TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

lawstudent321

Standard Member
    May 6, 2022
    Would be great if I could get some advice on this :) I’m due to begin the LPC in September and want to get a part time job, for example in retail, while I study. I would not be working any more than 12 hours a week. Is this feasible?
    The LPC is pretty intense but no more than 12 hours is manageable. You just have to treat it like a 9-5 (sometimes a few more hours), so as long as you can do the hours alongside balancing whatever else you have going on you will be great! Plus it shows good time management skills for interviews! :) Message me if you have any more questions

reesal98

Nov 2, 2021
    Just wanted to ask a question about the LPC. Unfortunately, I wasn’t successful converting my vac schemes. I studied the GDL this year and will continue applying next year. I’m unsure whether I should do the LPC now. On one of my schemes, I was told that if successful, I would have to take the SQE regardless. I don’t want to waste lots of money self-funding the LPC. However, I’m torn as the SRA says you technically can qualify via LPC route up until 2032. I feel like I’ve just wasted a year doing the GDL as law firms seem pretty stringent on the SQE now. If anyone has advice on this matter, I would be grateful.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Just wanted to ask a question about the LPC. Unfortunately, I wasn’t successful converting my vac schemes. I studied the GDL this year and will continue applying next year. I’m unsure whether I should do the LPC now. On one of my schemes, I was told that if successful, I would have to take the SQE regardless. I don’t want to waste lots of money self-funding the LPC. However, I’m torn as the SRA says you technically can qualify via LPC route up until 2032. I feel like I’ve just wasted a year doing the GDL as law firms seem pretty stringent on the SQE now. If anyone has advice on this matter, I would be grateful.
    the GDL wont be a waste, most law firms are asking that non-law graduate do the PGDL prior to the SQE. I wouldn't self-fund the LPC, as someone that has just finished the LPC I am being told by some firms I would have to SQE2, I only did the LPC as I did it part time starting last year prior to the SQE coming in and I got a full fee scholarship.

The fact you got vac schemes shows you clearly have the potential to get a TC at a firm that sponsors, so focus on apps and maybe try and get some paralegal experience in the next year. Don't waste your money on the LPC!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The GDL won't be wasted - most firms are putting people through the GDL before the SQE prep courses anyway.

I wouldn't commit to the LPC at this stage unless you are planning to start a TC in 2023. Any later than this and its most likely that you will do the SQE anyway. The LPC does give you an exemption to SQE1, but that is a pretty lengthy and expensive way to get the exemption.

Reactions: reesal98 and AvniD

julia_2022

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 23, 2022
    The LPC is pretty intense but no more than 12 hours is manageable. You just have to treat it like a 9-5 (sometimes a few more hours), so as long as you can do the hours alongside balancing whatever else you have going on you will be great! Plus it shows good time management skills for interviews! :) Message me if you have any more questions
    This is very helpful, thank you so much :)

LawEnthus

Star Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hi, does anyone know about how GDL overall grades are catagorised at university of law? I know that if you get 60% outright its a commendation and 70% outright is a distinction, but I know that my undergraduate degree at KCL if we got 68 or 69 but had a certain number of modules in which we had 1sts, we were awarded a 1st overall. is there a similar approach at ulaw for the gdl?

I can’t see any documents on the University of Law website or assessment guidelines about how overall grades are decided. I have not completed all of my modules yet, but based on my current trajectory I am likely to get 68.something or 69 so am interested to know what this could be graded as if I have 1sts in over half my modules when I finish the gdl..?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know about how GDL overall grades are catagorised at university of law? I know that if you get 60% outright its a commendation and 70% outright is a distinction, but I know that my undergraduate degree at KCL if we got 68 or 69 but had a certain number of modules in which we had 1sts, we were awarded a 1st overall. is there a similar approach at ulaw for the gdl?

I can’t see any documents on the University of Law website or assessment guidelines about how overall grades are decided. I have not completed all of my modules yet, but based on my current trajectory I am likely to get 68.something or 69 so am interested to know what this could be graded as if I have 1sts in over half my modules when I finish the gdl..?
    It’s a standardised and regulated course across universities and so it is likely that there won’t be such unique grading systems like an undergraduate degree. I know some people who got a fraction of a percent below a boundary and received the lower grade, so not sure it is even rounded up. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: LawEnthus

reesal98

Nov 2, 2021
    the GDL wont be a waste, most law firms are asking that non-law graduate do the PGDL prior to the SQE. I wouldn't self-fund the LPC, as someone that has just finished the LPC I am being told by some firms I would have to SQE2, I only did the LPC as I did it part time starting last year prior to the SQE coming in and I got a full fee scholarship.

The fact you got vac schemes shows you clearly have the potential to get a TC at a firm that sponsors, so focus on apps and maybe try and get some paralegal experience in the next year. Don't waste your money on the LPC!
    Thanks very much for your advice!

TCLA1234

Standard Member
    May 13, 2022
    Hi there, I have been offered a TC at a city firm (it is my only TC offer for reference). I am a graduate and would be eligible to begin the LPC this year but my firm has no spots left for the 2023 intake, so they want me to begin in 2024 and start the SQE next year. I am a little concerned as they have said I will have to pass all tests the first time, but the pass rate for the SQE part 1 was just 53% and even less for those from ethnic minorities (44%).

Do you think this is something I should raise with them, as I am really worried that I may fail an exam and ultimately lose my TC and possibly have to repay my fees as well? It's quite frustrating as I am worried being one of the SQE 'guinea pigs' may effectively stop my career before it even begins.

