TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I am unsure that this is the right thread, but after failing to transform a VS in a TC, I asked for detailed feedback. The motivations I was provided with when they actually called me, did not make any sense and were so vague that I was really bothered ("you did not manage to demonstrate enough enthusiasm"....like ok... I can't even really tell you how ridiculous it was...).
But the weird thing is that when I asked for specific feedback, they e-mailed back saying that they could reply to my email or arrange a call, the choice was completely mine.
Now, I work over 50 hours a week and I spent way too much time to go through their assessment process and to attend a scheme there - I am also residing abroad and the whole experience was very difficult for me already...I am frustrated and I would rather hear from them by email. So I send them my preference and they reply saying that becuase my email address is external and in order to comply with their data protection policy it is best to arrange a call.
I am really annoyed now. What are they talking about? Is it so hard to provide proper feedback by email? Does anyone else have similar experience or were unable to get written feebdack?
I swear my impression given this approach is that their assessment criteria are non existent and their decision-making process is random. I am so angry....looking for reassurance :/

Did you give them a work email address by any chance? If so, that might be the data issue. I cannot think of any other reason why they would potentially change their mind (as it seems they were happy to provide it via email at first). The only thing could be if there are any data concerns relating to other people in the process (both interviewers or other candidates), but this seems unlikely.

Calls are generally a lot easier for them - it's quicker for them to do it over a call and answer any questions you may have, rather than providing a written document to you, and for you to then come back with questions and for there to potentially be back and forth. I generally encourage people to have a call rather than rely on something in writing as:

1) You can ask questions as you discuss the feedback
2) You can ask for clairty
3) You can listen to the tone a lot more - I think people will often read things differently when they are written versus how they may come across in a call
4) Although this doesn't sound like it would be the case in your instance, you could ask the firm what other opportunities there could be with the firm/whether you could reapply.

iamJW

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 21, 2019
Has anyone had any positive experience with being rejected post-AC for a VS and then having some success after applying for a direct TC with the same firm within the same cycle? I was strongly encouraged to reapply for the direct TC route that opens this summer in my AC feedback call and although it doesn't conflict with any policy (only applying once per cycle etc) I am wondering how I can improve my application or how likely I will make it to the AC stage when my experiences are unlikely to change between now and the summer?

Arendt0927

Junior Lawyer
Apr 14, 2022
Hi guys, (sorry this may not be the right place to post) just wondering if anyone has any experience/tips regarding reshaping your mindset after failing to convert a VS?
It's my first VS - I understand that it's a learning process & you can improve based on your feedback (yet to receive), but I'm slightly trapped by my own "if you can't make this one you're probably not gonna make the other schemes because no one wants you" thinking:(
I have 2 other schemes in the summer - would really appreciate any tips & insights

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone had any positive experience with being rejected post-AC for a VS and then having some success after applying for a direct TC with the same firm within the same cycle? I was strongly encouraged to reapply for the direct TC route that opens this summer in my AC feedback call and although it doesn't conflict with any policy (only applying once per cycle etc) I am wondering how I can improve my application or how likely I will make it to the AC stage when my experiences are unlikely to change between now and the summer?
I have had experience of this as a recruiter. In fact, I can name several associates at firms who I had this exact same conversation with.

My advice is to focus your efforts on improving in the areas the firm highlighted as development areas. Being quite bold in subsequent applications to say "you told me this wasn't strong enough, and so I have subsequently done X and Y" is a pretty powerful statement and doesn't mean everything has to change. You are just focusing on changing in the area the firm said you needed to.

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell, Jaysen and iamJW

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, (sorry this may not be the right place to post) just wondering if anyone has any experience/tips regarding reshaping your mindset after failing to convert a VS?
It's my first VS - I understand that it's a learning process & you can improve based on your feedback (yet to receive), but I'm slightly trapped by my own "if you can't make this one you're probably not gonna make the other schemes because no one wants you" thinking:(
I have 2 other schemes in the summer - would really appreciate any tips & insights
Just because one firm doesn't think you are right for them (or that they are not right for you) now, doesn't mean every firm will think that whether that be right now or forever in the future. If that was the case, thousands of partners across law firms wouldn't be where they are now.

