TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalgyal100

Standard Member
  • Feb 25, 2022
    It isn't really the type of consultancy firm, more how prestigious they are. Certain consultancy firms are exceptionally competitive (more so that the equivalent law firm) and so it will be really important to ensure you are show casing the skills and motivations for consultancy.

However, I'll be frank, many consultancy firms are quite interested in people who have considered law, mainly where law student populations are much more diverse than their talent pool!
    perfect, thank you! lots to think about .

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I'm aware this is a very general question and may have been asked before. But how long would you expect to wait to hear from graduate recruitment after your AC?
    Could be up to two weeks usually. However, sometimes some firms will wait for all their ACs to be completed before offering anyone, and therefore if you attended one of the first ACs, you may not hear back for some time.

If you haven't heard back within two weeks, send the GR team a quick and polite email asking when you will hear back.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know the conversion rate from VS to TC for NRF? Can't seem to find much information on that anywhere
    I suspect there isn't a specific conversion rate - if the firm didn't want to offer anyone, they would just do more direct TC hiring.

But their profile on Chambers suggests they recruit 50-60 VSers a year and have 45 TCs and so I very much suspect there is no issue of there being too few TC spots for VSers to convert to.

Reactions: George Maxwell and ellek

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Is anyone taking part in Legal cheek event this Thursday? It is with White & Case and I might miss a part and was wondering if someone could share their note with me.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi all, I'm aware this is a very general question and may have been asked before. But how long would you expect to wait to hear from graduate recruitment after your AC?
    I've heard back the next morning before and I'm currently waiting over 6 weeks for another one ... if you mention the firm name someone here might be able to share how long they waited :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    WBD VI was an unmitigated disaster 😅😭
    I prepped well for the VI, but sometimes things just don’t come together.
    I’m not one for excuses, but honestly, last 5 weeks of my degree, working 14+ hour days, my brain is just dead and I could not have done any more. You know when you even know what you want to say but the words won’t come? Oh well.

On to the next cycle. 💃🏻

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I’m not one for excuses, but honestly, last 5 weeks of my degree, working 14+ hour days, my brain is just dead and I could not have done any more. You know when you even know what you want to say but the words won’t come? Oh well.

On to the next cycle. 💃🏻
    You have a good attitude towards this and your self-awareness really comes through 👏👏👏. I would say though that don't count yourself out just yet. As it goes, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021

On to the next cycle. 💃🏻
    I know exactly what you mean! Feel the exact same as you :( but better things will come for us!

Lawyered

Standard Member
    Mar 4, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am unsure that this is the right thread, but after failing to transform a VS in a TC, I asked for detailed feedback. The motivations I was provided with when they actually called me, did not make any sense and were so vague that I was really bothered ("you did not manage to demonstrate enough enthusiasm"....like ok... I can't even really tell you how ridiculous it was...).
    But the weird thing is that when I asked for specific feedback, they e-mailed back saying that they could reply to my email or arrange a call, the choice was completely mine.
    Now, I work over 50 hours a week and I spent way too much time to go through their assessment process and to attend a scheme there - I am also residing abroad and the whole experience was very difficult for me already...I am frustrated and I would rather hear from them by email. So I send them my preference and they reply saying that becuase my email address is external and in order to comply with their data protection policy it is best to arrange a call.
    I am really annoyed now. What are they talking about? Is it so hard to provide proper feedback by email? Does anyone else have similar experience or were unable to get written feebdack?
    I swear my impression given this approach is that their assessment criteria are non existent and their decision-making process is random. I am so angry....looking for reassurance :/

• 🤝
    Reactions: GXA123, bibss and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.