be commercial too. So although pro bono is worth mentioning if it is something about the firm that attracts you, especially if a firm has a unique pro bono programme*, I would not mention pro bono as one of your primary motivations for joining a firm. It is worth remembering too that all of the big commercial firms have pro bono programmes.

*Akin Gump were an example of this. Their pro bono scholars programme was unlike anything I found in any of the other firms I applied to, so I did mention this in interview.

I had my Slaughters interview in mid Jan, and haven't received a response - shall I assume PFO?

Hey @holahola99,

As a general rule, try not to make any presumptions without actually being told by the firm. One of the Slaughters future trainees I know didn't hear back after their (TC) interview for three weeks or so. They were then told that part of the delay had been caused by their referee not replying to emails!

How did you find the interview?

Do let me know when you find out! I am rooting for you 🚀

Can someone please share some advice for Pinsent's AC? please PM me if possible. Also @James Carrabino @George Maxwell if you could please mention me on threads where this was discussed before.

Thanks everyone.

Hi @GXA123,

Would it be helpful for me to post some generic AC advice for you in lieu of the specific threads you asked about? If so, my response to @NikkiT below might be useful 👊

I haven't been one but recruited for HM Treasury for these roles so might be able to provide some insight.

@Jessica Booker I never knew this! Turns out you have even more recruiting experience than I had thought 💪

Does anyone have any general AC advice? Or is there a previous thread on this?
    If anyone can help please send me a message 😅☺️

Hey @NikkiT,

Absolutely! This post details not only a list of the best content on TCLA regarding ACs, but also the approach I employed when I had an AC coming up. @James Carrabino and @AvniD provided some fantastic thoughts on this topic too here and here. I also think it might be worth looking at @Jessica Booker's insights into how ACs are assessed.

I hope that helps!

Out of interest, where is your AC? And when is it coming up?

Very happy to provide further queries if you have them 🤙

I recently received an AC invite from HSF but it falls on the same day as something else. Both things are stressing me out but although they fall on the same day, they are occurring at different times and the timings won't overlap (they are 2 hours apart). I've told grad rec and they said I could reschedule. However, the next possible date is on 16 March, which is quite far from now.
    1. My question, will completing my AC at a later date affect my ability to secure a vac scheme? I am asking as I heard that HSF responds on the day itself. I am worried that choosing a later AC will mean that I am competing for a lesser number of slots.
    2. Additionally, would it be rude to email grad rec and ask if choosing a later date will impact my chance of securing a vac scheme with them?
    3. How much time is actually enough to prepare for an AC? I currently have 10 days till my AC. Is that enough time to be ready?
    I would appreciate any advice. Thank you very much <33

Hey @Lian Lian,

I am really sorry to hear that you have been so stressed. The community really is here to support you and I am really pleased to know that you feel comfortable enough airing your concerns here 🙌

As @Jessica Booker said, I think doing what is best for your mental health is important. I do not think delaying your AC will affect your chances personally, even if it seems like it might. As Jess said too, Graduate Recruitment will receive these sorts of requests all the time, so do not worry about being offensive!

Finally, 10 days is plenty of time to prepare for an AC! Take a look at the AC tips I posted above. If you start early and prepare little and often, you will be absolutely fine.

Ultimately though, it is important that you try to ensure that you are going to be the best version of yourself on the AC. If you are going to be stressed and unfocused as a result of this other event on the same day as the AC, I would suggest going with the later date. The small possibility of competing for fewer places would be outweighed by the fact you would be more likely to perform at your best!

Please do reach out if you would like any further advice.

Along with the rest of the team, I am always on hand to help where I can 😇

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker you are our Valentine!
    blush blushing GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    does anyone know how long it usually takes Slaughter and May's GR team to reply to emails - I emailed asking a quite an important Q about my offer on Thursday but was wondering how long is normal to wait for a response?
    I'd wait at least 72 hours across working days.

If your question is urgent, I'd always call rather than email.

Reactions: gt1465

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    A lot of people from minorities don't want to be wheeled out more to be honest. They tend to get proportionately overused in the first place, not just by Grad Rec but by the firm more generally. That doesn't just apply to Grad Rec, but trainees/associates/partners too - I have lost count of how many times I have had someone effectively say to me "are you asking me to do this because I am (delete one or more of the following) black/state school educated/non-binary/neuro-diverse/old" etc,

It is a really tricky balance to strike, especially with increasing amounts of marketing/events activity, and with more activity specifically for minority groups.

Slightly controversial view, but HR isn't exactly a prestigious career to aim for either, meaning for a lot of cultures there are going to be far fewer people wanting to get into it. Grad Rec is also a very "UK" centred industry. There are some other geographical hot spots, but apart from South Africa, they tend to be predominately white countries.
    Thank you for this very detailed response, I really appreciate and value your response.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this very detailed response, I really appreciate and value your response.
    I appreciate the opportunity to talk about these things too. I wish there were ways to make representation much clearer without forcing it, the benefits for everyone would be immense.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I appreciate the opportunity to talk about these things too. I wish there were ways to make representation much clearer without forcing it, the benefits for everyone would be immense.
    I know, it is becoming personally frustrating to see the lack of black people in the corporate world. However, I do understand their frustration in not wanting to be a token. My team is predominantly BAME for a specific PR reason; it is a tricky balance and difficult to achieve.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, just curious if you receive a TC from a spring VS, typically when do you need to accept/decline it? I know TCs from some summer VS have a ddl of acceptance until mid September, just wondering if spring is the same
    Could be anything from a few days through to mid-September. You really should be given 4 weeks though as a minimum (that is best practice)

How much time you are given typically depends on what stage of your academics you are in. The mid-September rule is really for those who are still at university, while the 4 weeks (or less) will be for those who are graduating in 2022 or have already graduated. If you need to start the GDL/LPC/SQE soon then you will also find your time to consider the offer is less.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021

🤣

Just want to echo the appreciation for the GREAT job you guys do! Literally life savers!

In saying that, part of the reason I like this forum is it feels unaffiliated/independent. I don’t know how I’d feel if I knew/suspected grad rec and recruiters were “spying” on me asking my sometimes stupid questions, drag race memes, love of Taco Bell and wanting support.

That’s not to say it wouldn’t be interesting/offer different plus points and potential advantages. (First hand insight).

But then the other thing I like so much about TCLA is the member and forum leaders integrity. We support, calm and help each other but there are also very strict rules in place which ensure no one gains an unfair advantage or leg up. I don’t know if this impartiality would/could last if actual current grad rec started getting involved.

This is in no way criticism, like I said I think it could be interesting either way. I just like it how it is rn 😂😂❤️❤️❤️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.