TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey All,

Just a quick reminder, in about 15 minutes, @Jessica Booker will be interviewing Laura Brunnen, a corporate lawyer and former partner at Fried Frank and Reed Smith. Laura will provide an insight into her experiences, and give her opinions on subjects like making positive impressions, navigating workloads and working relationships, as well as considerations when moving firms. It's going to be a really open and frank conversation.

While mainly targeted at future trainees, you are welcome to sign up here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IzHhMElATkqCIVTkFVBcgg, especially if you are looking for something to do tonight, or you want to watch Jess in action :)

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Sooooo, I know that vac scheme season is winding down and some people are thinking about applying for direct TCs by July. I was wondering how useful any of you thought it might be to start a casual, cool, and comforting application writing group? We could meet virtually (or in person) and gently offer feedback to one another on our application answers while we write together for about an hour each week? I used to form writing groups a lot in graduate school - they can be a great way to help each other out, meet deadlines, and be accountable.

Just an idea! The only rule is: no tearing any one down :) I'm curious to know how many would be into the idea.
    Would definitely be down for virtual meetings!

• 🏆
    Reactions: GXA123

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Also for WBD, if I am currently doing the LPC (but not completed) shall I note it in the education section?

It says on the app: "When completing this education section, we only need to know about the Degree that you have chosen and where you studied and whether you have completed the GDL or LPC. We do not require you to input your GCSE or A Levels."

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Sooooo, I know that vac scheme season is winding down and some people are thinking about applying for direct TCs by July. I was wondering how useful any of you thought it might be to start a casual, cool, and comforting application writing group? We could meet virtually (or in person) and gently offer feedback to one another on our application answers while we write together for about an hour each week? I used to form writing groups a lot in graduate school - they can be a great way to help each other out, meet deadlines, and be accountable.

Just an idea! The only rule is: no tearing any one down :) I'm curious to know how many would be into the idea.
    Yes pls

Reactions: GXA123

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi, how do you move on from a PFO? Had my first one yesterday but I have an interview tomorrow so I could really use some tips on how to dust myself off and carry on. Thanks in advance!
    To an extent this is simply something that comes with time - past a certain point, each PFO becomes a matter of increasing indifference. A big part of that though is that over time you learn to think about PFOs in ways that make them less crushing.

Not everyone thinks about it the same way or develops their thinking along the same lines, but some of my thoughts:

PFOs are an inevitable part of this process, and don't reflect on your merits as an individual or even necessarily the merits of your application/interview. Graduate recruitment is to some extent, for lack of a better word, capricious. Don't take outcomes to heart.

Things may not all happen for a reason, but if you don't move forward with a firm it may just be that they aren't a good fit for you at this point in your journey.

Careers are a project of many decades. Momentary and temporary setbacks don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things, and sooner or later you'll end up somewhere that really works for you and where you can meet your ambitions.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    To an extent this is simply something that comes with time - past a certain point, each PFO becomes a matter of increasing indifference. A big part of that though is that over time you learn to think about PFOs in ways that make them less crushing.

Not everyone thinks about it the same way or develops their thinking along the same lines, but some of my thoughts:

PFOs are an inevitable part of this process, and don't reflect on your merits as an individual or even necessarily the merits of your application/interview. Graduate recruitment is to some extent, for lack of a better word, capricious. Don't take outcomes to heart.

Things may not all happen for a reason, but if you don't move forward with a firm it may just be that they aren't a good fit for you at this point in your journey.

Careers are a project of many decades. Momentary and temporary setbacks don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things, and sooner or later you'll end up somewhere that really works for you and where you can meet your ambitions.
    @Rob93 this is eloquently put. Thank you for this post.

@catriona_g, I cannot add much to what Rob has said. However, what I will say is that I got a fair few rejections along the way and ended up where I wanted to be (at a firm I am proud of with a choice as to where I wanted to go). I know that @AvniD and @James Carrabino were/are the same. You are absolutely capable of doing the same.

With that being said, you will be a better candidate for having written that application or having completed that interview. Take some time away from applications, focus your mind on something (anything!) which is not a law application. When you feel ready, come back to the process with a fire in your belly 🔥

We are all here to support you in this process (that's me, the rest of the team and the community too, as Rob demonstrated with their fantastic post). Please reach out if you need anything.

I am rooting for you 💪

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.