TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    I believe that if you are not in the UK they probably can arrange it to be virtual for you. I have heard of many international candidates who did this (albeit at other firms)!
    Hi, any idea which firms give the option of virtual Assessment Centres? And will this option only exist currently due to Covid restrictions, or do these firms usually also give this option?

Reactions: George Maxwell

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    I know NRF apps haven't opened yet for direct TC but I was wondering if anybody can see the application link bc I'm lost on their grad website and I can't find it?
    Sub q if anybody knows: will the portal have four slots for filling in our work experience (like for the vac scheme apps) or do we need to upload a CV to their portal?

Any guidance helps, TIA!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I know NRF apps haven't opened yet for direct TC but I was wondering if anybody can see the application link bc I'm lost on their grad website and I can't find it?
    Sub q if anybody knows: will the portal have four slots for filling in our work experience (like for the vac scheme apps) or do we need to upload a CV to their portal?

Any guidance helps, TIA!
    If applications are closed, then firms will often remove the application link/button, so it might be the case there currently isn’t one.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: lawcurious and Adrian_S

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    BCLP VI Invite. If anyone is willing to give me some tips on how to approach this VI I would be grateful.
    Hey I did the video interview with BCLP. It lasted 18 minutes with 2 grad rec people asking questions. They were based on both competencies like teamwork and why BCLP/why law, they also asked questions tjay were similar to the situational questions they used in the written application like how would you build relationships. I would say i found that it wasn’t very easy to prep for as the questions were framed a bit differently than I was used to but just ensure to be yourself!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Brandon93

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019

Any guidance helps, TIA!

Applications open on 31 May. That's why you haven't been able to access a link at this point.

Reactions: lawcurious

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, any idea which firms give the option of virtual Assessment Centres? And will this option only exist currently due to Covid restrictions, or do these firms usually also give this option?
    Hey @IT7,

My advice would be to ask the firm directly. I would guess that firms may run (some) virtual assessment centres still, albeit alongside in-person ones, given that they will have had to make it work during covid and there will always be candidates who will struggle to attend in person). However, I think that this will depend on the firm.

Which firms are you particularly interested in?

Any guidance helps, TIA!
    Hey @lawcurious,

If you have not already, I would email NRF directly about not being able to find the application link. Unless you found it in the end?

Very happy to answer any questions about the NRF application process if you (or anyone else) would like to!

Reactions: IT7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I need to provide a working example for the competency 'operational excellence' for an upcoming interview - any suggestions what this means please? I've tried googling with mixed results
    I need to provide a working example for the competency 'operational excellence' for an upcoming interview - any suggestions what this means please? I've tried googling with mixed results
    Operational means practically delivering something. So I would just simplify this down to when you have delivered something to an exceptional standard. However, given it is operational, this shouldn’t really be anything academic. There needs to be more of a practical outcome I think for this answer to work well.

Brandon93

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey I did the video interview with BCLP. It lasted 18 minutes with 2 grad rec people asking questions. They were based on both competencies like teamwork and why BCLP/why law, they also asked questions tjay were similar to the situational questions they used in the written application like how would you build relationships. I would say i found that it wasn’t very easy to prep for as the questions were framed a bit differently than I was used to but just ensure to be yourself!
    Thank you!

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    If I apply for a direct TC in a firm's summer application window i.e. now (May 2022) until July 2022 and fail to get a TC, generally speaking will I still be allowed to apply for a VS/TC when the new application cycle starts in autumn 2022? Am I right to assume that once autumn comes around it's viewed as a new application cycle altogether and so my failed TC application in the 2021/22 would not bar me from reapplying for a VS/TC with the same firm in the 2022/23 cycle in the autumn?

I'm aware that if you failed to secure a vac scheme in 2021/22 it is unlikely that you will be allowed to apply for a direct TC with the same firm in the same 2021/22 cycle in the summer, but not sure how it works for direct TC applications in the summer and how that will affect my chances of reapplying to the same firm in the 2022/23 cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I apply for a direct TC in a firm's summer application window i.e. now (May 2022) until July 2022 and fail to get a TC, generally speaking will I still be allowed to apply for a VS/TC when the new application cycle starts in autumn 2022? Am I right to assume that once autumn comes around it's viewed as a new application cycle altogether and so my failed TC application in the 2021/22 would not bar me from reapplying for a VS/TC with the same firm in the 2022/23 cycle in the autumn?

I'm aware that if you failed to secure a vac scheme in 2021/22 it is unlikely that you will be allowed to apply for a direct TC with the same firm in the same 2021/22 cycle in the summer, but not sure how it works for direct TC applications in the summer and how that will affect my chances of reapplying to the same firm in the 2022/23 cycle?
    It is worthwhile checking each firm's policy on this.

Some firms will state you can't reapply for 12 months, so it doesn't necessarily mean the new cycle will be available to you. Some will see it as a new application season though, and will let you reapply. Some firms only allow you to apply a certain number of times, and therefore if you have made two applications previously, you may find you have reached your limit.

Reactions: average_jo123

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    Hey @Jessica Booker , I was wondering if you've any clue as to why firms still recruit two years in advance (esp non law students)? I got a TC offer with a firm recently and they don't require me to do GDL. Instead, my foundational law course is merged in SQE prep itself! So all that can be done between 2023-24 and I technically still have an year extra which GDL would have occupied.

Any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker , I was wondering if you've any clue as to why firms still recruit two years in advance (esp non law students)? I got a TC offer with a firm recently and they don't require me to do GDL. Instead, my foundational law course is merged in SQE prep itself! So all that can be done between 2023-24 and I technically still have an year extra which GDL would have occupied.

Any advice?
    I suspect it’s still where they are recruiting penultimate year law students who can’t start for two years (final year of their degree, one year of SQE prep). In time they may move to a process where they hire across intakes, but I suspect it will just be easier for them to hire for one intake per year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.