TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilz

Esteemed Member
Dec 16, 2020
Finally heard back from BLM and to be honest I won’t be applying in the future. After waiting months for a response they knew the merger was happening why keep their applications open.
I do think it is rather shocking from BLM. No updates, no warning, or nothing. They didn’t even apologise! It’s a shame that all our hard work has gone to waste on that application. I’m not fussed anyway as I’ve already accepted an offer, but out of principle I think it was very poor how they handled it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Finally heard back from BLM and to be honest I won’t be applying in the future. After waiting months for a response they knew the merger was happening why keep their applications open.
I have been in similar situations - it's really difficult in telling candidates what is going on. Being very public about whether they are/aren't recruiting trainees is a bit of a risk factor for them, and so it is better to keep quiet until they know what is happening and go about business (including recruitment) as normal until you can confirm otherwise.

• ℹ️
Reactions: John Doe and George Maxwell

Lakshmi

Junior Lawyer
Jul 6, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker
I feel incredibly fortunate to have been offered a TC at a firm (Firm A), that I have until 27th June to accept. I have also accepted a summer vacation scheme at another firm (Firm B), with the scheme only ending on 5th July. Neither firms mention anything regarding undertaking work experiences after accepting a TC with any other firm on their contracts. Would it be alright to accept Firm A's TC offer and subsequently undertake Firm B's vacation scheme?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
I feel incredibly fortunate to have been offered a TC at a firm (Firm A), that I have until 27th June to accept. I have also accepted a summer vacation scheme at another firm (Firm B), with the scheme only ending on 5th July. Neither firms mention anything regarding undertaking work experiences after accepting a TC with any other firm on their contracts. Would it be alright to accept Firm A's TC offer and subsequently undertake Firm B's vacation scheme?
Ultimately, if there is nothing contractually stopping you then you can go ahead with the vacation scheme.

However, if you are certain you will accept Firm A's TC over anything Firm B would offer you though, I'd encourage you to withdraw from the vacation scheme unless earning the money is vital for you. There really wouldn't be any reason to do the vacation scheme if you are 100% sure you will accept Firm A's offer, unless you needed the vacation scheme's salary.

Reactions: Lakshmi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.