TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Does anyone else feel like they hate studying their law degree? LOL. I think it's more of the degree format and the intensity of it perhaps that is getting to me but I can't help but wonder maybe its law in itself? It's made me hate learning and education.. the thought of doing a masters sort of disgusts me. Does anyone feel this way?
I never felt like this overall. There were definitely elements I hated (like right now trying to prep for multiple exams, ACs and a having a full time job) but overall I really enjoyed it. I’m actually trying to work out a way to fund a third masters…

Everyone is different though and everyone has a different university experience! I think what I like about studying in general is the very clear goal achieving. Finishing a module and finishing the degree and having something clear to work towards. When working I find the next steps and goals and how to achieve them aren’t so clear cut.

• 🤝
Reactions: smfc and George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone else feel like they hate studying their law degree? LOL. I think it's more of the degree format and the intensity of it perhaps that is getting to me but I can't help but wonder maybe its law in itself? It's made me hate learning and education.. the thought of doing a masters sort of disgusts me. Does anyone feel this way?
I did non-law at undergrad and felt this way by the end of it - swore I would never do a masters in my life, to the consternation of some of my lecturers. Ironically, I pivoted to law, slogged through the GDL and had an absolute blast on my LLM. Having worked in-house extensively and very recently moved into private practice, I can attest that the job is wholly unlike the study - exhaustion with academic study is normal and (for many of us) nearly inevitable. But if you like the ideas and the modes of thinking involved with law, you'll get on just fine in practice.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Took a short break and logging in today after a week or so- got rejected from the last AC I had. Guess that's me done with this cycle, only waiting for Freshfields post-app now but most likely that's a PFO too.

hey friend! i sometimes feel the same way (only made it to 1 AC this year). take a well deserved break and then you can hit the ground running for another cycle of apps whenever you feel ready - we’ll be here in your corner!

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
hey friend! i sometimes feel the same way (only made it to 1 AC this year). take a well deserved break and then you can hit the ground running for another cycle of apps whenever you feel ready - we’ll be here in your corner!
Thank you so much @Adrian_S - I don't express this enough but honestly it is so so heartwarming to read posts by this whole community <3

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I’m always curious why I seem to be so much more successful with us firms than uk ones. Has anyone else noticed any particular generalised differences between the two in terms of what they look for ?
In my view, and this is very very generalised, I think US firms often place a higher premium on experiences and indicators that you'll be able to 'hit the ground running,' as the saying sometimes goes, because of the so-called 'lean' models on which they operate. I also suspect - and I have only narrow anecdotal reasons to think this, so take it with a grain of salt - that US firms tend to place a higher value on your commitment to *their specific firm* and particular practice areas than a lot of the larger full-service UK firms.

Last edited:

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Hi, when did you receive the invite? I did the tests over a month ago for the 2023 TC and still haven’t heard back even though they said I would hear back within 7 days
Hi @John Abram, I applied for 2024 TC on 31/1 and received an online test invite this Monday (21/2).

Edit: well, you know how it is, law firms may be very keen on sticking to deadlines for clients, but for graduates, well, it depends 😄

Reactions: John Travoni

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hi @John Abram, I applied for 2024 TC on 31/1 and received an online test invite this Monday (21/2).
So you received the online test this Monday and you’ve already received a telephone invite? Congrats
But I don’t understand why the firm gets back to some candidates sooo fast but totally abandon the rest of them who have been waiting for weeks

• Wow
Reactions: GXA123

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
So you received the online test this Monday and you’ve already received a telephone invite? Congrats
But I don’t understand why the firm gets back to some candidates sooo fast but totally abandon the rest of them who have been waiting for weeks
Ah, sorry for the mistaken impression. I haven't received a telephone invite but just trying to pre-empt the possibility that I might be invited for a telephone interview. Just trying to give myself the maximum amount of preparation time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.