TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I’ve been accepted onto a vacation scheme without being invited to any tasks such as further tests, interviews, or assessment centres beyond the application stage. Should I be concerned hahahaha
    Email them and ring them up just to confirm this as it can be an error it happened to me with 2 lawv firms this year and appatrently their IT systems got hacked. Just chase them up to confiorm if this is correct.

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hiya, just a quick one. This may be a silly q but I've downloaded the Fried Frank application question page, and within the questions, it is labelled a 'cover letter - this section is free text with no word count' but under this heading, there are 7 questions. Does this mean you are expected to submit a cover letter in addition to answering the 7 questions? Any help would be appreciated as I'm just confused lol

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I've tested positive for covid today and my in-person vac scheme starts a week today. At what point should I email them and tell them/ask what happens if I'm still testing positive in a week?
    I’d ring them up tomorrow and have them confirm via email. Chances are you’ll be able to join, worst case scenario you’re delayed by a few days. I’m sure they’ve accounted for that in a post-COVID world. Just give them sufficient notice that they can help make arrangements for a possible WFH start and follow up again on Friday.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    Hiya, just a quick one. I am writing a TC application for a firm in which I have successfully been offered a paralegal position which I am to start in August. Are there any tips on how to incorporate this upcoming position in a 'why are you applying to us' application q?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hiya, just a quick one. I am writing a TC application for a firm in which I have successfully been offered a paralegal position which I am to start in August. Are there any tips on how to incorporate this upcoming position in a 'why are you applying to us' application q?
    Is it a temp/contract paralegal role or a permanent role?

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Out of curiosity has anyone applied for and got a vac scheme whilst being employed at another firm? how did your employer handle it? as there could be conflicts and clauses in employment contracts that could restrict being able to do so

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Its a FTC role
    It will be fine to include it then - sometime you have to tread carefully if you are trying to apply for another job when you haven’t even started the one you have got.

I’d keep it brief - you haven’t started working there yet and so you can’t really talk about your experiences with the firm beyond the recruitment process. Something as brief as that you are looking forward to joining the firm in August as a Paralegal is likely to be sufficient. You may want to make it clear it is a FTC role though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Out of curiosity has anyone applied for and got a vac scheme whilst being employed at another firm? how did your employer handle it? as there could be conflicts and clauses in employment contracts that could restrict being able to do so
    I know there are plenty of people who have done this in the forums - it’s come up in conversation many times.

The main thing is 1) check your terms and conditions of employment and 2) check whether you can take the time off first. You’ll need to disclose your reasoning for having time off and your current firm will make a decision to decline/approve it from there.

If they do approve it, conflict checks are likely to need to be done with both your current employer and your VS firm.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Hus95

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey @Jessica Booker can I do my vac schemes if i have already accepted a training contract offer? I would really value the experience as i have never done a vac scheme or any legal work for that matter. i can’t find anything in any of my contracts that says i can’t. also must i disclose this to both my vs and tc firms?
    If there is nothing in either contract, then there is nothing stopping you from doing this. You may need to disclose the other firm's opportunity as part of conflict checks outside of any contractual terms. However, it will depend on what the firm asks from you as part of that conflicts check too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.