TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Idk if this is a stupid question but.. do trainees get overtime? Or is their pay a reflection of their hours usually?
Most likely, no. At best you might get some time off in lieu when you work particularly long hours/weekends though (at the discretion of your team leader).

The pay is in part to reflect your hours. If you are entitled to a bonus, your bonus may also partly reflect the hours you have worked too (although many firms do not pay bonuses to trainees either).

Reactions: Rob93

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2021
I recently received an AC invite from HSF but it falls on the same day as something else. Both things are stressing me out but although they fall on the same day, they are occurring at different times and the timings won't overlap (they are 2 hours apart). I've told grad rec and they said I could reschedule. However, the next possible date is on 16 March, which is quite far from now.
  1. My question, will completing my AC at a later date affect my ability to secure a vac scheme? I am asking as I heard that HSF responds on the day itself. I am worried that choosing a later AC will mean that I am competing for a lesser number of slots.
  2. Additionally, would it be rude to email grad rec and ask if choosing a later date will impact my chance of securing a vac scheme with them?
  3. How much time is actually enough to prepare for an AC? I currently have 10 days till my AC. Is that enough time to be ready?
I would appreciate any advice. Thank you very much <33

Reactions: George Maxwell

emilyrose99

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
I recently received an AC invite from HSF but it falls on the same day as something else. Both things are stressing me out but although they fall on the same day, they are occurring at different times and the timings won't overlap (they are 2 hours apart). I've told grad rec and they said I could reschedule. However, the next possible date is on 16 March, which is quite far from now.
  1. My question, will completing my AC at a later date affect my ability to secure a vac scheme? I am asking as I heard that HSF responds on the day itself. I am worried that choosing a later AC will mean that I am competing for a lesser number of slots.
  2. Additionally, would it be rude to email grad rec and ask if choosing a later date will impact my chance of securing a vac scheme with them?
  3. How much time is actually enough to prepare for an AC? I currently have 10 days till my AC. Is that enough time to be ready?

Please could you let me know how HSF respond if you do email them asking this question - mine is 17 March and having the same worry!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you email them to ask, they are only going to come back and say no it won't impact your chances, even if it was to impact (which I don't think it will).

Remember a lot of the preparation needed for an AC is already done, You researched the firm when you applied, you have been building your skill set for many years etc. I personally feel like you could prep for an AC in half a day (many people may say this isn't enough) and that could easily be broken down into bite-size chunks over the next week or so. And most of that prep is reading things about the firm/market trends, familiarising yourself with key commercial topics the firm works with, and at best maybe a mock interview or practising some interview questions.

I think you have to do what is best for you though. If delaying your AC until next month is better for you mentally, then it's a no brainer in my opinion to move it to that date. You have to consider any risks that you are not in the right frame of mind for the AC and whatever else you have going on that day.

Ghana M.

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone - just a quick question.

I applied to HSF Summer VS -gave my online assessments by 4th Jan. Been waiting for a response from them. The portal says that my application is under review. A lot of people are getting the ACs for Summer VS. Should I send an e-mail to GR for an update? Don't want to see a PFO...

Also, does anyone know what was the benchmark for the online tests?

APPLE619

Star Member
Dec 6, 2021
Hello everyone - just a quick question.

I applied to HSF Summer VS -gave my online assessments by 4th Jan. Been waiting for a response from them. The portal says that my application is under review. A lot of people are getting the ACs for Summer VS. Should I send an e-mail to GR for an update? Don't want to see a PFO...

Also, does anyone know what was the benchmark for the online tests?
I emailed them a while back and they said that the latest I'd hear back by is mid-March so you still have some time. Email away if you want though (when they told me I'll hear back by Mid-March after my email I received an AC invite in 2 days haha).

Reactions: Ghana M. and GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It just occurred to me that I've never seen a male graduate recruiter
There are a few out there and I know of at least two non-binary Grad Recruiters in law too.

HR careers tend to be more female dominated though. Men tend to be more on the supplier side of Early Careers (e.g. people like Jaysen!).

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
If it will stress you out to the extent that it may impact your performance on the day, I wouldn’t. But in terms of prep, I think 10 days is more than enough. Assuming you researched the firm prior to applying, things like going over your application to see what you mentioned, thinking of examples for different competencies, any developments in news stories you’ve been following, brushing up on basic commercial awareness (business risks, factors a business needs to consider when expanding, in what ways law firm practice areas are involved in transactions) wouldn’t take you up to 10 days imo. Feel free to pm me and I can send documents that helped me in AC prep. I didn’t apply to HSF though, so I don’t have any specific advice.
It just occurred to me that I've never seen a male graduate recruiter
I thought everyone knew Paul from Shearman 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.