@Jessica Booker @AvniD Also, if anyone else has any advice please let me know!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there, I have been offered a TC at a city firm (it is my only TC offer for reference). I am a graduate and would be eligible to begin the LPC this year but my firm has no spots left for the 2023 intake, so they want me to begin in 2024 and start the SQE next year. I am a little concerned as they have said I will have to pass all tests the first time, but the pass rate for the SQE part 1 was just 53% and even less for those from ethnic minorities (44%).

Do you think this is something I should raise with them, as I am really worried that I may fail an exam and ultimately lose my TC and possibly have to repay my fees as well? It's quite frustrating as I am worried being one of the SQE 'guinea pigs' may effectively stop my career before it even begins.

You won't be a guinea pig by the time the 2023 intake starts - there will have been several cohorts by that time.

The LPC pass rate is actually only above 50% too but no one focuses on that, especially on sponsored courses where the pass rate is much higher (like singular % failure rates). I would expect a similar trend with the SQE prep courses. The SQE also will have a lower pass rate as anyone can sit it - technically I could go and sit SQE assessments having not studied any law at all, while that is impossible with the LPC - you have to complete the course before you can sit the exams.

You could raise it with them, but I don't think there is much they can do beyond reassuring you they will support you through the SQE.

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

I agree with Jessica. I think it's a good idea to raise your concerns with the firm as they will be able to reassure you even if they won't be able to shift you on to the 2023 cohort/LPC track. I think people can have a tendency to view the SQE as a concept where the cards are stacked against you because its 1) new 2) it's an exam which requires more independent study than the LPC. But this isn't the case, especially when you're sponsored.

You will likely have a fair amount of support through your firm, prep course provider and peers to get through the SQE. I know it can be daunting because it's fairly new, but like Jessica said, by the time you take it, a few cohorts will have taken it before you and any initial kinks should be smoothed out. The LPC has its own drawbacks, like the SQE, and it isn't the 'better' route between the two- there's a familiarity with it that probably makes it more comfortable to take on.

I hope this helps you feel less worried! Wishing you the best!

TCLA1234

Standard Member
    May 13, 2022
    Thank you @AvniD and @Jessica Booker, that's really useful. It also appears that the firm has the right to request that I repay any costs spent on me in relation to my course if I fail to pass. Do you know if firms typically take candidates up on this as I anticipate the amount that would be repaid would be quite substantial

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @AvniD and @Jessica Booker, that's really useful. It also appears that the firm has the right to request that I repay any costs spent on me in relation to my course if I fail to pass. Do you know if firms typically take candidates up on this as I anticipate the amount that would be repaid would be quite substantial
    For it to be a term in the contract, it must be there in case the firm want to pull back the costs if you were to fail.

However, I suspect in reality it comes down to it being decided on a case by case basis. For instance, if you go AWOL and don’t turn up to lectures/classes and fail off the back of that, the firm is more likely to ask for the fees back than if there are some mitigating circumstances that hindered your academic performance.

One firm I worked at did recall fees (albeit this is a long time ago now) and the fees were not paid back immediately. Basically we came to an agreement where an amount was paid each month - which I think was spread over about seven years. If a firm is asking for the fees back, they are likely to work on a similar basis.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you are well.

I am currently applying for Travers Smith and they have asked for a cover letter. There are no strict requirements but say they generally look for why law/ why them/ why I feel I am a good candidate for the role.

My usual cover letter style is why law and then why the firm ( I always briefly link my reasons for applying to the firm to my experiences). I've never dedicated separate paragraphs to 'why me' because I'm reluctant to repeat the same information I've written under the work experience section.

Would it be sufficient to answer the 'why me' part within the 'why them' section briefly ( as I have been doing for other cover letters- e.g I want to apply to X because of expertise in X. I have experience in X, where I did X'? Or do you recommend I provide more detail than this on 'why me', for example by dedicated a separate paragraph?

Apologies in advance if I've been confusing.

Many thanks

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020

I am currently applying for Travers Smith and they have asked for a cover letter. There are no strict requirements but say they generally look for why law/ why them/ why I feel I am a good candidate for the role.

My usual cover letter style is why law and then why the firm ( I always briefly link my reasons for applying to the firm to my experiences). I've never dedicated separate paragraphs to 'why me' because I'm reluctant to repeat the same information I've written under the work experience section.

Would it be sufficient to answer the 'why me' part within the 'why them' section briefly ( as I have been doing for other cover letters- e.g I want to apply to X because of expertise in X. I have experience in X, where I did X'? Or do you recommend I provide more detail than this on 'why me', for example by dedicated a separate paragraph?

Many thanks
    Hey, thought I could chip in - I think the structure you suggested initially works well with implementing the 'why me' aspects into your 'why them' - I did the same thing for the Travers vacation scheme application this cycle, and it worked well for me to get a TC with them. Let me know if want help with the app and I'll be happy to help out.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey, thought I could chip in - I think the structure you suggested initially works well with implementing the 'why me' aspects into your 'why them' - I did the same thing for the Travers vacation scheme application this cycle, and it worked well for me to get a TC with them. Let me know if want help with the app and I'll be happy to help out.
    How many words did you do if you don't mind me asking. As graduate recruitment said they want it short like 500 words and not long like 800 words.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Many thanks
    The “why you” part can describe more of the aspects your CV doesn’t cover. There is no point covering in detail the things you have done, but what your CV won’t tell your reader is why you enjoyed things, why you did them, and what you feel you personally gained from them.

Bestkid98

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 22, 2020
    How many words did you do if you don't mind me asking. As graduate recruitment said they want it short like 500 words and not long like 800 words.
    My cover letter was 935 words - I understand that I may be the exception, not the rule. But I must say that every word I included in my cover letter added to the overall application, which made me progress to the next stage.

I don't think the issue is the length of the cover letter per se,instead it is what you are writing adding value to you standing out as an applicant to graduate recruitment - because every member of that team reads the application extensively.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.