You have two fantastic opportunities coming up - consider them fresh opportunities to impress rather than anything like a second chance. You are starting from scratch BUT with the advantage that you can take the lessons learned from your first scheme. Get the feedback from your Spring scheme firm, and think about how you can apply that feedback to your learning/skill set ahead of your other schemes.

Try not to beat yourself up too much until you have your feedback. You don't know the reasons why the firm didn't pick you this time. And it sounds brutal, but the firm could have ultimately done you a favour. Maybe they are not the right firm for you? It sounds like this is the very first opportunity you have had to secure a TC. Just because it is the first, doesn't mean it is actually the best!

Arendt0927

Junior Lawyer
Apr 14, 2022
Just because one firm doesn't think you are right for them (or that they are not right for you) now, doesn't mean every firm will think that whether that be right now or forever in the future. If that was the case, thousands of partners across law firms wouldn't be where they are now.

You have two fantastic opportunities coming up - consider them fresh opportunities to impress rather than anything like a second chance. You are starting from scratch BUT with the advantage that you can take the lessons learned from your first scheme. Get the feedback from your Spring scheme firm, and think about how you can apply that feedback to your learning/skill set ahead of your other schemes.

Try not to beat yourself up too much until you have your feedback. You don't know the reasons why the firm didn't pick you this time. And it sounds brutal, but the firm could have ultimately done you a favour. Maybe they are not the right firm for you? It sounds like this is the very first opportunity you have had to secure a TC. Just because it is the first, doesn't mean it is actually the best!
Thank you Jessica, this helps a lot! <3

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Hi everyone, I'm unsure where to post this but I need some help.

Received a TC offer from firm "A" and I'm very happy about that. However, I have only a couple of weeks to accept firm A's TC offer and have upcoming VSs with firms "B" and "C" this summer.

I prefer firms B and C to firm A, and would absolutely accept a TC with one of them instead of firm A. I know I performed very well in my ACs for all three firms based on my feedback.

How do I go about discussing this with firms B and C without sounding like I'm trying to finesse a TC offer? I am not sure if letting them know which firm the TC offer is with is the right call. Moreover, I've got so many finals to prepare for that I'm unsure if I'd have time to do another AC until June.

Any tips?

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen , perhaps you two could help me out if you have the time.

Thanks so much guys!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I'm unsure where to post this but I need some help.

Received a TC offer from firm "A" and I'm very happy about that. However, I have only a couple of weeks to accept firm A's TC offer and have upcoming VSs with firms "B" and "C" this summer.

I prefer firms B and C to firm A, and would absolutely accept a TC with one of them instead of firm A. I know I performed very well in my ACs for all three firms based on my feedback.

How do I go about discussing this with firms B and C without sounding like I'm trying to finesse a TC offer? I am not sure if letting them know which firm the TC offer is with is the right call. Moreover, I've got so many finals to prepare for that I'm unsure if I'd have time to do another AC until June.

Any tips?

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen , perhaps you two could help me out if you have the time.

Thanks so much guys!
    Before I advise, do you want to do the vacation schemes or would you prefer to go forward for a direct TC process?

Zubin

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Before I advise, do you want to do the vacation schemes or would you prefer to go forward for a direct TC process?
    I would prefer a TC offer from firm B or C instead of doing the vacation schemes. However, I would prefer to do the vacation schemes instead of accepting a TC with firm A. I'm much keener on firms B and C than firm A.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would prefer a TC offer from firm B or C instead of doing the vacation schemes. However, I would prefer to do the vacation schemes instead of accepting a TC with firm A. I'm much keener on firms B and C than firm A.
    Call (this isn’t something to rely on email for) firms B and C and see if they can offer a direct TC recruitment process or if they could whether they would still advise you to do the vacation scheme.

If they can’t offer one or advise to do the vac scheme instead to give you the best chance of securing a TC, the decision is made for you really.

You can accept firm A and then renege if needed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.