TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I got the call on Monday offering me a TC at NRF (my dream firm). After 3 cycles, over 40 applications and multiple rejections I really didn't think it was possible but as my username suggests, it was indeed third time lucky! I truly couldn’t have gotten it without the support of the forum and the resources available on the TCLA so thank you all so much for everything! And if I can help anyone/or the forum in any way it would be a huge privilege! Now to relax until January!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So… I got the call on Monday offering me a TC at my dream firm after 3 cycles, over 40 applications and multiple rejections. I truly couldn’t have gotten it without the support of the forum and the resources available on the TCLA so thank you so much for everything! And if I can help anyone/or the forum in any way it would be a huge privilege! Now to relax until January!
    This is amazing news - delighted for you!

Happy Go On GIF by Molang

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    So… I got the call on Monday offering me a TC at my dream firm after 3 cycles, over 40 applications and multiple rejections. I truly couldn’t have gotten it without the support of the forum and the resources available on the TCLA so thank you so much for everything! And if I can help anyone/or the forum in any way it would be a huge privilege! Now to relax until January!
    @thirdtimelucky so, so happy for you! You've been such an insightful contributor to the forum and I hope that you find everything you're looking for and more at your dream firm. Please do take all the time you can to relax and let this news sink in- it's absolutely well deserved. And I do hope to see you around on the Junior Lawyers' Community here at TCLA now that you have your TC!

A huge congratulations and wishing you the very best!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I didn't convert last year for the only vac scheme that I had in my first cycle. But now in my second cycle, I have 3 vacation schemes, 1 TC AC and I haven't been asked about my previous vac scheme.

If I converted the first time, I wouldn't have had the opportunity with these firms. Just remember that this rejection is a redirection!
    Love this! You're absolutely right- treating rejection as redirection really is key.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What if you cant prove income? This was like 3 years ago
    Then you just explain that to the reference check company and they take that onboard. They may want another form of proof depending on how long the self employment was for and how big a proportion it takes up of your total employment.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    well done! so happy for you <3 <3

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen Hi! If a TC is offered in a regional office, it is possible to ask Grad Rec if you can do your TC in the London office instead and how would you advise navigating the conversation please? Thanks!
    You can ask, but in my experience and opinion, it is unlikely that your offer will be directly transferred to the London office.

For decades, firms with regional offices have had to deal with people trying to game the recruitment process by applying to offices they think will be less popular, in the hope you they can then do what you are suggesting. This may not be your intention and you may have just changed your mind as to which location you want to work in, but the problem you have is that too many people try to do this at various stages of the recruitment process each year and by default you are associated with those people.

Apart from a straight yes/no decision, the firm could do/say any of the following:
    • You'd have to reapply for the London office to be considered in that talent pipeline and benchmarked against them.
    • You'd have to start the interview process again with London based lawyers (to me this is the most likely outcome)
    A straight yes is more likely if you are an exceptional candidate and someone they don't want to lose, but even then if it is something you want, then re-interviewing with London lawyers should be something you are happy to do. A straight no is if they have already filled or ringfenced their London opportunities or if they just have a strong policy not to allow such requests (I know enough firms who have such a policy).

You'll need to have a conversation with the grad rec team. If they do consider it, they will probably want to know why this wasn't raised earlier in the recruitment process (why you didn't ask to be transferred ahead of your interviews) and what has caused you to change your mind to the location you now want to work in.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen, AvniD and Asil Ahmad

Lawman

Apr 29, 2022
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen Hi! If a TC is offered in a regional office, it is possible to ask Grad Rec if you can do your TC in the London office instead and how would you advise navigating the conversation please? Thanks!
    It depends on the regional firm. So eg. Gowling and Shoosmiths have said in talks that they are not flexible in regards to this and find it quite off-putting if a candidate asks, especially considering how proud they are of their regional prowess. Firms like Eversheds may be more flexible though!

