TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
If making direct tc apps and mentioning that you have a vac scheme in the summer coming up, do you think it would be helpful to include a brief one liner that your still mostly interested in the firm your making a direct tc app to, for a training contract?
This is where I think the adage 'Show, don't tell' comes in. Simply telling the firm that you are mostly interested in them is meaningless. As @Jessica Booker said, the firm knows that you wouldn't be applying if you weren't interested in them, but they also know that you'll be happy wherever you get an offer!

The only problem is if your written application itself is not compelling enough to convince them that you are mostly interested in them. If you explain all of the reasons why you like them well enough then you should have them believing that they are your dream firm without question!

If it comes to an interview stage then you can start preparing for a possible question about what happens if you get both offers, but at the application stage it may even be a red flag to imply that the firm should be asking questions about how interested you are really in working for them.

I hope that is useful!

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and tt_xo

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Has anyone on here ever gotten to a Direct TC AC for Orrick?

I am trying to decide if it's worth applying since they only have 4 TCs.

Thanks.
I believe that they only started hosting a vac scheme two years ago, so they are accustomed to using the direct TC route and I would guess that it takes some time before that route loses its viability :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: Brandon93

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I believe that they only started hosting a vac scheme two years ago, so they are accustomed to using the direct TC route and I would guess that it takes some time before that route loses its viability :)
Although it’s true the vac scheme is a very new route it is the preferred route. The TC app before was for an open day so effectively a very condensed VS or extended AC. Last cycle was the first time they ran the VS covid massively delayed the 2020 recruitment and it was all moved to 2021.

• ℹ️
Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Although it’s true the vac scheme is a very new route it is the preferred route. The TC app before was for an open day so effectively a very condensed VS or extended AC. Last cycle was the first time they ran the VS covid massively delayed the 2020 recruitment and it was all moved to 2021.
Thanks for this @Abii!

NS95

Star Member
Oct 25, 2021
Same here. Did my AC on the 28th. Should I assume a PFO at this point?
Freshfields offer too! I had truly given up with applications this cycle 😭 (2nd year applying)

I got a call this week (Tuesday) with an offer. I had already lost hope but they still are calling people. They were very apologetic about the delay. You really never know :)

My candidate portal was actually updated on 31 March but I guess they were quite busy and only managed to call this week. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.