Nov 2, 2021
    You can ask, but in my experience and opinion, it is unlikely that your offer will be directly transferred to the London office.

For decades, firms with regional offices have had to deal with people trying to game the recruitment process by applying to offices they think will be less popular, in the hope you they can then do what you are suggesting. This may not be your intention and you may have just changed your mind as to which location you want to work in, but the problem you have is that too many people try to do this at various stages of the recruitment process each year and by default you are associated with those people.

Apart from a straight yes/no decision, the firm could do/say any of the following:
    • You'd have to reapply for the London office to be considered in that talent pipeline and benchmarked against them.
    • You'd have to start the interview process again with London based lawyers (to me this is the most likely outcome)
    A straight yes is more likely if you are an exceptional candidate and someone they don't want to lose, but even then if it is something you want, then re-interviewing with London lawyers should be something you are happy to do. A straight no is if they have already filled or ringfenced their London opportunities or if they just have a strong policy not to allow such requests (I know enough firms who have such a policy).

You'll need to have a conversation with the grad rec team. If they do consider it, they will probably want to know why this wasn't raised earlier in the recruitment process (why you didn't ask to be transferred ahead of your interviews) and what has caused you to change your mind to the location you now want to work in.

Thank you very much. It would be because I'd have experienced a VS in a London office and decided I prefer London. Do you know if Addleshaw Goddard or DLA have any strong policy on this please?

Also, if an NQ trains at a regional office and applies to move to a London office - is training in the regions looked down on less favourably please?

Lily1234

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2022
    Thank you very much. It would be because I'd have experienced a VS in a London office and decided I prefer London. Do you know if Addleshaw Goddard or DLA have any strong policy on this please?

Also, if an NQ trains at a regional office and applies to move to a London office - is training in the regions looked down on less favourably please?
    Hi! My friend actually had this exact experience with DLA a few years ago. She did the VS with them in the Leeds office and received a TC offer, but realised she wanted to live in London so asked to be transferred. She was told she would need to reapply for the VS in London the following year. So I believe she used that time to do some more work experience and made her app even stronger for the London application. She is now a trainee at DLA London. Hope that helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I suspect the firm is likely to still require you to interview with London based partners rather than directly move your offer across. You can explain that you have done a London based VS with another firm, and that is the reason for the change but I don’t think this necessarily changes their position on how they would deal with it, especially if your VS was before your interview.

I would just call the GR teams at both firms and speak to them about it. These things may not be constant (as lots of external factors outside of your control will ultimately influence the decision), so it is just best to speak to the firm about the possibility.

It is not that the training will be looked down upon, but ultimately if you have been regionally based and are then looking to move to London, you’ll need certain things to align - namely exposure to the right practice areas, exposure to similar types of clients and matters, exposure to the same complexity and size of matters. That is not always straight forward if you are coming from a regional office to a city office. However, it’s not impossible, it’s just going to depend on the experiences you gain during your TC and how they position you against other NQs who have trained in London.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    I got the call on Monday offering me a TC at NRF (my dream firm). After 3 cycles, over 40 applications and multiple rejections I really didn't think it was possible but as my username suggests, it was indeed third time lucky! I truly couldn’t have gotten it without the support of the forum and the resources available on the TCLA so thank you all so much for everything! And if I can help anyone/or the forum in any way it would be a huge privilege! Now to relax until January!
    I am not AT ALL surprised, but I’m so happy for you! Major congrats. NRF is such a great firm

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Anyone have insight into trainee development at Hogan Lovells and Travers. Am struggling to pick between the two
    This is based on absolutely nothing but personal observations but I’ve known quite a lot of people who qualified into contentious seats at Hovell who moved onto elite US firms after that. On the flip side I hear great things about approachability and work life balance at Travers, and all their D&I stuff I see looks really good. Both excellent firms so can’t go wrong. Really depends on what is important to you!

Reactions: TCApp2021
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.